Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Phoenix Hat Company

I wish I had the time to make straws Brent, as I really enjoy doing it, but I've been up to my a** in fur felt and saw dust lately. Also, it remains to be seen whether or not my straw hat apprentice has the same level of persistence and dedication to the craft that I do. It is not a process I would recommend for the impatient, unfocused, or easily frustrated. On the bright side, my semi-retirement is eight short months away so, one way or the other, I will definitely be rolling out the straw line before the summer of 2020. Thanks for your continued interest and support my friend. I'll definitely keep you all posted.

You could always have them made in China and switch to plastic “straw” and then license your name to the Bollman Hat Co. :)

I’ll wait for a true craftsman/craftswoman(?) to make me a quality hat I’ll wear for years and then pass on to future generations. Summer 2020 will, sadly, be here before we know it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

humanshoes

One Too Many
As I said previously, let me know what hat you are going to make for me and when, no rush, happy to wait.
[emoji3577]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'll have you covered Jonesy. Figuratively and literally. You're proving what I already think, that no human being who lives where you live could possibly ever be in a rush. Oh, I almost forgot to mention your new delivery arrangement. The next time you're visiting the mainland I'll hand deliver your hat to the island. I'm just gonna need to know how long you'll be away and where you keep your spare house key.

humanshoes

One Too Many
You could always have them made in China and switch to plastic “straw” and then license your name to the Bollman Hat Co. :)

I’ll wait for a true craftsman/craftswoman(?) to make me a quality hat I’ll wear for years and then pass on to future generations. Summer 2020 will, sadly, be here before we know it.

Funny thing about it Brent is, outside of a mass production/extremely low labor cost scenario and all other things being equal, i.e. leather sweatband, quality ribbon, etc., it's not substantially less expensive to make one out of plastic than it is straw and certainly not any easier. I can safely say that, unless I move there for some unfathomable reason, no Phoenix hats will ever be made in China.

humanshoes

One Too Many
With everyone's indulgence, I'd like to throw this out here for general comments and opinions. I recently saw a picture of a hat (pic 1) describing the various hat parts and really like the ribbon treatment. So much so that I set about trying to recreate the tri-color ribbon using one of my straw braid hat machines which was perfect for the task. The ribbon colors in my first attempt (pic 2) are, bottom to top, standard dark brown, mid-brown (sudan), and lighter brown (saddle). The ribbon is pictured against a whiskey beaver felt. I've already received some feedback on the ribbon such as "too flashy" and not "traditional" for a fedora. I cordially invite you all to let me know what you think.
Tri-Colored Ribbon.jpg
Tri-Color and Whiskey.JPG

With everyone's indulgence, I'd like to throw this out here for general comments and opinions. I recently saw a picture of a hat (pic 1) describing the various hat parts and really like the ribbon treatment. So much so that I set about trying to recreate the tri-color ribbon using one of my straw braid hat machines which was perfect for the task. The ribbon colors in my first attempt (pic 2) are, bottom to top, standard dark brown, mid-brown (sudan), and lighter brown (saddle). The ribbon is pictured against a whiskey beaver felt. I've already received some feedback on the ribbon such as "too flashy" and not "traditional" for a fedora. I cordially invite you all to let me know what you think.
View attachment 173339 View attachment 173340

The whiskey felt shows a lot of green on my monitor so I don’t know about the color rendering. As for the concept: YES. There were always hats that didn’t follow the script and I think the concept can really pop without being over the top. I’d definitely consider it on a custom.

Scooterz

Practically Family
At the risk of being mistaken for being bicurious, I think the two colors instead of three might be a little better. The two upper ribbons would look good together. You could also flip the bow colors or maybe just do the multicolor on the bow and one color on ribbon. Just some deep thoughts that occur primarily during insomnia. Brim binding with one of the colors would be better I think than the original hat's 4th color on brim. Also the crown ribbon on original hat would look better with a different color of thread. At least it looks like its sewn with black thread and then put on hat. If that was some brownish toned thread or if it matched one of the ribbons it would look better to me.

Bill Hughes

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Various colors on a ribbon? I like it!

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
I like the concept, but that was my first impression also. A two color band might work better than three.

At the risk of being mistaken for being bicurious, I think the two colors instead of three might be a little better. The two upper ribbons would look good together. You could also flip the bow colors or maybe just do the multicolor on the bow and one color on ribbon. Just some deep thoughts that occur primarily during insomnia. Brim binding with one of the colors would be better I think than the original hat's 4th color on brim. Also the crown ribbon on original hat would look better with a different color of thread. At least it looks like its sewn with black thread and then put on hat. If that was some brownish toned thread or if it matched one of the ribbons it would look better to me.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up

I like it. I think it looks sharp, though probably not my personal style. It has a neat pugaree feel. One of my favorite trimmings aesthetically is on a cheap black wool hat. Black ribbon on both bow and brim is layered over a brown one. I’d be interested in seeing more hats along those lines, with various color combinations.

20d788d1e256fa8246b939cfe208fcd0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DOGMAN

One Too Many
nrRXlTm.jpg

I like multi colored ribbon.Here is a western conversion I did and reworked the ribbon

I really like it. Most collectors here on the lounge have plenty of "traditional" hats anyway, so why not try something different? Reminds me a bit of this Barbisio Carnagione I found a while ago (found its way back to Italy since then).

barbisio carnagione_03.jpg

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
I was pondering this some more and thought also that the combination of browns as pictured above might come off better (to my eye) if there were a bound edge.

I also agree that a two tone ribbon would look great too.

humanshoes

One Too Many
I was pondering this some more and thought also that the combination of browns as pictured above might come off better (to my eye) if there were a bound edge.

I also agree that a two tone ribbon would look great too.
I agree Jared. I'm planning to bind the brim with the saddle (lightest) ribbon. Too many customer hats in the queue right now to make one for myself, but I'll post a picture of the finished hat when I do get it made.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk