Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Penney's Marathon Beaver 100 Hat And Suitcase

Landman

One Too Many
In the old documentary film about Stetson you can see one of the Stetson employees cutting sweatbands from a larger piece of leather. The film is from the early years of Stetson so maybe they outsourced the sweatbands later or (like Ole suggested) that larger piece of leather had these stamps on it. I can't remember the name of the video but I think it is available on Youtube.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
The stamp on the back of the sweatband is the sweatband cutters stamp. At one time Stetson made their own sweatbands, but they hadn't for a long time. Just because the Churchill 100 has that stamp in back of the sweat, doesn't mean it was made by Stetson. It means the leather was purchased from the same leather cutter company who stamped the back of the leather.

Here is a thread I started a couple years back about it.....

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?56060-SWEATBAND-MANUFACTURE-STAMPS-THREAD-(Not-hat-manufactures)

DRUCO was also a major cutting house.

Landman

One Too Many
Thanks Josh! After reading your thread I'm assuming that stamp is the union stamp of the "Brotherhood of Leather Cutters". Is that your opinion too? It would certainly explain why it is on the sweatband of different manufacturers.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Josh! After reading your thread I'm assuming that stamp is the union stamp of the "Brotherhood of Leather Cutters". Is that your opinion too? It would certainly explain why it is on the sweatband of different manufacturers.

I would suspect the stamp is from the "Brotherhood of Leather Cutters," but even if its from another Leather Cutters Union, I am SURE that stamp refers to a leather cutting union of some sort. That union supplied sweats to MANY hat companies just as DRUCO did when hat companies stopped making their own sweats. Some companies never made their own sweats, so these stamps are seem on sweatbands ranging many decades and manufactures.

fedoracentric

Banned
I've looked up the Brotherhood of Leather Cutters and find only one union that is close to this name. It is the Brotherhood of Leather Cutters on Horse Goods (i.e. saddlemakers and related leather goods). Otherwise all I could find was the Leather Cutter's Union and one called the Fur And Leather Cutter's Union.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy