Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Personal Elements of Style

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Is there anything you do that bucks the norm, that is unique to you for whatever reason?

I speaking, beyond the fedoras, the Victory rolls, or belted back suits, beyond all the vintage clothes, and rather those idiosyncratic elements of style similar to Fred Astaire using a neck tie as a belt.

If you are possessed of such an activity of sartorial flair, then tell us why, why on earth would you do such a thing?

Personally, I wear this pair of nearly pumpkin colored ankle height brogues with every suit I own, from black to brown, green, gray, whatever. They are quite striking.

Don't match? Don't care. I make it work because I love these shoes and they remind me of Venice, which is where I bought them.

I have also taken to wearing a scarf with everything, and often indoors. I picked up the scarf wearing from my friends in Europe and I have collected so many of the things, I feel I should wear them. Sometimes, I wear them tied like ascots, and sometimes draped around the neck.

I find New England interiors to be particularly drafty, and if I remove my coat, but keep the scarf, I remain comfortable.

Men and women of the Lounge, what distinguishes you?

The Shirt

Practically Family
I like to wear a brooch at my beltline. Perhaps not everytime I dress vintage - but quite often. I also wear at least one piece of jewelry that my father gave me or I wear his watch on my casual days. Ususally worn way up near my elbow as it is quite loose. I like to keep him close to my heart now that he is gone, my touchstone I guess.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
I roll my jacket lapels by hand. There's an art to it, every bit as idiosyncratic as a fedora's pinch and bash. Dry cleaners don't have the right touch, so I do it myself with a steamer and some handwork.

I also roll the folds of my pocket handkerchief points, so that they aren't creased and flat against the jacket's chest. It's a subtle touch utilized by the best dressed men of the Golden Era. (See movie star photos of the time.) I'm speaking of cotton or linen handkerchiefs.

ortega76

Practically Family
According to some on this board and some IRL, my wearing brown shoes with navy suits is idiosyncratic.

I don't fold my pocket squares, I stuff and puff.

I almost never match my socks to my slacks. I tend to wear colors that stand out but pick up a color in something else I'm wearing. Like today, burgundy socks that pick up the burgundy in my tie and pocket square

Foofoogal

Banned
I have also taken to wearing a scarf with everything, and often indoors. I picked up the scarf wearing from my friends in Europe

me too. I think I said here that almost everyone was wearing a scarf in France and in Scotland.
Amazing how much warmer it makes one also.
I am a cardigan wearer. I am recently taking to using sweater guards and/or clips to hold them together. I love matching my cardigans to whatever I am wearing and recently picked up a pretty minty green one and now see it is a color for this Spring. I am ready. Floppy hats are supposed to be also so maybe I will have to wear one of them. lol
I also am a big brooch wearer.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I'll wear black suede shoes with dark brown and dark brown suede shoes with black. Only suede, mind you; never calf.

I often wear a camel hair topcoat with Semi-Formal. Got that from the old man.

I sometimes wear button down collar shirts with French cuffs.

For virtually all my shoes I have a belt strap in the corresponding leather. Though I don't always wear them together.

I wear linen and seersucker suits, sans tie and socks, with espadrilles.

There's gotta be more. Let me think on it.

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
Marc Chevalier said:
I

I also roll the folds of my pocket handkerchief points, so that they aren't creased and flat against the jacket's chest. It's a subtle touch utilized by the best dressed men of the Golden Era. (See movie star photos of the time.) I'm speaking of cotton or linen handkerchiefs.

Can we see a pic of yours?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Marc Chevalier said:
I also roll the folds of my pocket handkerchief points, so that they aren't creased and flat against the jacket's chest. I'm speaking of cotton or linen handkerchiefs.

Do you mean like this?

Shoes500.jpg

Spiffy

A-List Customer
I own a complete suiting outfit that I refer to as my "Southern Gentleman Lawyer" outfit. Seersucker dress and coat, with a straw hat, oxford pumps and sometimes a bow tie in my hair. It draws many strange looks when worn, especially during the middle of winter, but it makes me happy, darnit!

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
When dressing vintage, I always wear my belt buckle to the left side. It is an affectation emulating jazz hipster and black and latino style of the era.

Not sure where it came from. Perhaps bass players who did not want to scratch their bass. I used to own a pair of slacks with a custom belt sewn in in the same fabric. It did not go all the way around. It was attached at the side and only went around the front and, you guessed it, buckled at the side.

There were certain young black hipsters who would also wear their caps to the side, much as their grand chlidren will wear a baseball cap to the side today. maybe just to be different.

I like to wear crazy extremely pointy vintage shoes. I own several spectators and white suede shoes in this style. Again, hipster style. And often will wear a silk handkerchief in a bright color hanging way down out of the pocket. Again, hipster style.

anon`

One Too Many
Marc Chevalier said:
No, my points are to the side, like right isosceles triangles. I favor the 4-point style. (Think Sydney Opera House, as seen from the side).
Ever since 'discovering' this fold here about a year ago, I've rarely worn anything but.

I also--at least in a casual context--tend to wear my watches inverted (with the body on the underside of my wrist). Learnt that one from my dad.
And finally, I like to take a page from Mr Astaire himself, turning back the ends of barrel cuffs as far as the button.

That's all that would even come close to fitting this thread.

Let's see, there's the fact that my entire wardrobe is patterned after two basic styles: "Mini-Me MacArthur" and "Sawed-Off MIB", although I'm starting to consider adding something "Dexter's Laboratory" to the mix--all those pockets in a lab-coat could be useful, except for how white collects dirt...

Spiffy, sounds cute! Any chance of showing us a pic someday?

Pale Lady

New in Town
anon` said:
I also--at least in a casual context--tend to wear my watches inverted (with the body on the underside of my wrist). Learnt that one from my dad.

Oh, I do that--didn't know wearing a watch that way is considered out of the norm, so to speak. Cool! lol

katiemakeup

Practically Family
I went through a stage where I wore chamois colored suede bucks or navy saddle shoes all the time.

I also wear a lot of brooches, always on my shoulder. When I wear hats, I always cock them to my right, and wear my pearl earrings with everything, even to the gym.

Grooming wise, I have settled into this center part super sleek hair style, a la Cher or Morticia Adams.

Lillemor

One Too Many
I mentioned this on another board but I have a thing about top and bottom matching so since my hair is black, my shoes or at least the soles and heels have to be black as well, regardless of what color stockings and other colors I'm wearing and regardless of what time of the year it is. Else I'll wear a hair accessory or hat that matches my shoes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou