Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Philip Marlowe Returns!

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
I personally don't like Frank Miller's interpretation of film noir (don't get me started on him doing "The Spirit"). If a comic book guy was going to direct Chandler I would prefer Jim Steranko.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

Marlowe P.

One of the Regulars
The Wolf said:
I personally don't like Frank Miller's interpretation of film noir (don't get me started on him doing "The Spirit"). If a comic book guy was going to direct Chandler I would prefer Jim Steranko.

yeah I might be with you Wolf. I am worried that Miller with miss a lot of the cool nuance that I love about The Big Sleep and (some may think this is blasphemy but may be obvious from the avatar) The Long Good Bye. I really do love Altman and it is one of my favorite movies of all time.
I would hate to see Owen just recreate his Sin City character in the same setting as that movie. But hey, maybe they will at least put him in a decent hat?

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
NOOOOOO!!!!!!!

That is bad news. I love Chandler's Marlowe....but Frank Miller and his heavy handed style are a terrible choice. There won't be much left of the character we love by the time Milleris done with it.

That is worse then having Tim Burton direct it. He would cast Depp as Marlowe and give him deep set purple eyes and rat's nest hair.

I hope I am wrong and that it will be wonderful.

blacklagoon

One of the Regulars
yikes

I have never heard of frank miller,so i just checked his films out.every film i thought of as too abominable to watch ( the robocop 2 onwards etc ) he made.he seems more suited to children's films filled with cheap special effects to me,if his past work is anything to go by.after watching 300 aswell,i guess it will have another working title: philip marlowe vs alien space monsters and al capone from venus.
I have actually had a picture of clive owen in the role of philip marlowe for a long time.I think he's the wrong choice,simply because he is a typical 6 foot blue stubble faced model,exactly what the teen market,not the adult market,want to see.
I've just uploaded a picture of clive owen in his marlowe role,wearing the trenchcoat.
feingold02.jpg

Marlowe P.

One of the Regulars
The Wolf said:

Sincerely,
The Wolf

I dig the Cohen bros for directing a Marlowe movie. I think Miller's Crossing on the resume is a good start.

Corto

A-List Customer
I'm on board with the anti-Miller coalition. I liked Sin City- but I dread to see what he's going to do with the Spirit. As for Philip Marlowe...well...Elliot Gould will always be the standard for me and I hope Miller's interpretation doesn't use the "Sin City" visual style and aesthetic.

Time for something new Frank.

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
I think Clive is versatile enough to pull off the role, but agree that Miller may have him on too short of a leash and constrain him to a certain idea of what his Marlowe should be like. I'll hold any other opinions until a promo is shown.

Richard

Lulu-in-Ny

A-List Customer
blacklagoon said:
I have actually had a picture of clive owen in the role of philip marlowe for a long time.I think he's the wrong choice,simply because he is a typical 6 foot blue stubble faced model,exactly what the teen market,not the adult market,want to see.
I've just uploaded a picture of clive owen in his marlowe role,wearing the trenchcoat.
feingold02.jpg

I think this is Gerard Butler.

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Whoever that is, the picture looks very pretentious. So much of processed Marlowe is epigonal, trying to treat Chandler's irony in an ironic way, and all that comes out is an embarrassing clich?©.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Corto said:
As for Philip Marlowe...well...Elliot Gould will always be the standard for me

I like Altman and I like Gould, but Raymond Chandler surely has been spinning in his grave since the day that "adaptation" hit theatres.

There is no Marlowe but Mitchum.

blacklagoon

One of the Regulars
gerard butler

You are correct Lulu,it is gerard butler.I got the pic ages ago,when i was quickly looking for trenchcoat pictures.I saw the name clive owen,but i missed gerard butlers name.but,judging by this link,i'm not the only one who thinks they look similarlol :eusa_doh:
I think,if i am not mistaken,james bond was modelled on cary grant aswell.

http://www.mcheathers.com/GB4fun.htm

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart