Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Perm rods?

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Joli7211 said:
Where do you by perm rods? I haven't seen them around, mind you I could be looking in the wrong places....:eusa_doh:

I get mine at Sally's Beauty. I am sure any beauty supply store in your area should have them.

MarieAnne

Practically Family
Joli7211 - I see you are located in Canada; I got mine at Shopper's Drugmart. I got the orange ones but they carried 2 other sizes I believe. They are near the hair section but not mixed in with the usual stuff; I think they are on the end of an aisle.

I really like the orange perm rods. The curls are really nice and smooth and long lasting. But now I want to try other sizes. I am experimenting with setting patterns and I've found a few I really like. I want to take pictures but my husband is on a trip and has the camera so it will have to wait.

Joli7211

Familiar Face
MarieAnne said:
Joli7211 - I see you are located in Canada; I got mine at Shopper's Drugmart. I got the orange ones but they carried 2 other sizes I believe. They are near the hair section but not mixed in with the usual stuff; I think they are on the end of an aisle.

Thanks! I'll have to look for them, maybe even at the Jean-Coutu Pharmacy... Do they still carry home-perm kits? Not that I want one, I just figure if they still exist I may have a chance at finding them around...

SarahLouise

Practically Family
Joli7211 - I found mine in a drug store (Boots) but as mentioned above they are the thinner ones as opposed to the ones Lolita uses. They only cost £2 for a pack of 3 different sizes and I absolutely love the results.

ShrinkingViolet

A-List Customer
Thanks for the advice! I did suspect the tiny yellow ones would create an afro, so thanks for confirming that :)
The largest I have found are 17 mm (= 0.66 inches), so I suppose they would work. They are black, by the way. I'm not sure if there's a standard colour code for perm rods ..?

RetroQueen

Familiar Face
I went to Sally's today and got the peach, orange, and teal perm rods. I am going to try with the peach and/or orange ones tonight and see how it goes. I have not slept in rollers in so long (when I was little I would ask my mom to roll my hair in sponge rollers once in a while and I would sleep in them without too much of a problem)...I am not sure how it will be for me as far as sleeping on the perm rods. I am excited to try this though!

Thank you ladies for all of your helpful advice here and the rest of this Beauty forum, I have been learning so much!

RetroQueen

Familiar Face
I have tried the perm rods two nights, and was able to sleep in them without too much trouble. I also tried the sponge rollers and they worked out ok too. With both my hair was not completely dry in the morning (more dry with the perm rods though). With the perm rods one morning I sat under the dryer for 1/2 hour and they were completely dry then. With the sponge rollers I kept them in for about 4 hours into the day and they were then dry. I had nice curls with both types of rollers.

I am considering on sticking with the perm rods though because for me it did dry faster and I have the option of using the dryer in the morning if they are not completely dry (does this affect how long the curl lasts, by the way, if i do not let my hair completely dry on its own?). Plus, after several days the sponge rollers still show indentations in the sponge from where I rolled my hair. I am not sure why they did not go back to the original shape. Is this normal for sponge rollers to not go back into shape? Does this affect the curl if I used them again and they were not back into shape? It seems like it would...but I am not sure.

~*Red*~

Practically Family
RetroQueen said:
Plus, after several days the sponge rollers still show indentations in the sponge from where I rolled my hair. I am not sure why they did not go back to the original shape. Is this normal for sponge rollers to not go back into shape? Does this affect the curl if I used them again and they were not back into shape? It seems like it would...but I am not sure.

I would *think* that you could wet the sponges and they should go back to their normal shape and let them dry. I haven't tried it though. ;)

RetroQueen

Familiar Face
~*Red*~ said:
I would *think* that you could wet the sponges and they should go back to their normal shape and let them dry. I haven't tried it though. ;)

That makes sense...like a regular sponge! LOL! :eek:

I tried that and it seems to be working. Thank you.

kerry

One of the Regulars
I bought some large perm rods from a shop on ebay. I think they are 16.5mm.
I really liked the results and managed to get 3 days out of 1 set. :D
No problems sleeping in them either.
Kerry x

Real Swell Gal

One of the Regulars
~*Red*~ said:
Yes they do. That's what i do with mine if they get sqeezed too tight.
Also with perm rods I really have to wrap the ends in paper. If not the ends frizz really bad.
Just thought I'd throw that out there.

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
I am so happy everyone is getting perm rods! Just remember to only roll up to the nape of the neck and up the sides a bit. Don't roll all over the back of the head. Cheers everyone!

Smuterella

One Too Many
I couldn't get mine to stay any higher than you say anyway Lo, they seem to roll back down on themselves. I have tried the peach ones this evening and am going to sleep in them, I didn't use much setting lotion as I'm lazy. I'll let you know how it goes!

kerry

One of the Regulars
LolitaHaze said:
I am so happy everyone is getting perm rods! Just remember to only roll up to the nape of the neck and up the sides a bit. Don't roll all over the back of the head. Cheers everyone!
Lolita, Im being a bit cheeky I know but any chance of a picture next time you set your hair with perm rods. It would be great to see how you place them .
Kerry xxx

Smuterella

One Too Many
Well I had great success with the perm rods last night, I hardly used any setting lotion though so the curls quickly dropped in todays rainy atmosphere, my fault for being lazy.

I'll post the "before" pic when I get home.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner