Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

PDA - Where is the line?

Strider

One of the Regulars
Just a quick refresher course.

PDA = Public Display of Affection or Publicly Displaying Affection

Where is the line for this? I keep going out and about my business to find people playing tonsil hockey in public like it's cool. Is it just me? [huh] I really think this kind of stuff should be reserved for the privacy of your home (or room, as the case may be :eek: ). A kiss on the cheek, or a quick peck on the lips is acceptable, IMO, and holding hands, or having an arm around someone.

To me, this gets back to the basic human condition of: "I have it, you don't, nyah nyah!" Grabbing someone's butt in public, or pay-per-view esque kissing is downright rude and disrespectful to everyone around the offenders. "Just ignore it". Why should I have to? :rage: Why can't these people be decent and reserve these things for private?

I have a girlfriend, but I remember when I didn't, and I remember just how much watching other people be all lovey dovey and makey outey in public made me feel like some kind of loser; a schmuck. Where is the line?

It seems that every bus station in the world suffers from this plague.

Whenever i step off the bus to be greeted by a veritable brothel of teenaged girls and boys, limping along like they have horrid war wounds (apparently this is how their idols walk?), i inevitably have to witness such a display. Whatever. It's less disturbing than having to look at the sneering, meth-high, ne'er-do-well, i'm going to stab you for not looking just like everyone else in my particular societally-prescribed pigeon hole faces that would confront one if they weren't kissing each other.

So, all in all, if they're PDAing, they're less likely to attack me. This is a good thing.

bk

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I really don't see a whole lot of this. I just find it more annoying than anything, especially the whole tonsil hockey display! It is not something that should need a public audience.
The whole lovey dovey thing, depends on the mood I am in that particular day...sometimes I think 'oh, how cute'. And other days, it's just a rolling of the eyes.

magneto

Practically Family
Baron Kurtz said:
So, all in all, if they're PDAing, they're less likely to attack me. This is a good thing.
Ah, but what if they're PDAing and the macho half of the pair, his eye wandering and sentiments inflamed, interprets your attempt to edge by (suppressing your grimace) as "you checkin' out my wommin" and decides to clobber you over the head? ;)

Feraud

Bartender
magneto said:
Ah, but what if they're PDAing and the macho half of the pair, his eye wandering and sentiments inflamed, interprets your attempt to edge by (suppressing your grimace) as "you checkin' out my wommin" and decides to clobber you over the head? ;)
You clobber back twofold. ;)

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I remember thinking at 16 that kissing in public was incredibly romantic. Bus stations, on train rides, etc. I imagine everyone within a 50' radius wanted to kill us.

So I assume anyone else doing it is an idiot, and I just hope they grow up too, and I can't hate too hard.

Strider

One of the Regulars
The other day, I was leaving a mall with a friend of mine, and noticed a couple had come down a set of stairs, and just stopped to make out. Everyone else was walking around them, obviously annoyed. I had just finished my soda anyway, so I reached in and grabbed a handful of ice. I told my friend: "This oughtta cool 'em off", and threw the handful of ice at them. They probably didn't think it was too cool, but everyone else around them did. lol

When I am in a restaurant, I've been known to holler: "GET A ROOM!"

LizzieMaine

Bartender
There's a time and a place for everything...

Eisenstadt.jpg

If you're gonna get all squicky in public, try to save it for special occasions like V-J Day or something. Otherwise, it loses the dramatic impact.

(BTW, I have always loved the expression on Grandma's face just behind and to the right of the happy couple. No doubt she's remembering how old Zeke planted one on her when the boys came marching home from San Juan Hill.)

Etienne

A-List Customer
In this picture it seems like everyone is experiencing something together, in one way or another. They're all part of "the moment" and, as such, their PDA is partly felt by all, due to the extraordinary circumstances. Your average PDA is generally a very private affair, carried out in a very public place--an exhibition of sorts. I agree that the young are basically clueless as to the impact of their behavior and one hopes that one day they will grow up!

VintageJess

One of the Regulars
LizzieMaine said:
(BTW, I have always loved the expression on Grandma's face just behind and to the right of the happy couple. No doubt she's remembering how old Zeke planted one on her when the boys came marching home from San Juan Hill.)

Love your post Lizzie! I will admit to publicly planting a big one on my husband everytime he returns from deployments!

And the sailor to the back left is wondering why he hadn't thought of "that" first!

Jessica

CharlieH.

One Too Many
Whenever I see a couple on the verge of going at it like newlyweds in public view (or even just holding hands), I must fight the urge of pulling out a knife or a tommy gun. You just can't show off wads of cash in front of the penniless.

artdecodame

One of the Regulars
Viola said:
I remember thinking at 16 that kissing in public was incredibly romantic...

I still basically believe that, too, but it's a slightly different situation for me since my boyfriend is so far away. Still, I don't go as far as some teenagers these days- sheesh! :p

HistWardrobe

Vendor
amen

I nominate Lizzie for the Best Post of the Week award. Excellent points, very well written. I was going to post the same photo myself had she not already done so but couldn't have made those points half as wittily and certainly not as succinctly. Well done!

Viola

Call Me a Cab
CharlieH. said:
Whenever I see a couple on the verge of going at it like newlyweds in public view (or even just holding hands), I must fight the urge of pulling out a knife or a tommy gun. You just can't show off wads of cash in front of the penniless.

By that logic, being mad at people for kissing is not that different from being grumpy at people walking down the street with ice cream cones because its hot out and you don't have one. Go gitcha some! lol

Strider

One of the Regulars
Viola said:
By that logic, being mad at people for kissing is not that different from being grumpy at people walking down the street with ice cream cones because its hot out and you don't have one. Go gitcha some! lol

However, not everything is as easy to "gitcha some" of as ice cream is. :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL