Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Penman Hats

bendingoak

Vendor
Ian said:
Here's a couple that I've just taken from my phone, so they're not brilliant. This is my Akubra Fed IV, which I believe has the following - 5 7/8" Crown height, 2 1/2" to 2 3/4" brim.

DSC00018.jpg

http://i745.photobucket.com/albums/xx94/Ian_peers_2/DSC00019.jpg?t=1265299971

I reckon the brim could stand to be a little wider as per your specs of 2 7/8" and 2 5/8", but I'll take your advice. Ian

From those shots it looks like the crown is a tad to tall. Whats your size again?

I

Ian

bendingoak said:
From those shots it looks like the crown is a tad to tall. Whats your size again?

The Fed IV in that shot is a 60cm, which is too big. My AB says 23 1/4" in the sweat and that fits perfectly, so I assume that's my size. I measured my head 3 times according to Steve's instructions and I got 59.5cm, 59.5cm and 59cm. From that Steve made me a 23 1/4"

I

Ian

Yes it is the CS that Steve made for me. Sorry I don't know the crown height, it's a bit difficult to measure, but the brim specs are pretty much as per your raiders (the brim is also difficult to measure becasue of the radius in the crown/brim transition). Steve never told me the specs, he just asked for my 3 sizes and had a picture of me. I think the brim on the Fed IV in the earlier pictures is shy of the dimensions stated on the website.

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
Ian said:
(the brim is also difficult to measure becasue of the radius in the crown/brim transition

Sorry...but I`m not quite getting the technicalities here...you mean its not dimensional or uniform? Any dimensions at all?

I

Ian

Hi. I reckon it's as John said in the previous message that for a 23" hat size, the brim would be 2 5/8" and 2 7/8". I'm having problems getting an exact size because there is a radius in the corner where the crown turns into the brim under the ribbon. Obviously you can't make that corner 90 degrees, so it's difficult to get the edge of the rule to where the center or the radius is. Sorry, probably being too picky, but because of that, my measurments can vary 3 to 4mm, or about 1/8".

bendingoak

Vendor
daizawaguy said:
Sorry...but I`m not quite getting the technicalities here...you mean its not dimensional or uniform? Any dimensions at all?

I wouldn't make a hat for someone who has a head measurement of 22 1/2 inches and let say someone with a 24 inch head measurement with the same specs. The other factor that would change the specs for any given hat would be seeing a photo of the person to see the shape of their face. The more info I have the better I can spec out the hat for that person.

Example:

a 5 1/2 open crown with a non-dim. cut brim of 2 1/2. Would not look same on both guys of 22 1/2 and 24 inches. The other factor would change all that is of course is face shape.

What's the point to going to a custom hatter if you get off the rack specs?

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Ian, I concur with those who said the front is too tall.

I have a Fed IV also, and my first bash looked a lot like yours. After having the hat for a while, and allowing it time to conform to my head, I dropped just the front of my pinch by wetting it and pushing it down inside the front of the dent about a 1/8 to a 1/4 inch. It changed the whole look of the hat, and Im very happy with it now.

In any case, I dont think a Fed IV will conform perfectly to any of the IJ hats, but for me, its close enough, and I love the way it looks on me, and thats what really counts, imho.

theinterchange

One Too Many
scottyrocks said:
In any case, I dont think a Fed IV will conform perfectly to any of the IJ hats, but for me, its close enough, and I love the way it looks on me, and thats what really counts, imho.

You must have missed Holt's Raiders Fed IV thread on COW then. That hat is impressive.

Randy

I

Ian

bendingoak said:
I wouldn't make a hat for someone who has a head measurement of 22 1/2 inches and let say someone with a 24 inch head measurement with the same specs. The other factor that would change the specs for any given hat would be seeing a photo of the person to see the shape of their face. The more info I have the better I can spec out the hat for that person.

Example:

a 5 1/2 open crown with a non-dim. cut brim of 2 1/2. Would not look same on both guys of 22 1/2 and 24 inches. The other factor would change all that is of course is face shape.

What's the point to going to a custom hatter if you get off the rack specs?

Yup, no point. The fed IV and the AB were just mentioned for reference. I don't want to tell John the specs I want for the Raiders hat cos I would just be wrong and like he said, a 3" brim would look stingy on an 8' bloke. (I'm paraphrasing). John's a legend in the hat making world, I mean, just look at Jlee562's Penman!! I was unsure whether I wanted a LC or a Raiders, but with all the info it's defo gotta be a Raiders. :) Roll on 5 months!!!

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Ian said:
Yup, no point. The fed IV and the AB were just mentioned for reference. I don't want to tell John the specs I want for the Raiders hat cos I would just be wrong and like he said, a 3" brim would look stingy on an 8" bloke. (I'm paraphrasing). John's a legend in the hat making world, I mean, just look at Jlee562's Penman!! I was unsure whether I wanted a LC or a Raiders, but with all the info it's defo gotta be a Raiders. :) Roll on 5 months!!!

Thanks for the nod!

My hat got even better after I got it out in the rain....I did a little brim shaping and just accentuated the bash when I got it back inside.

John's a master craftsman for sure.

jnicktem

One of the Regulars
Ian said:
Anybody got a LC Indy hat from John? Most of the ones knocking around seem to be the Raiders. I've ordered a Raiders, but I'm wondering about the LC now. Just wanted to see the difference. Dunno if it's the same hat with a different bash or completely different block and dimensional cut.

Here's some pics of my LC from Penman Hats:

PENMANLC003.jpg

PENMANLC004.jpg

PENMANLC005.jpg

PENMANLC006.jpg

And a couple of me wearing it:

PENMANLC011-1.jpg

PENMANLC.jpg

I

Ian

That's awesome!!!:eusa_clap Really suits as well! I bet you never take it off ;)

That felt looks really smooth. It is beaver, right?

Pilot99

Familiar Face
Since we are praising Penman, I'd like to share mine. This is the Watchmen Fedora that Rorschach wore, mine is 7 1/2. It's my 2nd fedora, also a beautiful hat.

img1361jk.jpg

photoqk.jpg

jnicktem

One of the Regulars
Ian said:
That's awesome!!!:eusa_clap Really suits as well! I bet you never take it off ;)

That felt looks really smooth. It is beaver, right?

Thanks! I really do think it suits me quite well! And yes, it is 100% beaver! John did a GREAT pouncing job and the felt is very smooth!

I

Ian

Pilot99 said:
Since we are praising Penman, I'd like to share mine. This is the Watchmen Fedora that Rorschach wore, mine is 7 1/2. It's my 2nd fedora, also a beautiful hat.

That is class!!! Looks spot on as well! :)

Pilot99

Familiar Face
Thanks man, I just love the look of the hat, I'll post more pics of it...actually on me under new hats probably. I have talked with John (penman hats owner) and he really helped to nail down the hat perfectly for me, I would truly recommend his hats to anyone. I especially like his version of the Indy fedora, but I have a friend who has an adventurebuilt and if I'm going for an Indy fedora that is going to have to be it lol.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
jnicktem said:
Here's some pics of my LC from Penman Hats:

PENMANLC003.jpg

PENMANLC004.jpg

PENMANLC005.jpg

PENMANLC006.jpg

And a couple of me wearing it:

PENMANLC011-1.jpg

PENMANLC.jpg

Man, I would be burried in that hat if I looked that good

No, wait a minute, not buried ... bronzed

Yeah

I'd be bronzed in that hat if I looked that good!

Great lid!:eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StrangeRay