Phoenix Hat Company

Discussion in 'Hats' started by deadlyhandsome, Apr 1, 2018.

1. humanshoes

humanshoes Vendor

The trial run of the Randal Alan 3D printed hat block is complete. To be honest, I was fully prepared for the block to fail, and even thought it might, however, the finish held up nicely and the hat body released easily from the block. I figured the block itself or at least the finish would probably just melt and stick to the hat body. I'm happy to say that didn't happen. I applied the maximum amount of heat, steam, and pressure and even spent some time ironing directly on the block with only a thin pressing cloth between the block and my commercial steam iron with no ill effect to the block. After all that abuse, I did notice a bit of discoloration at the top of block, but that was not due to finish breakdown or loss and I don't believe it's anything that will effect the block's performance in any way.
    In summation, I believe that Randal's blocks will be a great alternative to heavier, pricier wood blocks. Of course, at this point, I can't speak to long term durability. I will say that, so far, I can see no reason why these blocks won't provide years of good service. As a craftsman I believe there is no such thing as too many tools in the toolbox and I'm excited that there is yet another one available to hatters. As a bonus, there seems to be no limit to the styles he can create.
    Disclaimer: Even though Randal was kind enough to send me a free demo block, I have no personal stake in the success or failure of his enterprise and have neither requested nor received any future special considerations.
    IMG_1575.JPG IMG_1571.JPG IMG_1569.JPG

2. jlee562

jlee562 I'll Lock Up

Oh don't tempt me with a BOP style!

3. humanshoes

humanshoes Vendor

I don't think I need to Jared. Seems like you've been tempted for a long time.

jlee562 likes this.
  4. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

Too late.

jlee562 and humanshoes like this.
  5. T Jones

T Jones I'll Lock Up

Excellent!

rsteinjr likes this.
  6. rsteinjr

rsteinjr New in Town

Beautiful result! I appreciate you taking the time to test my 3d printed block. I love the hat you made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. humanshoes

humanshoes Vendor

Thanks to you Randal. Keep up the good work!

rsteinjr likes this.
  8. T Jones

T Jones I'll Lock Up

I think you may be replying to Rick. I haven't had the pleasure of using one of your blocks yet. I'm the one who just contacted you recently on Etsy and sent you pictures and measurements of a block that I wanted you to make for me. I'm definitely looking forward to it.

rsteinjr likes this.
  9. Rmccamey

Rmccamey Call Me a Cab

Always good to have more tools!

10. humanshoes

humanshoes Vendor

Coming soon to the Phoenix Hat Company workshop. A tool I do not need for a product I do not make, however, I figured I'd never get another chance in my lifetime to see one of these in person so I pulled the trigger. Pics of the real deal to follow.
    Maillard Straw Hat Brim Press.png

11. belfastboy

belfastboy My Mail is Forwarded Here

Oh, damn....now I want one!

12. humanshoes

humanshoes Vendor

Well hell bb, when this ad ran in Volume 42 of The American Hatter in 1913 you could have picked up a nice electric one for about two and a half weeks worth of wages. That is, providing you were working about 50 hours per week.

13. belfastboy

belfastboy My Mail is Forwarded Here

AND if you had electricity!!

humanshoes likes this.
  14. humanshoes

humanshoes Vendor

$15.00 difference between the gas and electric models. I guess they figured if you were well enough off to have electricity you could afford to pay more.

15. jonesy86

jonesy86 Call Me a Cab

Did someone mention straw hats?

Tukwila likes this.
  16. humanshoes

humanshoes Vendor

Maybe this will be the season Jonesy. I'm back to a one-man hat shop arrangement though. My would be apprentice just couldn't...

jonesy86 and deadlyhandsome like this.
  17. humanshoes

humanshoes Vendor

The elusive Maillard Straw Hat Brim Press now has a new home in the Phoenix Hat Company workshop. I believe these were designed just to flatten brims on boater/skimmer type straw hats, but, with the use of pressing cloths to eliminate segment marks, I don't plan to limit it's use to straws. It's built like a tank, weighs in at nearly 40 pounds, and was clearly made to give many lifetimes of service. It's likely 100+ years old so I'd say it's lived up to it's end of the bargain and it's not done yet. I'm very happy and grateful to be able to give this rare and beautiful old press a new and useful life in my little hat shop.
    IMG_1590.JPG IMG_1593.JPG IMG_1594.JPG IMG_1589.JPG

18. manicsubmersion

manicsubmersion New in Town

As I promised Rick, here is my new Phoenix hat on its way to the Phantom Ranch at the bottom of the Grand Canyon. We hiked down the South Kaibab trail and spend a couple of nights at Phantom Ranch. More photos and more details of the hat in a future post. upload_2020-1-27_7-47-36.png

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  19. manicsubmersion

manicsubmersion New in Town

A closer view of the hat. Pecan 100% beaver, western weight.
    upload_2020-1-27_7-57-43.png

20. Courier Six

Courier Six New in Town

That Pecan looks really nice.
    How tall is that one along with brim width?

After asking for advice in another thread and talking with Rick I'm going to have my own western weight beaver in chocolate to be my first "real hat" to hold onto for a long time.
    Seeing photos like this definitely adds to the anticipation.

Woodtroll and Robieman like this.