Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Perfumes that reach us...

Johnnysan

One Too Many
Borrowing Paddy's idea from his thread on masculine fragrences - what perfumes have you been exposed to that have scrambled the nerve center of your brain?

Many years ago, a female colleague of mine came to work wearing a scent called "Paris." I still owe the confessional at Sacred Heart a few Hail Mary's for all of those impure thoughts!! Oh, my. ;)

Cabinetman

A-List Customer
What else is interesting is encountering an oh so familiar scent on someone else. Not "closely", mind you, just close enough to tell. When I was in college, there was the "bus stop girl". My now wife, then girlfriend, was 2+ hours away, so she was on my mind a lot - missing her, you know. Occasionally on my walk home after class, I passed a particular bus stop at which stood a waiting female. I happened by her just close enough, and the breeze must have been right, as I caught a lovely "wiff". No single fragrance smells the same on two different people, but this was so close to what my lovely was wearing at the time. Of course, this simply brought greater woe that we were 2+ hours away from each other. But, for an instant, it was like she was there. I suppose this was bittersweet. In answer to the what fragrance question, this was Colors by Bennetton.

Another time I was singing with a local college's (my wife's) madrigal group. Mrs. Cab had sung with them previously, but couldn't this particular year. They didn't have a large music department and were short on tenors, so they used "outsiders". Given I was married to a student, that was my in. In any case, the second year, when I could do it but Mrs. Cab couldn't, I encountered another familiar fragrance. Sitting behind the banquet table at rehearsal one night, my nose perked up and I asked, "Who's wearing Gingham?" It happened to be the student I was paired with. She muttered, "Oh great, I'm wearing the wife's perfume..."

Now, when she wears any, Mrs. Cab wears Very Sexy for Her (it's a Vic's Secret product). It's very nice.

All three of these have made me quite loopy, no question. I can't think of anything I have smelled that just set me free and that wasn't being worn by Mrs. C, though.

Psykik

New in Town
In my single days of many yesteryears, a rather sensuous girlfriend of mine used to wear "Poison". I quickly got used to the allure of the fragrance on her. I couldn't help but think of her in the most passionate of ways when I smelled that fragrance. The olfactory memory lasted beyond the relationship and when I detected Poison on an attractive woman, it reminded me of the pleasant past. When a much older motherly-like coworker began to wear it, it made me feel uncomfortable since this scenario threw a monkey wrench into the whole sensation.

Rob

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
Sweat

When I was a young Marine stationed in Sicily....

As most of you probably know, women in Euopean countries don't shave their underarms. As it would turn out I began courting a beautiful young Sicilian woman in the early 80's. Initially I was stunned to find out that she had hairy armpits and legs. It was'nt the manly kind of hair, but a fine, fuzzy sort of growth. Well, after a long day in the Sun at the beach at Taormina I discovered that I was attracted to her rather musky sent. Well years later, I am a happily maried man (different woman, but still of Italian ancestary) and find myself attracted to the same scent. For example, my lovely finishes a zesty workout or a session of gardening. She enters the house with a glisten to her skin and all bets are off.

D

Deleted member 259

Not that I can comment on what perfumes drive ME crazy - but I like and wear the simpler scents. Recently a vanilla fragrance and occasionally lavendar or peach.

My roommate wears Passionate Kiss (Vic's Secret) and I can smell it from down the hall, it's so overwhelming.

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Oh I love Passionate Kisses...the perfume and um ...oh nevermind...I do have that Victoria's Secret scent. It's a great one! As is their Strawberries and Champagne and the Pear one and the Pretty in Pink one and ...Oh I could go on and on with listing all the great VS scents.

matei

One Too Many
Biltmore Bob said:
When I was a young Marine stationed in Sicily....

As most of you probably know, women in Euopean countries don't shave their underarms. .

That doesn't apply to all of the countries here, thank you very much! :p

Blackgrass

One of the Regulars
I had an old girlfriend that wore Obsession by CK and for some reason it just smelled out of this world on her. Every now and then I will catch a whiff of it on someone and it takes me right back to the old gf and tons of memories.

EstherGinger

New in Town
carpecaligo said:
My roommate wears Passionate Kiss (Vic's Secret) and I can smell it from down the hall, it's so overwhelming.

I love Passionated Kisses! I'm a bit tired of it right now, but when I have a break from it, it's always welcoming to my nose. I love Amber Romance (Victoria's Secret) the best. I'd be wearing it right now, but I have so very little and it's a treasure to me right now until I can get more. I also love Love Spell (Victoria's Secret) and Euphoria (Calvin Klein). My mom may be getting me Euphoria for Christmas, and do I love that perfume!!

The Wingnut

One Too Many
My girlfriend 6 years ago wore a peach scented body wash that drove me NUTS. Turns out it's a popular fragrance. Not sure what the brand or name was, but I know it when I smell it...brings back some memories I'd rather forget, unfortunately.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo