Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Photographs Of Hats Fresh From Surviving The Elements

Woodtroll

One Too Many
I haven’t had a chance to wear my Territory in a real deluge yet, but I assume it would be good, as long as wind didn‘t blow water in the vents.

I've always been curious how much water would actually come in the small grommet vents, such as the one Akubra uses, in a hard rain. I've always avoided vented hats for fear they would leak badly. Anyone have actual experience with this that they would share?

CKC

Familiar Face
The guy in the video with the garden hose didn’t take in any significant water through the vents, but there was no significant wind.

https://www.youtube.com/
I clicked the link and it just went to You tube and not the specific video. When you said "guy... with the garden hose", I think I know exactly the video you meant.

Here's another link.

Who?

Practically Family
I clicked the link and it just went to You tube and not the specific video. When you said "guy... with the garden hose", I think I know exactly the video you meant.

Here's another link.
That’s the one. I’m not sure what’s going on with the video link. YouTube may have tinkered with something.

I was somewhat mistaken about the water coming straight down.

But in any event, his head stayed relatively dry.

Woodtroll

One Too Many
Thank y'all for the responses and for the video link, I enjoyed it! He mentioned several times getting "sprayed" through the vents, which makes sense based on the angle. And I had to laugh when the little one got the "horizontal rain" involved! :D

Happy

New in Town
IMG_2450.jpeg

Even some older cheap hats performed well in rain.
This old thing is a 1972-1973 Circle C Brand. I wore it as I guided in Colorado up between Creede and Lake City. It was rained on and snowed on many times and never leaked through. The sweat band rotted and the hat is loose but not floppy. I can not remember how much I paid but it was affordable to a 9th grader.

Last edited:

ILB Frank

One of the Regulars
There hasn't been sunshine in maybe two weeks. I would have expected a lot more action in this thread because of that (so maybe it's just too depressing to post wet hats?)

Had to do a walk-through on a misting morning in my Major Moore Buckaroo.
PXL_20240130_154708738.MP.jpg

One good thing about wet hats is you can fine tune the shape of the crown and/or brim.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner