Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Peacoat repros or similar items

green papaya

One Too Many
FedoraGent said:
I would like to find a peacoat that would fit a large guy. Any ideas? I'm sure Tony in Tarzana would like it too.

FG

the foreign made copies of the USN peacoats are cut fuller than military issue peacoats

if your a big guy, I would recommend a foreign made copy of a navy peacoat

because military issue peacoats have a tailored fit in the shoulders and are made for slimmer body types.

Starius

Practically Family
I poked my head in the Knight's Chamber Men's Clothiers store in Rochester, MN yesterday to see if they had any waistcoats, but saw a great looking Peacoat there. The odd thing was the color... it was actually peasoup green! I don't recall seeing a men's peacoat that wasnt either black or navy before. I didn't check the price though because pretty much everything there is too expensive for me right now. (I also saw a great Sherlock Holmes looking jacket but it was $500.)

KilroyCD

One Too Many

Edward

Bartender
Starius said:
Wow a khaki peacoat.... wouldn't that almost look like a trench coat that was cut in half?

The US Army Jeep Coats from WW2 era were similar to a peacoat and khaki, though if I recall correctly the lapels were differently shaped (a sort of shawl collar look, i think, from memory). Schott make a contemporary jeep coat in a tan/khaki colour with a belt and it does indeed look something akin to a trenchcoat cut off at the upper thigh. I can see them being very practical in situations in which a longer coat would be a pain (such as....well, jumping in and out of a jeep all day and driving in colder weather....), though I have myself over the last few years come to regard a shorter coat like that as suitable only for casual wear, i.e. without a suit jacket or sports coat underneath. Don't sit quite right on top of either of those, generally there's a dange of an inch or two of the jacketp oking out below the coat, which never looks good IMHO. Just this morning, I saw a guy on the tube, otherwise quite smartly dressed in a contemporary suit, but wearing a short, waist-length anorak over the top, and six inches of jacket sticking out below all the way round. :rolleyes: Bad look!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy