Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Penney's Marathon Beaver 100 Hat And Suitcase

Mystic

Practically Family
My question is......did Marathon hats get gobbled up by Hat Corp of America at some point? I think I remember Brad mentioning that they did, but I am not sure. If they did, it would help date Landman's hat because like I said, the trimmings are VERY similar to the Churchill 100.

This is what I was thinking. After Lee was bought/sold out there were more options for Marathon hats.

The sweat of that 100 (Landman's) looks to be of a newer period than when Lee was making them for Penny's.

Mystic

Practically Family
True, the Marathons were meant to be a "budget" line of hats however, for most of their history, they were made by LEE. You really got the most for your money when you bought a Marathon or LEE. Every single Marathon and LEE that I have owned have been TOP notch hats, even for budget ranges. I have owned Whippets, Strats, Open Roads, etc, but I have never owned a LEE or Marathon that couldn't stand up to the big boys. Actually many times, they far exceeded the quality of Stetson.

I agree. I have several Lees and Marathons.....

Great hats. Get more head time than my other brands. It has also been my experience that the prices and condition of vintage Marathons and Lees on ebay has been better than Stetson, Knox, Dobbs, Adam.

Landman

One Too Many
GORGEOUS hat, Landman!!

I was under the impression that Marathon Hats were made by LEE for years. I'm not sure when that ceased, but from the looks of the trimmings in your hat, its VERY similar to Churchill. Churchill was a Hat Corp of America brand I believe.

Thanks Josh. I don't know if Churchhill made this but the case is very similar to Alan's Churchill case. Also, Churchill was a Byer/Rolnick label. I have one of Harry Rolnick's business cards shown in post #44 below.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?49169-HATS-WITH-HISTORY/page5&highlight=history

Landman

One Too Many
Marathon Beaver 100

Here is a new set of photos showing the tags that were folded under the sweatband. Maybe the experts can tell who made this hat by the tags and markings. You can see in one photo there is a stamp on the back of the sweatband that looks to be "LBC". Maybe that is Lee something? The last photo is a quarter laying on the edge of the brim. I was trying to show the thickness of the felt. The felt is very thin and dense. It is a western and very stiff though. It is as nice a felt as I have every seen on a western. Including the most expensive Stetsons made today.

John Galt

Vendor
The LBC stamp is familiar to me. I will check my Churchill 100, but don't know if that's where I've seen it. May not be conclusive at any rate, but maybe will help if it is the same.

John Galt

Vendor
I forgot to check my Churchill before leaving home, but recently saw a 1950's Stetson St. Regis with the red LBC stamp on the inside of the sweat. It's posted on Etsy by a friend. She didn't photo the stamp.

"Faint hat never won fair lady."

fedoracentric

Banned
I agree that the guts of that Penny's is reminiscent of the Churchill. I had a Churchill 25 once and it looked just like that. Same sweatband, same god printed band, sale union tag, it was all just like that Pennys.

John Galt

Vendor
Justin (Splintercellz) posted a query regarding a Marathon with the same LBC legend imprinted on the back of the sweat - you might see if he ever learned more about it. I'm coming up short, but based on the Stetson St. Regis tie in, it may just have been a high end provider of sweats or maybe a union stamp of some sort.

Last edited:
1960s Stetson 100:

100_1.jpg

inside.jpg

sweat1.jpg

I don't think your hat was manufactured by Stetson, but perhaps both sweatbands used the same outsourced leather.

Landman

One Too Many
I just looked at my 1960's Stetson 100 that is newer than Alan's and it also has the LBC stamp on the sweatband. Must be a sweatband manufacturing company that was used by different hat manufacturers. Maybe "Bxxx Leather Company".

John Galt

Vendor
And not as clear, but still present on my early 50's Nutria Quality Stetson cowboy hat.

dune6uzu.jpg

John Galt

Vendor
And (faintly) in my early 50's Beaver 100 by Out West Hatters (made by Langenberg, I'm sure, given it's own recognizable legend).

5utuzege.jpg

4etahyve.jpg

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Had the leather been stamped after the cutting of the sweatband, I'm sure there would be only one stamp per band. It's quite obvious, that somone wanted to make sure, that at least one whole stamp (or two half ones) would show up on each sweatband. In my mind the stamps point toward a tannery or a leather supply company(?)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy