Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Perm Pics

dahliaoleander

One of the Regulars
ClaraB said:
You really do have to set your hair to get Rita like results, even after a perm. I got a large rod perm in November, just for the heck of it really, just to try it out. I was able to come up with the look in the picture after lots of effort but without setting my hair. The results always looked weird and took way too long to style. There is more about it in the perms thread.
IMG_2272-2.jpg

The perm has changed in the months that I've had it and I can't even coax it into making these soft curls, so I set my hair regularly again. One thing I can tell you is that my hair takes curl so well now. I can use foam rollers like hot rollers, 30 min on dry hair and I have well defined curls, semi-long lasting curls.
One thing I must stress with setting permed hair is set it wet or quite damp. I find that doing this keeps the perms "kinks" from forming a ruining a good set. A digital perm would work differently than this as I think it requires heat to make curl.
And just for a laugh, this is my hair after a hair cut. My stylist dried it with a blow dryer and these are the hilarious results. Mind that this picture was taken 3 months after the perm was done and I never, never blow dry my hair. My hair always looks worse when I leave a salon then when it does when I go in, even before the perm.

The hair you have in your avatar is gorgeous...

How did you get that?

ClaraB

One of the Regulars
dahliaoleander said:

The hair you have in your avatar is gorgeous...

How did you get that?
lol Why thank you! I think it was either the results of a wet set with large foam rollers and lots of brushing or just hot rollers. Either way, I think it was a lazy hair day.

ScotchWhisky

Familiar Face
Just wanted to pipe up here: I've been having my hair permed every 4-5 months for the last year and a half or so (maybe a little less). It really is not a vintage look on its own (well, it's a vintage 80s jazzercize look, I guess)- you will still need to set your hair.

However! The good news is that my sets last forever (I do wet sets) and it takes my hair ages to get greasy. Something about the chemicals has completely changed the usual oilyness of my hair. Waves and curls both stay in so beautifully now, and once they start to look droopy, I just brush a little and get lovely big waves. I say this as someone whose eyelashes won't even take a curl: pre-perm, even wet sets were gone before the day was out.

The downside is that if I don't do my hair, it looks a lot like ClaraB's mane in the picture where her hair is blown out (of course, even with a mane she's still gorgeous!). So there really can't be lazy hair days with a perm because I find the 80s poodle look completely unacceptable.

ClaraB

One of the Regulars
ScotchWhisky said:
The downside is that if I don't do my hair, it looks a lot like ClaraB's mane in the picture where her hair is blown out (of course, even with a mane she's still gorgeous!). So there really can't be lazy hair days with a perm because I find the 80s poodle look completely unacceptable.
lol I find the poodle look unacceptable too! Not only do I feel it looks bad on me, it feels bad too, crispy. Perm+blow dryer = bad.

and thank for that compliment Scotch.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
I suggest you go back to the perm thread and read posts that I have made, explaining what type of curl you can expect from a perm, ect.

It all depends on the type of hair you have, the length you have, and the rod size used to roll it... There are different strengths of perm solutions but this is due to your hair type and if it is color treated, ect.

The longer the hair, the more it will fall in spirals when permed. Shorter layers show more perky curls.

Yes, it is possible to get just a wave, use huge perm rods. Again, depends on your hair type and weather or not you have any of your own underlying wave.

I'll try to dig around for some photos.... don't hold your breath tho, lol... it could take a while.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Miss Hannah, after following your hair in threads over time I highly discourage you from getting a perm. I do not think your hair could take it. ;)
Plus, I think it would totally take the vibrancy out of your awesome color.

MissHannah said:
I am strongly considering a perm at the moment as I can only get a good curl by sleeping in rollers every night, which is really giving my scalp a hard time. If I do nothing my hair is straight with kinks and utterly style-less so some waves would be a godsend.

shamrocq

New in Town
Here's a pix of my hair permed. It was very straight and normally my sets don't really last until the 2nd day. I notice the hair dresser used orange and pink colour perm rods. I'm not sure if the colour is universal for sizes. He put one on my bangs and several at the sides and back. He set the back like a 'pageboy' I think.

Picture006.jpg

Picture007.jpg

velvetongue

Familiar Face
I have naturally very wavy hair and I'm trying to grow out the results of a Japanese straightening for the past year or so. I stopped getting it straightened and went back to the hairdresser's for a trim. I told him that I was going to grow it out, so they gave me a digital perm in the form of a body wave, since about 4 inches of roots were wavy and the ends were dead straight. I still set my hair every night with setting lotions and rollers and sleep on it, but I notice that my hair has more volume now and the curls last longer. When I am too lazy to set my hair I can gather it into a low ponytail or a chignon. Ironically this is similar to how my hair was 5+ years ago before I went ahead and straightened it, but no matter.

The important thing with perms/naturally wavy hair is to not blow-dry it since it will turn into a ball of frizz. Also handle hair as little as possible, since too much fussing will make the curls separate and will lead to a poofy look.

Photographs can be found here: http://www.meladori.com/shesinfashion/

Christi.adell

One of the Regulars
I always want to get a perm but then someone posts a picture of it unset and I change my mind. (of course the picture was still gorgeous). It just brings back so many bad 80s hair memories!

Miss Peach

One of the Regulars
I got a body wave about a year and a half ago and I...actually loved it. It grew out to long mermaid waves and I'm thinking about doing it again. Granted I was scared to death that I had signed myself up for Richard Simmons, but it turned out okay. I'll see if I can dig up some pictures.

Take heart!

YesterdayGirl

One of the Regulars
I have naturally very very poker straight hair. I got a perm about 2 months ago, and at first it didn't work at all apart from a few little bits around the front. I went back the second time and she used smaller perm rods and it finally worked! The effect is just a subtle wave, that although is not a vintage style on its own, it does seem to hold a set for much longer and make my curls much bouncier. I would recomend for anyone with very straight hair, to just give it a bit of shape and life.;)

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
I have bad perm memories

I had a few perms when I was a kid. I remember it taking at lest 2 weeks to settle down and you still had to set it to get it to look good.

I also remember the awful small and how it burned your scalp and fried your hair. If you are having scalp problems now a perm will probably only irritate it worse. Ok this is just from my bad memories from childhood but they are pretty distinct memories.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy