Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pecards Dressing and the Smithsonian

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
We've often heard the link between these two for some years but what exactly is the relationship?

I contacted Jessica Johnson, Head of Conservation at the Smithsonian she responded that they do not endorse Pecards. She added that dressings are not considered appropriate for preserving leather. They rely on environmental controls of humidity and temperature.

She also referred me to an old government publication which documents tests of various dressings on leather. The findings were pretty old but essentially stated that the dressings give an illusion of preserving leather through shine and temporary softness but in actuality the dressings tend to breakdown the fibres in the long term. The study concluded there was no evidence that dressings were useful.

http://www.nps.gov/museum/publications/conserveogram/09-01.pdf

I write this not to start conflict between dressing versus non dressing people. I just thought it was interesting.

I looked at the Pecards website and couldn't find any reference to the Smithsonian Institution. Has this been removed?

Last edited:

AdeeC

Practically Family
Perhaps we all need a temperature controlled wardrobe and humidifier and only wear leather products in dim light?
I don't consider myself an expert but I have noticed over the years that well cared for and dressed leather items I owned last far longer than others that were never looked after. I think the museums are more into preserving original finishes in a static, stable "as is" condition rather than keeping them wearable or usable. Maybe Pecards told porkies. Not unusual or a big deal in the commercial world.
I find this argument similar to all the expert warnings and advice on what one should not eat. If followed diligently we will all starve.

Last edited:

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Seb, that's good news. I think it's absolutely correct to challenge assumptions and claims.
Leather is organic. With the best will (and care) in the world, it will not endure forever.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I've always thought the use of conditioners was the equivalent of a lick of paint on an knackered old car: it will make it look shiny and new, but you can't turn the clock back on the physical state of the car itself.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
totally different purpose I think, in museum those leather pieces are meant to stay in place on a hanger, or on a bust, not meant to be worn, they need no conditioner like mummy also not needing any conditioner, as long as they stay preserved as static objects, once you take it of the hanger and wearing them then it will crumble to pieces.

for wearing guess we need them conditioned to make the best of it longer.

Well, from personal experience, I can tell you that the Pecards did only good to any leather garment I've applied it on. Pair of Engineer boots that I have, that were once crackling from dryness, are now soft and pliable and just healthy looking boots. Ditto for the belt. And I don't know, it always seemed to me that mummy would benefit from a little conditioner.

Someone, and I temporarily forgot who it was due to the extremely severe migraine episode that's wreaking havoc through my brain as I type this, once told me that all the Ducks are the same, with the only difference being the package. For what it's worth, I purchased a bucket of an Antique Leather Care only because it was the only variant available within the borders of the European Union, but it seems to be doing a fine job nonetheless.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
I have no idea what this 'duck' talk is all about.
The only duck I know is crispy (@_@)

Big J, this one:
04KYeE7S.jpeg

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?44676-What-leather-conditioner-do-you-use&highlight=conditioner

Last edited:

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
after more reading on the site, seems like there are at least 2 different kind
one for "uncoated" leather, I suspect that means: aniline/ semi, pull up, naked, all those things
one for "finished" leather, coated I guess and patent, some motorcycle jacket

I guess there won't be harmful to get conditioner for uncoated one applied even to a coated leather
but I guess the one designed for coated leather might contains something that might harm uncoated leather?

John Lever

One Too Many
I always remove it when I buy a used jacket that has been ruined by conditioner. Often a dry white grease deposit is found in seams and thread when the goo has dried out. On more than one occasion a jacket that looked perfect on the ebay listing has arrived newly coated with the stuff and looks like someone has just rubbed it with grease.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
How do you remove the stuff, John? I'm always anxious that I could overdo it by accident and render a jacket a soggy mess.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner