Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Penney's Marathon Beaver 100 Hat And Suitcase

Landman

One Too Many
Below are some pictures of a hat I recently purchased. I don't have the hat in hand yet but was wondering if anybody knew anything about this model hat. I've searched the forum and didn't come up with anything. In the pictures it looks like J. C. Penney's version of the Stetson 100. It has Beaver One Hundred imprinted on the front of the sweatband and comes with a leather suitcase. I would assume the hat was made by Lee. I can't wait to have it in hand and inspect it closer. I'll try and take some better pictures when I get it.

Pennys_Marathon_100_101.jpg

Pennys_Marathon_100_103.jpg

Pennys_Marathon_100_104.jpg

Pennys_Marathon_100_106.jpg

Pennys_Marathon_100_109.jpg

Pennys_Marathon_100_107.jpg

Interesting find... look forward to seeing more once you receive it. The sweatband and case are reminiscent of the Churchill beaver 100 posted here.

Landman

One Too Many
Alan,

Your Churchill is beautiful. The construction of the boxes does look similar. Especially the interior. Thanks for posting the link.

Landman

One Too Many
Thanks guys. I've actually had it for quite awhile. This is an old thread but I just added that last photo because somebody was asking if J. C. Penney offered custom made hats.

fedoracentric

Banned
Neat to know that Penny's Marathon also went for a high end product. Most of the Penny Marathons are in the economy line of hats. This is the first time I've seen a Penny's hat in the upper end of the quality scale. It seems to me your hat was made in the 1960s.

Landman

One Too Many
I think you are right about the age. I have nothing to confirm it but it I believe it is an early 1960's manufacture. It is a very well made hat with fantastic felt. It is a western though and is stiff like most westerns.

Charlie, I haven't received my Milan yet but received an email from Art last night that he had mailed it. I can't wait to see it. Yours inspired me to order one!

Last edited:

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
GORGEOUS hat, Landman!!

I was under the impression that Marathon Hats were made by LEE for years. I'm not sure when that ceased, but from the looks of the trimmings in your hat, its VERY similar to Churchill. Churchill was a Hat Corp of America brand I believe.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Most of the Penny Marathons are in the economy line of hats. This is the first time I've seen a Penny's hat in the upper end of the quality scale.

True, the Marathons were meant to be a "budget" line of hats however, for most of their history, they were made by LEE. You really got the most for your money when you bought a Marathon or LEE. Every single Marathon and LEE that I have owned have been TOP notch hats, even for budget ranges. I have owned Whippets, Strats, Open Roads, etc, but I have never owned a LEE or Marathon that couldn't stand up to the big boys. Actually many times, they far exceeded the quality of Stetson.

fedoracentric

Banned
True, the Marathons were meant to be a "budget" line of hats however, for most of their history, they were made by LEE. You really got the most for your money when you bought a Marathon or LEE. Every single Marathon and LEE that I have owned have been TOP notch hats, even for budget ranges. I have owned Whippets, Strats, Open Roads, etc, but I have never owned a LEE or Marathon that couldn't stand up to the big boys. Actually many times, they far exceeded the quality of Stetson.

I have a Lee and find it very nice, too. I'd say it is right up there with a Stetson.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
My question is......did Marathon hats get gobbled up by Hat Corp of America at some point? I think I remember Brad mentioning that they did, but I am not sure. If they did, it would help date Landman's hat because like I said, the trimmings are VERY similar to the Churchill 100.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21