Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Personal Heat

Mycroft

One Too Many
Aaron Hats said:
Here are a couple pics of the Rugers.

RugerV.jpg

In this pic you can see that with the Mernickle holster rides high on the hip which makes it great for concealed carry.

RugerSideView.jpg

Ying and Yang. For every bad there is some good and every good there is some bad. Very cool. Man those guns ever sans the sweet grips are cool. How do they they hold up to the .45 recoil?

Aaron Hats

Vendor
I have used one for concealed carry but I usually carry my S&W 410 in .40. This holster makes carrying the gun quite comfortable and not as heavy as you'd think.

These hold up great to the recoil of a .45. Whenever I shoot them I practice shooting right handed and left handed. I think if you plan on using a gun for protection that skill is a must. The last few rounds though I grab one in each hand and fire away.

Mycroft

One Too Many
Aaron Hats said:
I have used one for concealed carry but I usually carry my S&W 410 in .40. This holster makes carrying the gun quite comfortable and not as heavy as you'd think.

These hold up great to the recoil of a .45. Whenever I shoot them I practice shooting right handed and left handed. I think if you plan on using a gun for protection that skill is a must. The last few rounds though I grab one in each hand and fire away.

I am right handed, but shoot better left. I think I got this habit from too much archery and cross-sighting my bows. Any how, that is cool very Hollywood with the double guns.

Billy Bathgate

I need to hit the lotto and get a second 1911 to match my first. Always wanted to pratice twin 45's blazin'!

Anyone recall the scene in Billy Bathgate where they are practicing in the barn? Ever since that I have needed a pair of 1911's.

Clyde R.

One of the Regulars
I was surprised to see so many Loungers "packing heat." Pleasantly surprised, I should add. Firearms are a hot button issue with many folks. Like some of the other posters, I'm a cop and I assure you the dark underbelly of society we see will make you a pessimist about the goodwill of our fellow man. Or rather, the evil predators lurking about in the world are just more visible to us. I'm an optimist by nature, a realist by experience. The predators are a minority but they are really out there. We probably sound like paranoid and provincial Yanks to many of our friends overseas, and even at home! I can live with that. I don't want to get into the politics of guns too much, and I really don't want to be rude because the Lounge isn't like that. I hope I haven't offended anyone. Different strokes for different folks.
MK, congrats on your permit! Enjoy your new freddom and peace of mind.
Wingnut, I've owned a Ruger Vaquero and they are very good guns. I've never tried the birdshead model but I know many Cowboy action competitors have said the birdshead grip magnifies recoil. But, they look very cool:)
The holsters from Wild Bill are very good and Bill is a good guy, and a former cop, too. His shop is about thirty minutes from my place and I've dropped in to visit and buy holsters a few times and enjoyed it very much. Having said that, I usually pack "Mex Carry" sans holster off duty if the piece lends itself to that, like a good flat 1911 for example. Before you scoff, many old time Texas Rangers did the same thing and it worked for them. I just find it more comfortable most of the time. It works great with a Colt Peacemaker, too, if you flip the loading gate out.
I usually pack a .45 1911, my Old Colt Government Model is a favorite. I also like like a good Sig. My H&K P7 is my favorite summer gun because it is so flat and relatively small. I use a Wild Bills inside holster for that one. Lately, I've been using a Colt M1911 that was made in 1918 for the Army and it is a real joy. Accurate, reliable, and aesthetically pleasing all in one package. It was reblued at some point so has little "collector value" but is very nice for shooting. My Colt Peacemaker will still do the job as well. Slower to reload, but that's about the only downside. Jim Wilson said recently in an article that an old Texas Ranger Captain told him, "If you can't do it with five .45 Colt rounds, you should probably throw it in the river and run!"
I mostly collect and enjoy the vintage guns of the "golden era." They have a beauty and panache that most of the modern ones lack. But doesn't that apply to a lot of modern things?

Michaelson

One Too Many
The reall neat thing about the old thumb busters (single action revolvers) is that in a two hand hold, you can empty one as fast as a double action revolver with proper technique. I've done it before, and if the action is smooth, it's amazing just how quickly you an empty the gun. I've done it with both .357 and .44 versions, and with fairly decent accuracy.:)

Those are BEAUTIFUL birdshead revolvers! I'm envious! Makes my Super Blackhawk look like a railroad carriage artillery piece!:rolleyes:

Regards! Michaelson

Clyde R.

One of the Regulars
I think I posted this one in another thread, but it fits here, too. Love those old thumb busters! This Colt is a 2nd Generation that was made in 1960.
standard.jpg

Burma Shave

One of the Regulars
On the "why carry?" front:

I'm new to Fedora Lounge, and am very pleased to see people so interested (and not critically) in firearms. Also pleased to hear comments about the right to bear arms. I don't carry all the time (stopped when I was going through a divorce--wanted to avoid any ill appearance) but will ask permission of no man to carry when and where I want, as long as no metal detectors are in evidence.

I actually started carrying when I was mugged for the first time by three gangsta types with pistols. And when two cops burst into my house for no apparent reason a few months later, I was only happy I didn't have the .38 (or Stevens 12-gauge pump, or Enfield .308 or ...) handy. If I had, they would have shot me and gotten away with it. Never could get a straight answer as to why they entered my home. One of them said they had a 911 call about a home invasion, and the other said they thought my house was a warehouse (!) and that I had broken into it. One way or another, they held me at pistol point for 10 minutes without IDing themselves as police, and refused to go away until I called 911 to report a break-in. They didn't like thinking of themselves as intruders and tried to make a joke of it.

So it's a toss-up: If you don't carry, you're a sitting duck for muggers (depending on where you go at night, or if you perpetually carry a camera, as I do), and if you do (without a CCW) you're asking for trouble with cops. Either way, you're somebody's target.

Story

I'll Lock Up
pimp-o-licious!

For those old school fans of the 1911 (not my ad! & no link for you)

Own a piece of history that will increase in value as time goes on. This set of collectible 1911 grips are made from 208grams of 14K gold base panels encrusted with 9.65 carats of diamonds and 52.6 carats of natural rubies.The diamonds Clarity is VS2 and the color rating is D. These grips complement this Classic Nickle 1911 Colt 45acp

Started at $29,000.00 :eek:

BUY NOW for $44,000.00

Image added, so that others might share in the Lovecraftian horror
pix1776035109.jpg

jeep44

One of the Regulars
I'm pleased to see so many with Single Actions. I recently got an Uberti 1873 Cattleman's in .45LC,because I had always wanted one ever since I had a Mattel "Fanner 50" capgun waaay back when. I was firing it with black powder cartridges last weekend to get the full old-time flavor of it. Suprisingly accurate for such crude sights. I'm currently hankerin' for a .45-70 Sharps to go with it now.

Speedster

Practically Family
In Denmark you are only allowed to buy/own guns if you have been an active member of a shooting club for two years. Then you are allowed to buy a gun of your own, but you cannot take it home with you before you get your permit.

You fill in the application with the serial number of the gun and other details you send it to your shooting club, who sends it to the shooting organization, who sends it to your local police office, who sends it to the Ministry of Justice, who sits on it for 3-4 months and then return it to your local police office, who return it to the shooting organization, who returns it to your shooting club, who returns it to you. Then after about 6 months you can go and collect your gun in the gunshop. And it is not even a joke. About 6 months even if they have all your details in their system from previous permits.

And you have to go through this procedure each and every time you buy a new gun.

You then have a permit to own that specific gun, keep it in your house in an approved gunsafe, carry it (in a guncase) to and from the shooting range and shoot with it at the shooting range. You are also allowed to buy ammo for that gun.

In Denmark we have a caliber limitation of 9 mm/.38/.357 for handguns. Everything above that is not allowed. This applies for guns shooting smokeless powder. For blackpowder loads there are no caliber limitations though. On your permit it is stated what type of powder the gun is permitted to use.

I'm into Cowboy Action Shooting and have the following guns:

Cap and Ball (Blackpowder):
Pietta 1860 Colt New Army in .44 Cal.
Uberti 1858 Remington New Army in .44 Cal

Cartridge (Blackpowder):
Uberti 1873 Colt Single Action Army Cattleman in .45 Cal
Uberti 1866 Winchester Lever Action Rifle in .45 Cal

Cartridge (Smokeless):
Ruger Vaguero in .357 Cal
Ruger New Model Blackhawk in .357 Cal

Tony_Mr_Henry_Westernman_Mad_Max_Co.jpg

Me to the right.

Speedster

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wow. Americans and there guns. Concealment permits? Having them in your cars? Does my Canadian head in. Here out west we do things a little different. We hunt with them. I need to get my permit still but I have inherited a Remington 12 gauge. Once I get everything legal my father in law is taking me out duck hunting. For a fun, shooting cans off the fence, I would like a Glock 17 but I will most likely get a walther P22 (cheaper). Depending if or when the finances become available.
Johnny.

Polite

The Right to Self Defense. The right to protect family and property. When it comes to those that would challenge your right to protect your life, family and property, they would impose cowerdice on the part of the victim and ensure that the criminal will continue in their chosen vocation. Victims that fight back often deter the criminal from repeating their personal crime spree.
It is a matter of making them pay a price they care not to have to or repeat.
In the news you mostly hear the negative, but according to to FBI statistics the mere prescence of a gun deters crime daily in the thousands of instances.

Canada doesn't experience the type of crime to the degree we have here, I'd say we could probably hit higher numbers of crime in some of the cities in the US over Canada as a whole. Sad statistics to be sure.

I will add that Back in the ood Old Days, I'd go to the Gunshows in our area, and there was a lot of the regular people armed, vendors and show goers alike, along with on duty Police, Off Duty Police, and a smattering of undercover officers. Well it was the safest place I've ever been to because you'd have to be very nuts to try anything. I can't remember but one loud arguement out of all of the shows I have been to which goes along with the saying: "An armed society is a polite society."

TomMason

New in Town
Good question. Among other things, I use to teach and write on this stuff. I used to tell my concealed carry students that if they ever actually used their gun the only person that would be worse off than them would be the guy they shot - expect to be sued and/or indicted.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran