Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Penman Hats

bendingoak

Vendor
I hear you brother. I live in the 2nd most rainy state in the country so a hat that can withstand rain is a must for me as well. Thats why I use that naptha based rain protection. There are 2 things I like about it. It doesn't change the felt in anyway and water beads on the hat. The down side is that I tried to re-block a hat after I used this stuff and it was very hard to get the hat wet. I can do it but it gives me more work.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
avedwards said:
It's not as bad here in the Midlands in England, but it still rains frequently enough, and sometimes I have to go out in it whether I like it or not, so a rain proof hat is a must.

You can trust Oak's felt for rain. It's pretty much the best of the so-called "dress felts," plus a little extra treatment. Oak just likes being painfully up front about what he's selling. Technically it's not a rain hat.

The other thing is, even if rain causes shrinking or tapering over time, the felt should remain perfectly sound, and could be reblocked. Fact is, even the best felt hats will need a little TLC eventually.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
avedwards said:
Will it be OK for hand bashing though? I really want to have an open crown hat to hand bash but if it's hard to block will it be hard to shape?

Mine was done by hand. Just a touch of steam or water was used for the stubborn spots. :)

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Penman rabbit

I still want one but I'd have to go for a rabbit one to lower the cost (this isn't a complaint, the cost is more than reasonable but I am extremely short on cash).

I have mixed feelings about rabbit though. On one hand, Akubras are rabbit and they sound tough, on the other hand many people here say rabbit is inferior to beaver and not worth bothering with.

So how good are Penman rabbit hats? I'm not bothered about softness or how luxurious it feels, all I care about is durability.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
The only reason I'm worried is because this hat is intended to be worn every day for a few years at least. I don't rotate hats, I wear one all the time and that one has to last.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
The rabbit is very durable. All of the hats in my rotation the last few years are rabbit, same felt as Penman's. Haven't had any problems with them holding up to the weather and my abuse. I heartily recommend the rabbit, if that's all you can afford. It won't let you down.

Brad

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Since you seem to be a major hat wear I'll take your word for it Brad. Thanks for the advice. I'll be ordering one as soon as I have sufficient funds. But considering I said that to Art and Metropd and changed my mind both times, that might be a long time.

dostacos

Practically Family
here are a couple of shots of my "Marlo"

pen2.jpg

pen1.jpg

I also have 2 hats on order, a third for my son{a Rorschach} and a re-block for my daughter in law when my son and daughter in-laws hats come in we will do a photo shoot with my Marlo and their hats in the mean time it is empty hat time:eusa_doh:

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
When I spoke to John about his rabbit felt, he told me that they were slightly higher quality (or grade or some such term :eusa_doh: ) than Akubra's Fed deluxe is made from, but softer in feel. Basically, as long as some horrible tragedy does not befall a good rabbit felt hat, all it should need is cleaning and reblocks every few years in order to last a decade or so. Maybe even longer. The main problem with rabbit is that the hat will probably taper faster than a beaver felt, but both ultimately need the same care. It's just a difference of frequency.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I'm still in the process of saving up until I can finally have my first custom....

But meanwhile, I have a question. Does John make liteweight felts? The sort which can be worn comfortably in summer (no straws for me please) and maybe even rolled up? I really like the idea of a rollable hat which pops to an open crown and can be creased differently whenever I feel like it. I got the idea from the Christy's foldaway but I doubt that will be anywhere near as durable as a Penman.

I've done nothing but ask questions on this thread, however I want to get it right when I go for a custom as money is too short for more than one.

billyspew

One Too Many
avedwards said:
I'm still in the process of saving up until I can finally have my first custom....

But meanwhile, I have a question. Does John make liteweight felts? The sort which can be worn comfortably in summer (no straws for me please) and maybe even rolled up? I really like the idea of a rollable hat which pops to an open crown and can be creased differently whenever I feel like it. I got the idea from the Christy's foldaway but I doubt that will be anywhere near as durable as a Penman.

I've done nothing but ask questions on this thread, however I want to get it right when I go for a custom as money is too short for more than one.

Probably not as durable but for 55 pounds not bad and will last for a number of years at least. I have handled them and they are quite thin, yet very dense felt. Not bad looking either.

TTFN,

Bill

Edit: Forgot to say - You should still save up for a custom - wasn't trying to sell you a Christys!

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I'm not interested in the Chrisy's really anyway, I just like the idea. I've had enough modern factory produced hats, so I finally want a hand made one. John's website doesn't mention anything about liteweight felts though so I thought I'd ask.

bendingoak

Vendor
avedwards said:
I'm not interested in the Chrisy's really anyway, I just like the idea. I've had enough modern factory produced hats, so I finally want a hand made one. John's website doesn't mention anything about liteweight felts though so I thought I'd ask.

I'm currently looking into light weight rabbit felt but Haven't found any that I like the quality of. My current rabbit even though not consider light weight is still very nice for summer wear. If that is anyones concern and the quality is very high.

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
GREEN WHIPPET RESTORED

John restored this green stetson whippet with vintage ribbon and a new sweatband. I've given flash and non-flash photos for color comparison.

Needless to say I'm very pleased!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran