Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Photos of cool jackets owned by others (non-brand specific)

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
RM Bucos owned by a fd of mine. Far corner of bottom photo is another RM Buco a black and white J-24 style but with side laces. I am not sure if Buco actually made one like that back then.
4586C0BD-319D-40D7-AB97-956C5D35D9FA.jpeg
7D469B85-C6B8-44E5-9C27-BD2ED6F50029.jpeg

Cornelius

Practically Family
Very nice! Looks like the "Hecho in Mexico" line ends in "D.F." which would indicate Mexico City (hard to tell with the shearling). Makes sense to base a design business there, I suppose, but the acknowledged capitol of Mexican leatherwork is the city of Léon in the state of Guanajuato, about 240 miles northwest of Mexico City.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
I'm tempted because it looks so cool. But the seller is asking €450 which seems a bit steep for a Mexican made jacket.
This looks badass. Anyone familiar with this brand? 'Balboa' made in Mexico. Supposedly from the 40s. Goatskin.

@tmitchell59 ?

View attachment 320220 View attachment 320221 View attachment 320222 View attachment 320223 View attachment 320224

Looks like a Mexican made rendition of a Canadian Thunderbay. This one is horsehide. There is another owned by a forum member. Way too expensive for me. Mine was horsehide and not that great of quality.

DSC07536.jpg
DSC07503.jpg

Edward

Bartender

Not the same model exactly, but close to the jacket worn by Tim Curry as Dr FranknFurter. I'd love to know the origin of the tiger on the right breast: Curry's jacket had one on the back, and (aside form various fan-made costumes over the years), I have never seen another. If this jacket was not put together by a Rocky Horror fan and predates the film, then whatever the source of the tiger patch, it was the same as Curry's. Curious, because all other patches on the Frank jacket have clear origins; this is an outlier.

Over on Etsy, I recently got a bit excited when a UK based (obviously an importer) appeared selling this:

il_794xN.2387852154_e2hu.jpg

Looks fantastic. Normally a style only available from one or two Japanese makers at more than I can justify. This one was going around £200. At that sort of money, it won't be up to the level of my more expensive pieces, but it is possible to still have a nice kick-about jacket in a style I might wear less often. Thing is, I can't help but suspect this might not be their own photos, and even with that low price and ease of UK return (which does begin to make it tempting), I'm wary. If it really does look like this photo, I'd take a punt on it and return it if it is badly made or bad hide, but I'm not prepared to trust a seller who will use someone else's photos from the off. I figured if anyone is going to be able to point to this and say "yip, this is brandX, they copied their photos" it'll be here... Andeither way, this is a very cool photo.

Etsy seller here:

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/780...l-leather?ref=user_curated_list-3&pro=1&frs=1

Looks like a different, cheaper seller here:

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/971...k-real-leather?ref=hp_keep_shopping-1-1&frs=1

.... using same photos.

FWIW, here's a third seller with a similarly styles jacket who looks to be using a photo of their own:

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/923...eet-rocker-black-real?ref=hp_rf-2&pro=1&frs=1

il_794xN.2729700152_orku.jpg

Not quite as cool a look, clearly not broken in, though it still looks nice to my eyes. Might be less of a risk if their photos are honest... Sure would expect it to be close to as good as the 'big names', but for experimenting with a style I might get much less wear in...

dwilson

A-List Customer
Newbie question but what is the function of the huge metal hardware on the front? Is the idea to have the metal take the brunt of a slide?

Mysteryo

One Too Many
Not the same model exactly, but close to the jacket worn by Tim Curry as Dr FranknFurter. I'd love to know the origin of the tiger on the right breast: Curry's jacket had one on the back, and (aside form various fan-made costumes over the years), I have never seen another. If this jacket was not put together by a Rocky Horror fan and predates the film, then whatever the source of the tiger patch, it was the same as Curry's. Curious, because all other patches on the Frank jacket have clear origins; this is an outlier.

Over on Etsy, I recently got a bit excited when a UK based (obviously an importer) appeared selling this:

il_794xN.2387852154_e2hu.jpg

Looks fantastic. Normally a style only available from one or two Japanese makers at more than I can justify. This one was going around £200. At that sort of money, it won't be up to the level of my more expensive pieces, but it is possible to still have a nice kick-about jacket in a style I might wear less often. Thing is, I can't help but suspect this might not be their own photos, and even with that low price and ease of UK return (which does begin to make it tempting), I'm wary. If it really does look like this photo, I'd take a punt on it and return it if it is badly made or bad hide, but I'm not prepared to trust a seller who will use someone else's photos from the off. I figured if anyone is going to be able to point to this and say "yip, this is brandX, they copied their photos" it'll be here... Andeither way, this is a very cool photo.

Etsy seller here:

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/780...l-leather?ref=user_curated_list-3&pro=1&frs=1

Looks like a different, cheaper seller here:

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/971...k-real-leather?ref=hp_keep_shopping-1-1&frs=1

.... using same photos.

FWIW, here's a third seller with a similarly styles jacket who looks to be using a photo of their own:

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/923...eet-rocker-black-real?ref=hp_rf-2&pro=1&frs=1

il_794xN.2729700152_orku.jpg

Not quite as cool a look, clearly not broken in, though it still looks nice to my eyes. Might be less of a risk if their photos are honest... Sure would expect it to be close to as good as the 'big names', but for experimenting with a style I might get much less wear in...
I wouldn’t trust any of those sellers.
The first you mentionned has customer’s fit pict on his reviews, and it’s clearly a poor knock off..
They all seem to sell repros of the Centinela by Freewheelers (the original picture)
The third seller, cheaper one, displays one of the Chinese repro. I bought one from AliExpress and surprisingly it is not bad at all...
i advise you to search directly on AliExpress or taobao, not from those Etsy sellers...

Edward

Bartender
I wouldn’t trust any of those sellers.
The first you mentionned has customer’s fit pict on his reviews, and it’s clearly a poor knock off..
They all seem to sell repros of the Centinela by Freewheelers (the original picture)
The third seller, cheaper one, displays one of the Chinese repro. I bought one from AliExpress and surprisingly it is not bad at all...
i advise you to search directly on AliExpress or taobao, not from those Etsy sellers...

How does the price compare on Aliexpress? TBH, I'd be happy enough for someone to make a few extra quid if it meant the possibility of an easy UK return if it didn't work, versus the additional shipping and import costs... I should compare, though.

I did spot the review photo which is what put me onto the photos likely being pinched... the fit does look bad on their version. It's illustrative, though, that the honest cheaper repop that shows its own product rather than pinching someone else's photos looks significantly better!

Thanks. :)

Tom71

Call Me a Cab

I noticed that too. Interestingly enough, LL don´t seem to be too sure about the exact origin as well. They just say, the patch is
"a faithful remake of this 1960's Tiger’s head patch. As seen on jackets worn by Rockers during the 60's and 70's and even on Frank-N-Furter’s jacket in The Rocky Horror Picture Show."
Apparently, they found it cool and decided to repro it without a deep-dive into heritage etc.:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo