Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Perms.

thebadmamajama

Practically Family
Perms.

I...think....I....want one.

No, not the tight, wet, 80s kind...I want one of the perms that gives you those lovely mermaid waves. Is there a name for this that will make it happen? How long should my hair be before I make a go at it? And lastly, is it a mistake?!

Miss Brill

One Too Many
I love a good perm. IIRC, the last one I gave myself I used a t-shirt as rollers & had these PERFECT waves from it. The only bad thing was I didn't have enough solution to really soak the undesides & some went half permed. I like Toni perms & I leave it in as long as possible because my hair is hard to curl.

If you want to try the t-shirt method, you just cut out squares & long strips, then you fold your hair up in the squares, then you take the strip & lay it across the square & roll it up with a pencil, then you tie the strip up.

I'm actually debating if I should try it again, I think I will this weekend.

thebadmamajama

Practically Family
That sounds incredible..but I don't think I'm brave enough to do it myself. How talented you are!!

What should I do if I am going to get a professional one?

Miss Brill

One Too Many
Talented? Me? ;) I've never had a professional one before. Most of the ones I see on women who have look like what you said you didn't want: ramen noodles. I guess you could tell them you want waves, not curls, and then kick them if they come at you with little bitty rollers. I think the rollers are the key, but I tried using larger rollers once, you know, the plastic ones with the vents, and it didn't take very well.

Perms always made my hair thicker & more shiny, even if the curl didn't hold, so I don't think they are anything to fear. My hair isn't color treated, so it isn't very fragile. My grandmother & aunt always gave themselves home perms, so it seems normal to me. If you wanted to try one out for yourself, you could perm just the ends to see how it will hold, and stay away from the scalp.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
I really want one too. Just a light body perm. I curl my hair virtually every day anyway, but I think it'll look better and stay in longer with a light perm. Trouble is, I also dye my hair, so I don't know if I can/should!

lyburnum

Practically Family
Fleur, generally they'll do a compatibility test if you get it done at a hairdressers. They'll put a strip of your hair in a solution and if it fizzes then they can't use their products on your hair, so no perm. That's the only way you'll know if (chemically) it can be done. And then of course there's the condition of your hair - if it's in poor condition extra chemical treatment would be ill advised.

Antje

One Too Many
Ohh guys,

I had a worse perm, terrible,
my college made it look like diana ross on a really bad hairday I mean a really really bad hairday.

I don't want to scare anyone of but be carefull.

I wanted a big wave so it made my hair more easy with pincurls, so I wanted a perm with what we call here in holland pappilotten, I don't know the english word for it, but she didn't wet my hair with the perm lotion enough so my roots where too curly and my lengts were frizzy ends.
And she was supposed to perm it very light but she was tearing my hair it made me feel like i was getting a facelift.

I have to say my hair is wavy naturally so maybe i din't have to have a perm but like this I never want it again.

I hope you get a nice perm i really do

succes

Antje

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Mamajama, Here's another thread on perms that might help you decide, (there might be more..)
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=22981&highlight=perm

You have some natural wave, right? I wouldn't perm your hair on anything smaller than the orange perm rods, they're about an inch. Probably even the larger black ones. And then still, there is no guarantee how your hair will take. Everyone's takes differently.

I'm guessing that yours would curl beautiufly when permed and scrunched, but lay in nice waves when brushed out. However, the ends may not lay like you want, like they may not fold under nicely... might hafta bump them under, make sense?

Nikki

thebadmamajama

Practically Family
Pardon me, I forgot to say "thank you!" too! :D I still have the bob that was my drama a few months ago (and love it) but I'm always changing it up and since I can't change the color, I gotta change the look. Plus, as you understand, Ohairas, I just watched Titanic and got all romantic-long-hair again. ;)

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
thebadmamajama said:
. Plus, as you understand, Ohairas, I just watched Titanic and got all romantic-long-hair again. ;)

LOL! I know how it is! Just think tho, Kate's hair had some extensions put in and was set in pin curls for Titanic. If we only had her stylist to do our locks everyday............sigh............

I've actually been toying with getting a perm myself. Argh, so fickle!!:eusa_doh:
Nikki

Eliza

One of the Regulars
Retired Hairdresser here...... most all hair can be permed - success depends on choosing the correct solution and rods for the hair type.

By mermaid curls, I am assuming you mean like loose ringlets? A spiral rod perm can give this effect. They can also acheive this look using traditional perm rods rolled vertically instead of horizontally - long hair may reqiure piggy backing. I am sure your stylist will know these terms.

I do not suggest home perms or colors, for that matter - I have seen too many horrors from it. :eek:

I think perms today are much different from the 80's heyday of perms - I have seen some very natural and beautiful perms done.

Just my opinion and personal experince - take it for what it is worth. :)

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I have a question, if anyone knows.

I used to get perms, usually all I have to do is breathe and my hair curls in tight curls, even when the beautician is giving me what is called a "body wave."

Wouldn't mind getting one again but, due to a medication I had been taking for several years, my hair thinned out, especially in front and on one side. You can't see my scalp, but I am very aware of the thinning and take great pains to comb my hair just right so no scalp is ever seen. I stopped taking the medication last winter and am waiting for my hair to grow back, if it does grow back. I think it will.

Question is this: would a perm damage my thin hair and make more fall out? Or would it make the hair look thicker and not hurt the hair that is left?

I've talked to several haircutters and they don't seem to know.

karol

Eliza

One of the Regulars
In this case I would be careful not to roll the rods too tightly, I would also not roll it all the way to the scalp - I would take care to use plastic pins under the rubber band on the rod as to alleviate tension, therefore reducing the potential for breakage.

A perm, done carefully and correctly, may actually disguise your thinning.

Medications can affect the porosity of the hair - often times, meds will make the hair more resistant to a perm.:(

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Karol, a perm won't damage your hair unless it's over-processed from color or too many perms, ect...
However, if you hair is very fine/thin in these areas extra care should be taken when wrapping as the stress of the rollers and/or bands could break the hair. Rods without bands, or toothpicks to hold the bands off help, and not rolling with tension.

Also, Mamajama... I want to state that above I mentioned black perm rods being larger than orange.. well, my rods are about 15 years old. I think the newer ones are teal. Anyway, the big ones are about 1 and a quarter inch or so. HTH.

With spirals, hair must be at least 6 inches to lay right, and really I'd say longer than that. Esp. with larger rods, you wouldn't be able to roll it properly to get the tendril look.
Nikki

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Eliza said:
By mermaid curls, I am assuming you mean like loose ringlets?

This is why it's always important to be sure you and your stylist are on the same page. To me, mermaid waves would be more of an S wave look, a rather large deep crimp effect. Sort of like Billie Burke on WOZ,
http://www.wendyswizardofoz.com/wiz_b002c.jpg

A regular wrapped perm would give that effect more. If you brush out a spriral you'd have a big fluffy mess, the curls wouldn't soften into waves.

I just did a spiral last night and I'm still pooped! I'm glad perms are making a bit of a come back.
Nikki

Eliza

One of the Regulars
I never brush out perms, I think any perm brushed out can look like a mess - I usually suggest wide tooth combs or hair picks.

But yes, it is very important for people to make sure their stylist knows what they mean - pictures are always a good idea.:)

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Perms can be brushed out on the right type of hair and the right perm~
Definitely wouldn't brush a fresh perm. Always give your perm a few weeks before brushing or putting up in barretts, bands, ect.
Nikki

Girl Friday

Practically Family
I am not a fan of perms (I am a former cosmetologist as well). If you are just looking for more texture to you hair, or for it to hold curl better, color is better, I know that sounds crazy, but it is true.

If you do get one, seriously...treat as if it were natural curl, do not use a brush unless you have set your hair...and even then I would just us fingers to shape it...unless you were actually going for the Buckwheat look ;) I speak from experience, I have natural curl and if I use a brush I look like Rosanne Rosannadanna:

Gilda.jpg

Here is a great website that will help (I'm sure I've said this before):

http://www.naturallycurly.com/

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
All you can do girls is trial and error with your own hair. I have a bit of natural wave and have had perms.
I had good luck with brushing thru a bit, adding some shine serum or whatnot and getting a very nice look. As I said earlier, might have to curl the ends under.

Your hair must be the right type for this, and the right cut. A bunch of layers would not work. My hair was collar bone length with a bit of face framing.

I can't find a good pic. But it reminds me most of Vivien Leigh's hair in the back of the scene where slaps Ashley. About 47 seconds into this video you can see it, lol! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7xDdyeBkRw
Nikki

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner