Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Personal Coat Hanger/Key Tray Standing Thing...

Indy Magnoli

Vendor
Forgive my bad memory (and inability to get the FL search engine to produce narrow results), I remember seeing a post here showing a short (hip-high) coat/shirt/pant hanger with a tray in front of it for keys, watch, etc. I can't seem to figure out what this is called and, therefore, can't find any pictures or info about them. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Magnoli

dschonn

Familiar Face
A butler is not the same as a gentleman's personal gentleman. A butler helps run an entire household; a gentleman's gentleman (or valet) is one man's personal attendant. Bertram Wooster had a gentleman's gentleman--the famous Jeeves--but knew a butler when he saw one. Jeeves' uncle (I forget his name...Seppings? Silversmith?) was indeed a butler, and a rather intimidating one, too. He had gooseberry eyes, if I recall correctly.

I feel suddenly that I haven't explained that at all well, but I do know that there is a difference between a butler and a valet. And incidentally (actually more to the point of this thread), I've always heard the objects in question called valet stands.

RedPop4

One Too Many
dschonn, you explained it VERY well. And of course, I can't forget Hugh Laurie and Stephen Fry as Bertie Wooster and Jeeves.

Univibe, you a baaaaaaaaaaad maaaaaaaaaaaaaan!

Max Flash

One of the Regulars
dschonn said:
A butler is not the same as a gentleman's personal gentleman. A butler helps run an entire household; a gentleman's gentleman (or valet) is one man's personal attendant. Bertram Wooster had a gentleman's gentleman--the famous Jeeves--but knew a butler when he saw one. Jeeves' uncle (I forget his name...Seppings? Silversmith?) was indeed a butler, and a rather intimidating one, too. He had gooseberry eyes, if I recall correctly.

I feel suddenly that I haven't explained that at all well, but I do know that there is a difference between a butler and a valet. And incidentally (actually more to the point of this thread), I've always heard the objects in question called valet stands.

I never knew that there was a difference. I just thought it was a Woosterism! Didn't Jeeves run Bertie's household though (e.g. preparing meals, drinks, cleaning, etc.)?

Josephine

One Too Many
Max Flash said:
I never knew that there was a difference. I just thought it was a Woosterism! Didn't Jeeves run Bertie's household though (e.g. preparing meals, drinks, cleaning, etc.)?

Bertie was a bachelor living in basically an apartment, however. There wasn't room nor enough for a butler and a valet to do. Bertie Wooster has lent Jeeves out as a butler on several occasions, and notes that "if the call comes, he can buttle with the best of them". (according to Wiki). :)

Bugsy

One Too Many
thunderw21 said:
I've also heard them called 'silent butlers', as they can't tell you what not to wear. ;)

I don't know about today, but when I was growing up, every household had a silent butler, but it was like a small pan with a flip-top lid into which one put all the ashes and butts that were in ash trays around the house. Times DO change.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points