Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pea coat fit

Whithead

Familiar Face
I just bought a Fidelity Pea Coat in size 52, which I need for my shoulders and arm length.

My waist is a 36 and this makes the coat a bit big around the middle...what should these fit like?

I am considering having it tailored to bring it in a bit - if for no other reason than to keep the breeze from getting up under it.

Thanks!

JanSolo

Practically Family
Well, a military peacoat is supposed to have a quite narrow torso with high armholes. They are ususally less boxy than their civilian relatives. Here's my NOS 1968 Dale Fashions Navy peacoat:

5335191035_8046be6f10_z.jpg

5335191037_0d87345f23_z.jpg

Here's the full review:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...oat…(Yes-that-tree-is-also-in-it!)&highlight=

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I have a recent Sterlingwear coat (10-button, non-vented back) that also has a shockingly wide waist/bottom sweep vs. its chest/armholes.

In my case, it works (it's a 50S and I need a big waist/hips - I'm a 42-44 waist with 46-48 shoulders), but I can see how someone who's not a widebody would be swimming in this coat. Pea coat sizing is definitely strange!

Peacoat

Bartender
I just bought a Fidelity Pea Coat in size 52, which I need for my shoulders and arm length.

My waist is a 36 and this makes the coat a bit big around the middle...what should these fit like?

I am considering having it tailored to bring it in a bit - if for no other reason than to keep the breeze from getting up under it.

Thanks!

Have your coat tailored to the same fit as Jan shows in his pics. That is the way all of my size 42 vintage peacoats fit, and it is the classic peacoat look. Just don't worry about the tree in the background; it's there for a purpose.

eClairvaux

One of the Regulars
So does Jan!

With a physique like that, that tree can wear anything and still look sharp.

Unlike me, since I have been looking to buy a peacoat for ages, but have a hard time finding one that will fit my shoulders while not being too large around the hips.
That's what has kept me from buying a vintage item so far, although I must admit the tech version from stone island's shadow project looked tempting as well.

Dodo

Familiar Face
Hi guys!! it's my 1st post here and, over the fact that TFL is an amazing place to find reasons to spend (happily) a lot of money, it's great for informations, news and support for the perfect clothing purchase.
By the way, I want a vintage army peacot even if it could be not so nice on me as it is on Iansolo and his favourite tree. Compliment guys!!!
I'm 39.5' chest and 5,4 (165 cm) long (short!!) and 38 waist but i like slim fit (i always buy jacket, shirt and coat this way). so, do you think it's better for me to find at vintagetrends.com a 38 or a 40 size peacoat? Which misures i have to give to the guys to have a great jacket?
thanks for help
Dodo

JanSolo

Practically Family
Hello and welcome. I'd say you probably need a size 38 short. The standard length will be too long for you. I am 6'1 (186cm) and my peacoat is a 38 regular. A 38 short is not difficult to find. Check VT regularly and you'll find a decent one for a good price.
Our own expert Peacoat might probably confirm my advice concerning the correct sizing. Peacoat?

Peacoat

Bartender
Yes, I agree with Jan, you need a 38S.

If you like Jan's tree, you ain't seen nothing. His girlfriend is one of the most beautiful women of the western world. And that is no exaggeration. Maybe some day he will talk her into modeling one of his jackets and post the picture.

Welcome to the Forum. As you know, there is a lot of information on here.

Peacoat

Bartender
He's got something going with the hedge?

Anyway, since I am 6 ft and a good 42, what should i get?

If your measured chest size is 42" or 43" (106.75cm or 109.2cm) I think a size 42 in vintage (pre 1980) would be a good fit. At the top of this page in a sticky is an article on "Peacoat Dating." Toward the end is a section on the sizing of peacoats. If you are contemplating a vintage US Navy peacoat, the whole article should be of interest to you.

Dave E: Perfect fit and a cute little girl. She is keeping her bunny warm in the cold weather and snow. Can't have those bunnies get cold!

[Edit Note: Actually the stickies are at the top of the first page of the Outerwear section. I just noticed they aren't on the response pages.]

Last edited:

JanSolo

Practically Family
Dave, that's a sharp looking coat. Great fit! It really goes well with the rest of your clothing. And your daughter is simply adorable!! I love her hat and scarf! ...But since I got a soft spot for trees...maybe you could introduce me to one of the ivy covered birches in the background.

Peacoat, thanks for the compliments regarding my girlfriend. One day I'll get her to model a vintage shirt or t-shirt, but a heavy Aero jacket or a peacoat would look absolutely silly on her. So far I couldn't talk her into an Aero or something similar and apart from that she already owns a really well made and neat fitting leather jacket (in a size that Aero would call a kid's size...). She has a strong interest in fashion which leads to a tremendous style with loads of vintage references but she doesn't care too much about stuff that's not readily available or accessible...

eClairvaux, how could you tell I had an affair with the hedge in the far background?... Well, the tree sadly passed away last night after it stabbed itself the day before yesterday (see picture). The wound wasn't too deep. I guess it partly died of broken heart...

Last edited:

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
My girlfriend looks sexy in my too big cafe racer.
I think a smaller and shorter one would look really good on her. Maybe in cherry.

Could it be done to fit?

JanSolo

Practically Family
Ask Gancho. He had Aero make a fur collared A2 for his girlfriend. I think Aero don't have templates for jackets smaller than size 36. A Cafe Racer in size 32 would be incredibly uncomfortable if it would be made from FQHH. Girls always prefer softer hides anyway.

Dave E

One of the Regulars
Peacoat & Jan: Thanks for the compliments on my little girl, she is the cutest little girl in the world in my opinion :D (What, me, biased? Surely not...)

Dave, that's a sharp looking coat. Great fit! It really goes well with the rest of your clothing. And your daughter is simply adorable!! I love her hat and scarf! ...But since I got a soft spot for trees...maybe you could introduce me to one of the ivy covered birches in the background.

Jan, those birch are just bad news, real tramp trees. You wouldn't believe the reputation they have, or the one they deserve! I do know a very eligible eucalyptus that lives in our garden that I'd be more than happy to introduce a fella to, though ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart