Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Phoenix Hat Company

That's bright! Internet browsers aren't color managed so it's always going to be difficult to get accurate colors online. Add to that the fact that most people don't bother, or know about, white balancing their cameras/phones (WB). For accurate photos, it's best to photograph in natural, indirect light and put something white in the photo because it makes it easy to go back and color correct.

The colors are accurate. The purple was...purple. If you read more of the thread you’ll see the Rick remade the hat for me with colors more like what I had in mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tukwila

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The pastry roller belongs to my wife and is an excellent tool to put in the centre dent bash! The hard part is sneaking it out and back into the kitchen. Rick did an excellent job of fulfilling my vision for what is (was) to be my last hat. I figured I would top the collection with the mink/beaver blend and call it a day. However I decided to get Rick to make one last hat for me out of a Tonak antelope finish in a somewhat unique style (at least for me)...stay tuned as it is a January delivery.

The family now has 4 of Rick's creations in the home, 3 for me and 1 for my wife. I can say that his hat making skills are an equal to my other customs from 8 other custom makers. Thank you, Rick.
How about a family pic of the 4 hats?

Very nice indeed! I apologize, but this old laptop is getting worse with color display... is the beaver/mink felt a gray hue? What colors are the crown ribbon and brim binding?

humanshoes

One Too Many
The pastry roller belongs to my wife and is an excellent tool to put in the centre dent bash! The hard part is sneaking it out and back into the kitchen. Rick did an excellent job of fulfilling my vision for what is (was) to be my last hat. I figured I would top the collection with the mink/beaver blend and call it a day. However I decided to get Rick to make one last hat for me out of a Tonak antelope finish in a somewhat unique style (at least for me)...stay tuned as it is a January delivery.

The family now has 4 of Rick's creations in the home, 3 for me and 1 for my wife. I can say that his hat making skills are an equal to my other customs from 8 other custom makers. Thank you, Rick.
Thanks for the kind words bb. I've thoroughly enjoyed making hats for you and your lovely wife.

humanshoes

One Too Many
The colors are accurate. The purple was...purple. If you read more of the thread you’ll see the Rick remade the hat for me with colors more like what I had in mind.

You know Brent, I still kind of miss that original purple trimmed hat. I still have plenty of that ribbon on the shelf and may decide to unleash my inner "Prince" someday. At any rate, it'll always be a good story to tell about the best of intentions going horribly wrong. Hah!

How about a family pic of the 4 hats?

Very nice indeed! I apologize, but this old laptop is getting worse with color display... is the beaver/mink felt a gray hue? What colors are the crown ribbon and brim binding?
It is a Winchester natural...a bit lighter than my one other natural. It has a silverbelly brim binding with a Serpent colour on the bow...light briwn with a slight green undertone. All in all a monochrome look.

humanshoes

One Too Many
Hey, Rick, when you get around to making a 2020 price list can you please include prices for nutria too? Thanks!

Will do Brent. I haven't made one yet, but I hope to be able to thin that felt out considerably without encountering the dreaded shellac core that is present in our domestic felts. I was disappointed to see that the nutria bodies went from 180 to 220 grams, but I'm also grateful that to be able to get them at all.

humanshoes

One Too Many
Happy New Year's wishes to all my friends here on the Fedora Lounge. May you have a happy and healthy 2020 and remain steadfast in all your resolutions. My sincere thanks to each and every one of you for helping to make 2019 a wonderful year to be a "hat guy". Just please, whatever else you do, don't end up like this guy...

Perce the Drunk.jpg

Tukwila

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Happy New Year's wishes to all my friends here on the Fedora Lounge. May you have a happy and healthy 2020 and remain steadfast in all your resolutions. My sincere thanks to each and every one of you for helping to make 2019 a wonderful year to be a "hat guy". Just please, whatever else you do, don't end up like this guy...

View attachment 203018
Happy New Year, Rick. A wonderful, prosperous 2020 to you and your loved ones.

humanshoes

One Too Many
The new 3D printed hat block from Randal Alan arrived just after Christmas and I finally found a minute to soak and stretch an old hat body on it to see how well it will perform. First of all, let me say that Randal was very accommodating and pleasant to deal with. I told him that I was interested in a "Boss of the Plains" style block with a 4 1/4" crown height and that's exactly what he delivered. His blocks are made exactly to size so one must order one size up to allow for sweatband installation. Weighing in at 1lb 6oz with the appropriate spinner and finger holes in the bottom the block is easy to handle and seems quite durable. I did notice the decal flaws and others may be concerned by this, but I'm not. I'm only interested in the long term performance. I'll post more when I have time to get to the ironing stage, which will be the true test, but so far I'm pretty impressed with this little block.
IMG_1549.JPG
IMG_1550.JPG
IMG_1552.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points