Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

PDA - Where is the line?

Steve

Practically Family
Veronica Parra said:
Sad to say, a lot of rapes (and other barbaric acts) occurred on VJ day. This "couple" has never been found, so we don't know if they were even a couple or not. Plenty of guys just grabbed women off the street and kissed them (or more). I see no sign of consent in this nurse's body language. She may well have been grabbed against her will. Hope the sailor's breath didn't reek, eh?

In any case, a bit of public deep kissing between consenting partners is preferable to some guy gluing his mouth onto some less-than-willing stranger's face.
Actually, as spontaneous as that photo looks, it was staged.

Strider

One of the Regulars
There's nothing necessarily gross about french kissing, but there CAN be something disrespectful about it, IMHO.

There is something to be said for public decency, and keeping intimate things that should be private PRIVATE. When you don't have a boyfriend/girlfriend, it's distracting (and frankly, a little depressing) to see some other couple happily going at it when you're just trying to enjoy a cup of coffee.

Like the man said, you shouldn't bust out a wad of bills in front of the penniless. The fact is, a lot of people know their blatant public snogging is making those around them uncomfortable, and yet they continue to do it. "Who cares?" THEY should. I regularly dump my drink on rabid PDA'ers as I am leaving the establishment.

Veronica Parra said:
I know you can find better things to do than stand and stare at couples engaging in major PDA. Just let them be.

Ok, so ... what? Are you better than us, now? Just because a few people find something they believe to be uncouth annoying? You know, I'm sure there are lots of things that annoy you. How would you like it if someone implied you and your feelings were silly and petty by saying "you can find something better to do..." Not cool. :rage: Go ahead and reply with the little violin man icon all you want, but to do so would be a disregard for the feelings of others besides yourself, and that IS petty.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Well, hopefully Strider you'll find someone soon to get all lovey dovey with!
Some things I see I think I get more upset because what I view as disrespect for the girl. Examples, are grabbing thier breasts in public and butt...I see no reason for this, and find as far as the girl is concerned, not treating her like a lady.

Briscoeteque

One of the Regulars
Strider said:
I regularly dump my drink on rabid PDA'ers as I am leaving the establishment.

I hope you're kidding, because this is simply horrible. If someone spilled anything on my clothes, they'd be in a fight pretty quick. Any time I spill anything on anyone else by accident I give them a couple of bucks because it's a terrible thing to happen. Most people find this weird. But if the dirty bum who spilled beer on my suede shoes gave me a five afterwards, it would soften the blow a bunch, let me tell you.

PDA in my book is the equivelent of a parking offense, purposefully spilling anything is a near capital offense.

It's also only disrespect if the person is disrespected. Many people actually like this treatment, it's sorry for them, but you can't get offended for somebody else.

Strider

One of the Regulars
mysterygal said:
Well, hopefully Strider you'll find someone soon to get all lovey dovey with!

I don't have that problem. :) Contrary to popular belief, a person can have a significant other and still find PDA disrespectful. I appreciate your sentiment, though, even if I would not have believed it had the problem been one I was experiencing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL