Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Photoplays!

mike

Call Me a Cab
In support of the Roubin Mamoulian masterpiece...
DSCN0783.jpg

DSCN0784.jpg

I really dig the artwork...
DSCN0759.jpg

Lon Chaney, Sr's first major (lost) film...
DSCN0757.jpg

DSCN0758.jpg

Does it get any better than this? The 1925 Lost World!
DSCN0760.jpg

DSCN0762.jpg

Oh right! The 1916 version of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea!
DSCN0802.jpg

DSCN0803.jpg

mike

Call Me a Cab
Here's what things looked like a few decades later. Personally, cheap by comparison. Le sigh...

DSCN0799.jpg

DSCN0800.jpg

DSCN0801.jpg

But backing up, I've saved the best for last.

This is the photoplay for King Vidor's the Champ:
DSCN0804.jpg

DSCN0805.jpg

And these are the handmade 1932 internal instructions on how to produce the photoplay for a mass market!

DSCN0809.jpg

DSCN0819.jpg

DSCN0815.jpg

DSCN0816.jpg

DSCN0811.jpg

mike

Call Me a Cab
mike said:
I've been very interested in the writer Tiffany Thayer recently. This is a first (only) pressing of his 1934 book Dr. Arnoldi, about a world where no one can die. Literally the ocean fills up with human beings wishing to shuffle off this plane but to no avail. It's out of control.
DSCN0791.jpg

DSCN0792.jpg

I just finished reading this book.... It was absolutely amazing! Something EC Comics couldn't have imagined in scale or scope. Literally, the author apologizes to the reader in the end and pleads to God if there is an other story idea out there similar, to instead give it to HG Wells to write! lol

I've since then realized that Tiffany Thayer also wrote the source material for the uncanny pre-code film starring a young Myrna Loy, Thirteen Women! I found an original 1932 copy for 3 bucks and it's en route :D

Mysterious Mose

Practically Family
More amazing stuff! Never seen a photoplay in the wild, they're fascinating.
I have the regular Beggars of Life in my tramps and thieves collection. I'll try take some pics. tonight, including the Sherlock H.'s.

The Tiffany Thayer illustration reminds me of Arthur Wragg,very dark, heartbreaking stuff:
My%20Col21.jpg

RetroPat

Familiar Face
I always look at books as little works of art. These take it to a whole new level. Thank you all for sharing your beautiful books. Yet another area of vintage collecting for me to get sucked into.

mike

Call Me a Cab
These are not mine either. But this first one might be some of the best artwork I've seen on a photoplay dust jacket! (btw - Reader's Library specifically are British issued books)

1314711765.jpg

157432682.jpg

344779398.jpg

mike

Call Me a Cab
1920's Danish circus film photoplay that I picked up for $1.50. It's getting to the point that people may be paying ME to take these off their hands! haha

Picture26.png

"A.W. Sandberg was the leading director at the Nordisk Films Kompagni from 1916 until 1926. He broke with the company due to their lack of support of his financial dispositions in connection with the production of The Golden Clown. He finished the film on his own funds. The Golden Clown is one of the best international quality films in Danish silent cinema. It develops the love triangle between the lovable clown, the circus princess and the Parisian bon vivant. Like so many films of the silent era, it is a tale of the old rural world and the glamour and danger in the big city. The Golden Clown is a remake of Sandberg's own highly successful film from 1917, which starred Valdemar Psilander. "

mike

Call Me a Cab
I found a copy of this WITH original dust jacket for super cheap... Incredible artwork, huh!?!? It would make one heck of a tattoo....

I think one day I could put my kids through college with this stuff... when they pry 'em from my cold, dead hands :p

1296622409.jpg

mike

Call Me a Cab
Here's something I love. While on the search, you can find completely overlooked treasures, such as this contemporary to Thea Von Harbou's Metropolis...

127591.jpg

"Translation of LES CONDAMNES A MORT (1920). A fine novel of an automated nightmare world of the future. "Told on an almost surrealistic level; cerebral, but imaginative; far superior to the similar METROPOLIS by Thea von Harbou." - Bleiler, Science-Fiction: The Early Years"

...I mean, who knew!??! :eusa_doh: :D This goes in the "What if...?" category of this could have been one of the golden era's masterpiece films if only it actually made it to the silver screen! And yet, it didn't so all we can do is imagine. Who would have directed it? What if Thalberg said to LB Mayer, "We're getting killed by WF over at Fox Films. They have US distribution rights for that crazy futurist German movie called Metropolis. We can pick up the rights to this French book with similar themes..." The mind boggles! haha

mike

Call Me a Cab
Feraud said:
In what way is it strange Mike?

Photoplay paperbacks from the period are mighty hard to find today, and pretty beat up when you do come across them. Whether hardcover, paperback, domestic-made, or International-made, photoplays are very formulaic in how they are packaged and designed. Only the paperbacks have photos interspersed within the body of the text. Otherwise, they are reproduced on glossy, one sided paper which is inserted as a separate page in the book. Am I easily impressed? Sure, why not! :p

By the way, not to say it is the first, but the earliest example I've seen of a film photoplay is from 1908 of a film titled, The Wolf.

mike

Call Me a Cab
Not mine, but went for big bucks recently....

This is the basis for what became the lost Lon Chaney, Sr. horror film, A Blind Bargain:

Picture25.png

Some great pre-code era artwork here:
Picture28.png

Picture30.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy