Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pencil Mustache

LizzieMaine

Bartender
A question: Can we figure out when the pencil mustache trend began--what films first starred leading men wearing pencil thins? Who were some of the pioneers of the trend between Gable and Flynn? And when did the trend die out as a mainstream stylistic choice? Could we list some films where a man with a pencil thin mustache is either the lead character or at least a side character?

That style of moustache was identified with Douglas Fairbanks, Ronald Colman, and John Gilbert long before Gable or Flynn were ever heard of -- it's as much a '20s style as it is a '30s, but by the end of the twenties it was often considered the badge of a gigolo or a fake European count as much as it was the sign of suavity -- a lot of lounge-lizards and cake-eaters were wearing such moustaches in order to look sophisticated, and that tended to put it in bad odor with a lot of people. Gable and Flynn made it respectable again, but they didn't create it.

A good example of how pencil moustaches were viewed by the ordinary public in the late twenties can be seen in Buster Keaton's "Steamboat Bill Jr.," where Buster is the effette college-boy son of a rough and tough riverboat captain. He comes home for the summer wearing a pencil moustache and carrying a ukulele -- much to his old man's disgust.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
I believe that the pencil mustache evolved from the smallish, pointy-ended mustache favored in the late 'teens and early '20s. Adolphe Menjou wore the pointy mustache for most of his long screen career; Douglas Fairbanks Sr.'s first mustache was similar to Menjou's, but not for long. (Fairbanks had been cleanshaven throughout the 'teens.)

x6n1xevi9vg3n6xg.jpg

Fairbanks-.jpg

Last edited:

FedoraFan112390

Practically Family
It's a great vintage look on a lot of people, and can really set things off, especially if you're shooting for a WW2 era look, IMO. That said I won't attempt any sort of facial hair myself, especially not a tache on its own. When I was thinning too much for a buzzcut to hide it, I elected to shave my head. Tache with that looks too "wannabe-military" for me.

If I may:

It's your own body and choice of course, but speaking as a straight male (who worries he'll go bald himself), I always thought there was something a bit bold about not hiding your baldness by shaving your head. The idea of a generally bald head, with the remaining hairs slicked back (ala Gerald Ford or James Gandofini) always had an air of gravitas to me.

Connery

One Too Many
Stan Cross (1888–1977) "an imposing, tall man with a pencil-thin moustache, spectacles and a birthmark on his left cheek. One of Australia's most famous cartoonists, known for his ‘Wally and the Major’ and ‘The Potts’ cartoon strips."

cross.jpg

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
He isn't a celebrity, but I think my sweetie could do it, ala' a 30-40ish Don Ameche. He had a full, longer moustache with whiskers, and recently (just for me- a delightful surprise!) let go of the whiskers (which had more gray and white in them than the stache) and shortened the moustache width- both of which I thought made him look older than his young-at-heart, high energy level suggested. I'm gently working with him on the idea of his keeping the depth of the stache kept more regularily trimmed up, as it seems to grow very quickly onto his upper lip. I've seen pics of him sans moustache and he looks better with one!

I think there are some youngish (30's) celebs that could look good with a pencil- but I'd like to see the 2 day stubble look end first! That spoiled Robert Downey's, Jrs. look for me in SH2.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch