Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Perfumes....

AuroraFisherman

New in Town
Dear Ladies, I hope you can help me :)

I was bold enough to cut my hair 6 months ago and I love it! I feel like a new person!
So now I dont really know what scents to wear as it feels like I need to be brave and try something else perfumewise too...
I have always loved J'adore but now I can't wear it any more as I dont feel like myself in it.

The perfumes I still can wear and feel confident in is Pure Poison, sometimes I wear Flora by Gucci though I think it is
too (If only english were my first language, oh well...:rolleyes:)... well lets say I wear it when I'm not in the mood for PP and the rest of the times I wear Les Garconnes Rose a Saigon like a pyjamas :D I love roses!

I was thinking of trying some hevier more oriental tones, what do you think?

What do you wear?
Have you felt the same when you have made a big change in your life that you need to make smaller personal changes beccause of the big change?

FraeuleinBerlin

One of the Regulars
Hej!

I always wear Dior's Midnight Poison - I think of it as my "signature scent". It's in the same range as pure poison, and it's quite strong and sexy (I never use that much of it).

I don't know if it counts as a personal change, but I always used to wear Anna Sui's Dolly Girl On the Beach, because I LOVED the smell... but I'm not very sweet and girly, so I was never quite sure it suited me, even though I loved it! My Grandad bought me a bottle of Dior Midnight Poison, I think for my 18th birthday?? I've worn it ever since.

Glad you like the new hair and are feeling more confident!

xxx

AuroraFisherman

New in Town
What a lovable Grandad you must have!
I was nerver encouraged by anny one in my family to wear some kind of scent exept of handsoap ;)

I have never leend my nose to other of the poison family, do you know what the difference is between them?

About personal changes, (I can only compare to myself as young and young women around me) I think perfumes, or most likely edt's that are ligth and fruity is the most popular ones when beeing young and mabey can not really define who you are and the older you get you grow in to a sertain range of favourites? Do you wear other perfumes than The midnigth Poison?

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
There's a pretty big thread about fragrance in The Connoisseur, you might get some ideas there. http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?12870-Cologne-and-perfume

A boyfriend bought me a bottle of Chanel's Coco Mademoiselle when I was 15, and I've worn it ever since. Funnily enough, fragrance isn't something I ever really think about changing, and I change things about my appearance all of the time (I used to change my hair colour and cut a lot, but I've since learned it's just easier, and cheaper, to change the style.)

I wish Mitsouko was still available, it's a really great blend of floral and spice. I usually hate floral fragrances, but this one is beautiful. I believe Jean Harlow wore it.

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
I always wear Dior's Midnight Poison - I think of it as my "signature scent". It's in the same range as pure poison, and it's quite strong and sexy (I never use that much of it).

That's one of my favourites - roll on Winter so I can start wearing all my heavier fragrances. Anything with patchouli is usually a winner for me - Midnight Poison, Coco Mademoiselle, Pomegranate Noir, Acqua Di Parma Magnolia Nobile, Flowerbomb....

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Anything with patchouli is usually a winner for me - Flowerbomb....

Ah, you must like slightly sweet fragrances. :) I found Flowerbomb a bit too sweet, but it's a popular seller. The bottle probably helps!

If anyone likes warm, vanilla-type fragrance, the Juicy Couture like is positively yummy!

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Ah, you must like slightly sweet fragrances. :) I found Flowerbomb a bit too sweet, but it's a popular seller. The bottle probably helps!

If anyone likes warm, vanilla-type fragrance, the Juicy Couture like is positively yummy!

Flowerbomb is probably the sweetest fragrance I have ever worn - I can see how some may find it a bit cloying - in fairness I have to be in the mood to wear it and it's not one that I would wear quite often but I do like it. I also like Angel (the EDT is much lighter) but haven't bought it yet - may have to give it a few spins around the block before parting with my cash!

Miss sofia

One Too Many
I love Angel too! I usually shy away from scents that are sweet, but i have found that this wears really well on me.

My new fave is Serge Lutens Chergui, which is like being in Morocco, (exotic grasses, cinammon. leather), he blends his scents so they are like going on a journey in every sense of the meaning. I did think it was all a bit precious until i tried a few samples and they are really good.

lareine

A-List Customer
Dear Ladies, I hope you can help me :)
I was thinking of trying some hevier more oriental tones, what do you think?
If you want something heavier, more oriental, with rose notes, and vintage, try Estee Lauder Youth Dew bath oil:
http://www.esteelauder.com/product/620/2108/Youth-Dew/index.tmpl

Top Notes
Spicy notes, Bergamot, Peach, Aldehyde, Orange

Middle Notes
Clove, Ylang-Ylang, Cinnamon, Rose, Orchid

Base Notes
Amber, Tolu, Benzoin, Vanilla, Patchouli

The bath oil isn't as heavy as the perfume so it is a much more accessible way to wear this beauty - just dab it on your wrists. And Youth Dew has been around since 1953 so you know it's a classic for a reason :)

Have fun finding something that fits you!

zombi

A-List Customer
I wish Mitsouko was still available, it's a really great blend of floral and spice. I usually hate floral fragrances, but this one is beautiful. I believe Jean Harlow wore it.
Mitsouko is still available. I have found it at the Guerlain counter many times. It is a beautiful fragrance, even though I believe like many of the Guerlain perfumes, it has sadly changed over time due to regulations about oakmoss use and such.

AuroraFisherman

New in Town
Soo manny answers :) Thank you, I were rigth about all of you would have alot of knowledge!

I love Angel too! I usually shy away from scents that are sweet, but i have found that this wears really well on me.

My new fave is Serge Lutens Chergui, which is like being in Morocco, (exotic grasses, cinammon. leather), he blends his scents so they are like going on a journey in every sense of the meaning. I did think it was all a bit precious until i tried a few samples and they are really good.
Is it this one?
o.2762.jpg

Who makes the Angel? What is it like?

AuroraFisherman

New in Town
A boyfriend bought me a bottle of Chanel's Coco Mademoiselle when I was 15, and I've worn it ever since. Funnily enough, fragrance isn't something I ever really think about changing, and I change things about my appearance all of the time (I used to change my hair colour and cut a lot, but I've since learned it's just easier, and cheaper, to change the style.)

I have changed my looks allot too, still wearing long hair but always wanted to make the comitment to cut it straight of... But now i had the courage, I belive it has to bee beccause of a personal change in the bottom, though the change of look is something that other can see...
Last winter I finaly had my diagnos of having the bipolar dicease, and now with propper medication and therapy I am the person I knew i where but never have been... I know it may sound akward, still this is how I beleve it to bee :)

I love Historical scents, I'd love to smell like Jean Harlow, she is one of my favourites!

AuroraFisherman

New in Town
I'm sorry for the manny posts, I dont know how to reply to you all at the same time...

Have anny of you tried this one?
nd.138.jpg

I'n an old swedish magazine (I always rip pages that I want to save for the future) it is described like an oriental nigth.
Top notes are mandarin orange, yuzu, white peach and cardamom; middle notes are magnolia, cinnamon, jasmine and heliotrope; base notes are amber, musk, benzoin and vanilla.

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
[/IMG]

Who makes the Angel? What is it like?

Angel is made by Thierry Mugler and was created in 1992- it's fragrance notes are Chocolate, Vanilla, Caramel, Berries, Honey, Bergamot (and lots of patchouli) - it's not for everyone but anytime I smell it on someone else I just love it. Think I may have to invest in a bottle of the EDT (thanks C-Dot!).

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Mitsouko is still available. I have found it at the Guerlain counter many times. It is a beautiful fragrance, even though I believe like many of the Guerlain perfumes, it has sadly changed over time due to regulations about oakmoss use and such.

Then someone here has been pulling my leg! I went to Hudson's Bay Company a year or so ago and asked at Guerlain counter if they had it, and she said "no honey, it hasn't been around for years." :confused: I think I sampled it at Holt Renfrew. Maybe I'll pop in there.

I'm sure you're right about it changing. It makes me curious to know what the original 1911 scent was like...

Last edited:

zombi

A-List Customer
^ The closest Guerlain counter to me is in a department store, Dillard's. I don't know if they have those in Canada? But anyway, they do still have Mitsouko (along with L'Heure Bleue, and others), so I know that Guerlain is still making this perfume and selling it!

In any case, I know that I can find it and if you know you like it, I'm sure something could be arranged. ;)

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
I'm sure you're right about it changing. It makes me curious to know what the original 1911 scent was like...

Try the Perfumed Court - they have many rare and discontinued fragrance samples - I got to try the original Givenchy L'Interdit which has apparently changed so much they don't bear much relation to each other anymore.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
^ The closest Guerlain counter to me is in a department store, Dillard's. I don't know if they have those in Canada? But anyway, they do still have Mitsouko (along with L'Heure Bleue, and others), so I know that Guerlain is still making this perfume and selling it!

In any case, I know that I can find it and if you know you like it, I'm sure something could be arranged. ;)

Dillard's is a great department store! Americans have all the best ones - Lord and Taylor's, Gimbels, etc. We only have the HBC, Holt Renfrew, and Sears (ugh.)

If I can't find it at Holt's, you might be hearing from me ;) Thanks!

Try the Perfumed Court - they have many rare and discontinued fragrance samples - I got to try the original Givenchy L'Interdit which has apparently changed so much they don't bear much relation to each other anymore.

I'll give that a shot! AuroraFisherman, maybe you could too :) Here's the link.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24