Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Photos of cool jackets owned by others (non-brand specific)

Edward

Bartender
What would be a reason for a company to hide in which country their jackets are produced. Only reason I can think of is because they are produce in one of the low wages countries.

A lot of the market for this sort of thing do undeniably place qualitative value judgements on an item based solely on country of origin. I'm not talking about political issues (such as human rights concerns, or environmental issues like air-miles or low-wages), more about ephemeral perceptions like "Japan made good, China made bad". You could have a Chinese made jacket built by someone paid two fortunes of the most perfect hide, but you slap "Made in China" on that label, and there are a significant number of people would refuse to accept it could possibly be of any quality whatever, and swear blind something made to vastly lower standards must be better because it was made in the "First World". Equally, there will be people perfectly happy to buy something made in China - but because it's made in China, they'll expect to get it for next to nothing, even if that is less that cost.

Doesn't necessarily justify hiding where something is made, but I can well understand the frustration in dealing with unrealistic market expectations. It's like the people who whine about DMs being made in China and not England, the materials being cheaper than they were - and yet on the other hand they refuse to pay for the MiE boots, expecting to pay the price they did twenty years ago.

Regarding them being made outside of Greece, you meant out of Greece? That's what BK claimed, but it seems doubtful at that point. When I looked into it, nobody had heard of anything like that.

BK, afaik, maintain they manufacture in Greece; it was believed by some that they were manufacturing elsewhere than in Greece. I don't honestly know either way - tbh, their salesman's attitude both here and when I emailed them a few years ago put me off enough that they're just not a consideration.

Coolest Schott I've seen...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vtg-60s-SC...e-Lined-Jacket-Size-38-40-Medium/233771328553
Screen Shot 2020-11-06 at 5.12.00 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-11-06 at 5.12.30 PM.png

Edward

Bartender
Plus, it must be most inconvenient. Looks like a design mistake, thus the price drop.

With expanding the product range, Simon's gone back to doing a pre-order option on some items. The business model is that it brings in the initial investment to get a run made to begin with, then there's a small stock run thereafter. The pre-orders are at a small discount across the board on all pre-order items - they're not seconds in any way. Sometimes the promo photo, being of a prototype inevitably, has minor differences from the final versions.... though afaik this pocket angle is deliberate. Personally I rather like it - the first thing that jumped out to me from the image is the way the chest pocket echoes the handwarmer. It's a distinctive detail ,though clearly not one that is for everybody.

Mandarin

Practically Family
^^^ I understand. Still, although the pocket angle makes sense esthetically (the jacket really looks good), it is dysfunctional from a practical point of view, especially if you try to slip your wallet with your right hand in that pocket. A reverse angle would've made sense, but there's already an inside pocket on the same side, thus making the outside pocket redundant, or just decorative.

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
I don't mind the pocket angle at all, I generally don't use the chest pocket anyway but at the current angle only the hand on the same side has any real chance of getting in there ( left hand?)

the jacket is cut short, most likely to go along with the higher waisted pants he also sells but it might work well on a shorter guy

Edward

Bartender
The length is very much vintage repro. All SJC stuff is based on vintage designs - at present, I think almost everything he's done to date has been pre-war. That said, he's got a great marketing approach, imo, in avoiding just marketing it as vintage repop, and reaching out to the fashion set as well. (There's a lovely irony in part of SJC's market being fashion forward!).

Mich486

One Too Many
The model looks like came out of a period movie set. Very early 20th century, a bit too much imho. I don’t dislike the jacket though, relatively affordable too.

That Gangsterville looks like a Block-bilt...My Ralphs-Pugh also has the faux D-pocket stitching...I love it as a detail, but would have it done in cording if I did a remake to show it off.

dannyk

One Too Many
This is completely out of left field to me and I don’t know what’s wrong with me haha. But I saw this and I kinda love it. Pretty Green is a clothing company owned by Liam Gallagher(singer of Oasis) Mostly British Lad type clothing(If you know what that means) that does not appeal to me at all. Being a huge rockabilly-original rock n roll fan; a buddy of mine stumbled across this. Pretty Green just released a line inspired by Elvis. 98% of it has nothing to do with Elvis other than a few shirts having face on it. This certainly doesn’t make me think of Elvis other than it’s Velour. I’ve never owned anything velour; nor have I ever wanted to. But I blame TFL. No matter how nice, you can only see so many black or brown leather jackets until you want something else and want to experiment. At first I thought the price was crazy but then compared to other high end Peacoat type jacket makers it’s right in-line. I guess I’ve gone through the looking glass and came out the other side wanting a velour peacoat.

2EF57F10-04AE-45A4-B11F-DBA842A539F9.png
8C3CDA7D-2FB1-4A8D-B445-4C266FD48170.png
17E51F68-2DEA-44C8-9D54-93CB14E2ED11.png

This is completely out of left field to me and I don’t know what’s wrong with me haha. But I saw this and I kinda love it. Pretty Green is a clothing company owned by Liam Gallagher(singer of Oasis) Mostly British Lad type clothing(If you know what that means) that does not appeal to me at all. Being a huge rockabilly-original rock n roll fan; a buddy of mine stumbled across this. Pretty Green just released a line inspired by Elvis. 98% of it has nothing to do with Elvis other than a few shirts having face on it. This certainly doesn’t make me think of Elvis other than it’s Velour. I’ve never owned anything velour; nor have I ever wanted to. But I blame TFL. No matter how nice, you can only see so many black or brown leather jackets until you want something else and want to experiment. At first I thought the price was crazy but then compared to other high end Peacoat type jacket makers it’s right in-line. I guess I’ve gone through the looking glass and came out the other side wanting a velour peacoat.

View attachment 279940 View attachment 279939 View attachment 279938

Lol, it's ace! Get it!

Don’t encourage me. I feel like it’s a purchase I’ll regret. Not much market for flipping it here! What’s wrong with me!

Well, if you're not sure you'll wear it then no, skip it but... On the other hand, it seems like such a massive statement piece you're guaranteed to bring only fun when wearing this. Anything that's not boring is good in my book.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana