Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Photos of cool jackets owned by others (non-brand specific)

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Pike brothers cossack.
Made in Greece. Could this be produced by Thedi? The corduroy on the inside of the cuffs looks familiar.
6A457E0E-5091-45EE-8980-9E14DFB7818A.jpeg

31099B9D-EE38-4846-BD3F-B8BB66D28202.jpeg

https://www.pikebrothers-shop.com/I...Index=2&itemSpecialView=&number=P0301-19-0004

Mich486

One Too Many
There are details found on Kelso’s jackets (the way the side straps are folded and the black d-rings). Can’t figure out what the leather is from the German website but it’s not Liberty.

Edward

Bartender
Not a Thedi...Kelso maybe.

Possibly. Was there ever a conclusion in the debate as to where Kelso were made and by whom? When BK first started they gave the impression of being either an offshoot of or at least sourced from a long-established company that had decided to get into the retro game. I know at one point Thedi were thought to be a source, but they apparently weren't aware of BK. Kelso - or the source of Kelso - could well be making them for Pike, as a number of other companies have done. Aero used to work with Levis (though I get the impression they're too busy with their own operation nowadays to have time to produce for a third party), SB do a lot of stuff for other labels, and so on.

what ever it is, I like it.. looks pretty good, and at a fair price

Very significantly cheaper than the equivalent model seems to be on the BK website, for sure.

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Possibly. Was there ever a conclusion in the debate as to where Kelso were made and by whom? When BK first started they gave the impression of being either an offshoot of or at least sourced from a long-established company that had decided to get into the retro game. I know at one point Thedi were thought to be a source, but they apparently weren't aware of BK. Kelso - or the source of Kelso - could well be making them for Pike, as a number of other companies have done. Aero used to work with Levis (though I get the impression they're too busy with their own operation nowadays to have time to produce for a third party), SB do a lot of stuff for other labels, and so on.

Wherever the BK jackets are made is a total mystery. Do they have "made in" tag in the jackets?

Sorry for asking again, but can you recap what are the rules regarding country of manufacture? You can have most of a jacket made wherever in the world and then bring them here in the UK for example, sew in a few tags and claim "made in the UK"?

Wherever the BK jackets are made is a total mystery. Do they have "made in" tag in the jackets?

Sorry for asking again, but can you recap what are the rules regarding country of manufacture? You can have most of a jacket made wherever in the world and then bring them here in the UK for example, sew in a few tags and claim "made in the UK"?

Wasn't it established they're made in Pakistan?

Edward

Bartender

Currently there are no clear rules in the UK on this. There's no direct requirement in terms of consumer protection. There are several campaigns on this, with varying motivations from environmentalists who want to reduce airmiles by 'buying local' to the obvious, more unpleasant strains of nationalism and all points in between, but government at least in the last decade has favoured more "voluntary" approaches rather than creating a standardised approach or definition. It is affected indirectly by trading regulations which require a manufacturing label for the purposes of tracing appropriate taxes and such, but there's no need for that to be prominent in the same way as EU-originated law now requires for composition of textiles and such. It is perfectly legal, for example, to have a small label on the inside seam of a shirt or jacket saying "Made in China", while the main label at the neck might say "Designed in the UK", or "Styled in the UK", or "Made with Italian Horsehide" or some such. There's no clear distinction between products which receive only a final finish or assembly in the UK, and products which are made start to finish in the UK, or any point in between. In terms of the trade rules, manufacture or place where 'substantial value' is added seem to be the key issues, but "Made in the UK" seems to encompass final assembly of foreign-made parts.

The oddest one I've ever seen was a Nigel Cabourn sheepskin jacket being sold with both "Made in Scotland" (By Alexander Leathers / Simmons Bilt) and NC's standard branding "Nigel Cabourn Made In England" prominently on it. Rather confused to say the least!

Personally, I'd like to see a standard applied to clothing in the same way as the recent EU Regulations (in force now in the UK as they came in within the transition period which runs until Dec 31st 2020) on certain foodstuffs. Those regulations allow for 'manufactured in UK' as the place where the food items were made, but if prominent / significant / core ingredients were grown or made abroad, that too must be labelled. I think it would be worth having a clear requirement that a garment be labelled for point of manufacture (i.e. where sewn together) and origin of materials. Thus Aero, for example, with a jacket made from Vicenza would be:

"Jacket manufactured in Scotland" or "Jacket manufactured in UK" plus "Horsehide tanned in Italy"

Inevitably, if you make these things too complicated for manufacturers it hurts small businesses, but there's got to be a reasonable balance between that and consumer protection. I suspect most of the sort of places we round here want to buy from like Aero or Thedi or Lewis or whomever aren't going to have a problem with all of this as they generally already do, these things being relevant to our market. At the wider level I'm not opposed to overseas manufacturing on everything (as long as their staff receive a respectable, living wage commensurate to their skill and the local economy), but I would, to be honest, have reservations about paying a 'UK manufacture' price where that is not being passed on to the workforce. When it comes to clothing especially ethical production is important to me - knowing the sourcing of both materials and manufacturing labour are both sound is an important part of that.

AVI were - they were outed by the manufacturer themselves, who proceeded to sell them on Ebay at a third of the AVI price, which is possibly why we've not heard of AVI recently!

BK were suspected of manufacturing outside Greece, but I don't think there was ever any definitive answer one way or the other.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
BK were suspected of manufacturing outside Greece, but I don't think there was ever any definitive answer one way or the other.
What would be a reason for a company to hide in which country their jackets are produced. Only reason I can think of is because they are produce in one of the low wages countries.

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here

It wasn't established as far as I know, but it seems like a strong probability considering everything we know.

Currently there are no clear rules in the UK on this. There's no direct requirement in terms of consumer protection. There are several campaigns on this, with varying motivations from environmentalists who want to reduce airmiles by 'buying local' to the obvious, more unpleasant strains of nationalism and all points in between, but government at least in the last decade has favoured more "voluntary" approaches rather than creating a standardised approach or definition. It is affected indirectly by trading regulations which require a manufacturing label for the purposes of tracing appropriate taxes and such, but there's no need for that to be prominent in the same way as EU-originated law now requires for composition of textiles and such. It is perfectly legal, for example, to have a small label on the inside seam of a shirt or jacket saying "Made in China", while the main label at the neck might say "Designed in the UK", or "Styled in the UK", or "Made with Italian Horsehide" or some such. There's no clear distinction between products which receive only a final finish or assembly in the UK, and products which are made start to finish in the UK, or any point in between. In terms of the trade rules, manufacture or place where 'substantial value' is added seem to be the key issues, but "Made in the UK" seems to encompass final assembly of foreign-made parts.

The oddest one I've ever seen was a Nigel Cabourn sheepskin jacket being sold with both "Made in Scotland" (By Alexander Leathers / Simmons Bilt) and NC's standard branding "Nigel Cabourn Made In England" prominently on it. Rather confused to say the least!

Personally, I'd like to see a standard applied to clothing in the same way as the recent EU Regulations (in force now in the UK as they came in within the transition period which runs until Dec 31st 2020) on certain foodstuffs. Those regulations allow for 'manufactured in UK' as the place where the food items were made, but if prominent / significant / core ingredients were grown or made abroad, that too must be labelled. I think it would be worth having a clear requirement that a garment be labelled for point of manufacture (i.e. where sewn together) and origin of materials. Thus Aero, for example, with a jacket made from Vicenza would be:

"Jacket manufactured in Scotland" or "Jacket manufactured in UK" plus "Horsehide tanned in Italy"

Inevitably, if you make these things too complicated for manufacturers it hurts small businesses, but there's got to be a reasonable balance between that and consumer protection. I suspect most of the sort of places we round here want to buy from like Aero or Thedi or Lewis or whomever aren't going to have a problem with all of this as they generally already do, these things being relevant to our market. At the wider level I'm not opposed to overseas manufacturing on everything (as long as their staff receive a respectable, living wage commensurate to their skill and the local economy), but I would, to be honest, have reservations about paying a 'UK manufacture' price where that is not being passed on to the workforce. When it comes to clothing especially ethical production is important to me - knowing the sourcing of both materials and manufacturing labour are both sound is an important part of that.

AVI were - they were outed by the manufacturer themselves, who proceeded to sell them on Ebay at a third of the AVI price, which is possibly why we've not heard of AVI recently!

Thanks, that makes it very clear! I definitely would prefer, as you mentionned, having a clear requirement that a garment be labelled for point of manufacture and origin of materials.

Regarding them being made outside of Greece, you meant out of Greece? That's what BK claimed, but it seems doubtful at that point. When I looked into it, nobody had heard of anything like that.

What would be a reason for a company to hide in which country their jackets are produced. Only reason I can think of is because they are produce in one of the low wages countries.

Pretty much this, people are more likely to pay more for a product made in a high wage country, there is a real incentive to play with country of manufacture

Edit: typos

Unfortunately, I only discovered this jacket now, otherwise maybe I would have had it reproduced by 5*.
But I just don't need more than two shearlings :D

View attachment 277986

That's the closest match for the jacket I've seen on eBay years ago, the Irvin-Motorcycle hybrid.

Someone was selling an altered WW2 Irvin that had had zippered slash pockets added to it, reinforced sleeves with leather panels, just like on this RRL and a patch D-pocket of a sort. Something was also done to the back of the jacket but I can't recall what. It was the coolest thing I've seen!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider