Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Photos of hatters tools

humanshoes

One Too Many
Museo dell’Arte del Cappello di Ghiffa, March 14, 2017

Click On Photos to Enlarge

33164350220_7862887f01_k.jpg

33164347620_d957b3b057_k.jpg
Wow! Thanks for sharing. I never knew this one even existed. I wonder how that blind stitch looks on the finished product.

humanshoes

One Too Many
Okay, not strictly a hatter's tool although I do intend to use it to cut leather hatbands. I am always in awe of the quality and durability of the things we made in this country one hundred years ago. I'm also saddened when I think about how many things we make in this country today that will be around and functioning one hundred years from now (not many to be sure). The insidious "planned obsolescence" mentality of most modern manufacturers is, to my mind, nothing more than the direct result of greed and laziness.That's why, when I get my hands on a piece of equipment like this American S.M.&T. Co. leather cutting machine (commonly used in shoe making shops to cut/trim soles and such), I have a deep and abiding respect for those maker's and craftsmen of bygone days who took pride in the fact that their product would provide a lifetime (or many lifetimes) of use. This big, bad boy was likely made somewhere around the 1920's
American Leather Cutter.JPG
and functions every bit as well today as it did the day it rolled off the production line.
American Leather Cutter.JPG

humanshoes

One Too Many
Just bought another hat stretcher (hey, it was cheap). This one still needs to be mounted on a board and I need a replacement heating element (if only for historic reasons). The shape of the dome is nice though and it's easy to operate.

View attachment 166946 View attachment 166947 View attachment 166948 View attachment 166949 View attachment 166950 View attachment 166951 View attachment 166952 View attachment 166953
That's a real beauty. Much more industrial looking than mine.

humanshoes

One Too Many
The latest member of the Phoenix Hat Company family. A Willcox & Gibbs straw braid sewing machine designed specifically for making Milan straw and hemp straw hats. This little American made beauty rolled of the production line circa 1880 and, after 139 years or so of what was likely a very busy life, it still works perfectly. I feel certain that the manufacturers of those days would have scoffed at the notion of planned obsolescence. I like to believe they would have been indignant and even angry that any craftsman or company would knowingly make a product that is designed to fail. I know I am.
1880 W & G Straw Braid Sewing Machine.jpg

humanshoes

One Too Many
I spent a few much needed hours doing Milan straw therapy and fine tuning the new straw braid machine this weekend. Just enough to make me realize that my straw/hemp hats are not quite ready for market. For now, I don't have the skill to insure a consistent, quality product, but, to paraphrase the great Chief Dan George in The Outlaw Jose Wales, I shall endeavor to persevere. (Please pardon all the big a** photos. I thought some of you folks might be interested in seeing the process) I'm calling this one "The Planter".
IMG_1316.JPG
IMG_1318.JPG
IMG_1321.JPG
IMG_1330.JPG
Milan Planter's Hat.JPG

Last edited:
I spent a few much needed hours doing Milan straw therapy and fine tuning the new straw braid machine this weekend. Just enough to make me realize that my straw/hemp hats are not quite ready for market. For now, I don't have the skill to insure a consistent, quality product, but, to paraphrase the great Chief Dan George in The Outlaw Jose Wales, I shall endeavor to persevere. (Please pardon all the big a** photos. I thought some of you folks might be interested in seeing the process) I'm calling this one "The Planter".
View attachment 167439 View attachment 167440 View attachment 167441 View attachment 167442 View attachment 167443

Looks pretty darn good to me! I love seeing the old machine back in use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Takatāpui