Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Photos of hatters tools

Just bought another hat stretcher (hey, it was cheap). This one still needs to be mounted on a board and I need a replacement heating element (if only for historic reasons). The shape of the dome is nice though and it's easy to operate.

View attachment 166946 View attachment 166947 View attachment 166948 View attachment 166949 View attachment 166950 View attachment 166951 View attachment 166952 View attachment 166953
Well designed base & I like the crank but looks like it does need to be mounted where the crank will clear the tabletop. Is 220 volt the household current there?

Well designed base & I like the crank but looks like it does need to be mounted where the crank will clear the tabletop. Is 220 volt the household current there?
Thanks, Jack. It does indeed look like it needs to be mounted on either a countertop or workbench to work properly. because otherwise the crank can't be operated as it should. I'm probably going to mount it on some wooden board of suitable thickness, to be able to move it around.

So a Singer 600 would do a good job for all the sewing on a hat, like the trim on the brim and the joinery of the dome and brim?

Most quality hats are of one-piece construction. That is, the brim and the crown are all one piece and not sewn together. There are exceptions (not including cheap hats) such as a Duplex/Dualist. As for the Singer 600, I’ll admit to not knowing anything about them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ChicagoWayVito

Practically Family
So a Singer 600 would do a good job for all the sewing on a hat, like the trim on the brim and the joinery of the dome and brim?
Women's hats are the most likely to be constructed of separate pieces for the crown and brim as Milliner's use a huge variety of different fabrics and construction techniques on their hats. But as @deadlyhandsome pointed out the dualist hat is two pieces, the crown is usually a straw variant and the brim is felt.

ChicagoWayVito

Practically Family
Having just googled Singer 600, I see that it is a flatbed sewing machine, for brim to crown sewing you would want a cylinder arm so that you can orient it properly.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
There's not a lot of sewing to do on a hat, if the hat band has come loose, it's best tacked by hand, using a technique known as blind stitching, so called because there's no trace of the stitches.

But if you wanted to sew on a hat band using a decorative stitch, then a sewing machine that can do that is ideal. You will need a free arm, and my memory is letting me down, I cannot remember if there was a free arm version of the Singer 600 series. It was a great machine, known as The Golden Panoramic, but I don't think that it had a free arm. The previous 400 series had a free arm version, as did the subsequent 700 series. Here's the 600 & 700 Singer, the free arm is plain to see.
singer golden panoramic.jpg singer gplen panoramic 1.jpg

Armando

New in Town
I moreso need it for the sweat band. How do I attach this instead? I see some use a zigzag stitching.

Rockwater

A-List Customer
This is a custom sized long oval and straight sided block made for a fellow FL’er.
It is constructed of select, straight grain mahogany 8/4” slabs. The woods grain is arranged in, I believe, an attractive symmetrical pattern.
Good for ‘show and go’.
5F2F19B3-F503-4E52-B60C-506C5240F79C.jpeg
FBBFCD0B-839C-4192-99B4-7F3494EC32CE.jpeg
D902BAB0-F704-4F2C-BF18-13F2F434F010.jpeg
6B79C022-8CA7-42B8-A704-CF22CA2FEBE0.jpeg
11B3E7A7-6856-44D2-80EF-9D3F9204F03E.jpeg

Complete with display stand and custom mahogany band block.

humanshoes

One Too Many
This is a custom sized long oval and straight sided block made for a fellow FL’er.
It is constructed of select, straight grain mahogany 8/4” slabs. The woods grain is arranged in, I believe, an attractive symmetrical pattern.
Good for ‘show and go’.
Absolutely stunning work Rockwater! Makes me wish I hat a hat shop full of them.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
No more hand sewing brim bindings. Just won this 1956 Singer 201-2 for that very purpose. This is one smooth running machine. The Husqvarna foot pedal isn't original to the Singer but it does a very nice job, nonetheless. Unfortunately, the cover over motor received some damage via FedEx shipping. It was pretty badly dented. I was able to take a block of Ipe, (eepay), wood and a hammer and I pounded the dent back out. It still looks bad, though, but it at least it doesn't affect the running condition. I'll look for another cover and replace it. Other than that, the Singer's in very good condition and all the decals are intact. It's a good looking machine and very nicely balanced, and very heavy too. I can't wait to get started with it.

Singer-1.jpg

Singer-2.jpg

Singer-3.jpg

Singer-4.jpg

This is the kind of stuff that makes me hesitant to buy anything off eBay. When they said that it was going to be shipped by FedEx, I was immediately nervous about that whole thing, and this is the way I received it. I'm just relieved that this was all that was damaged. I'll find another cover and replace it later on. Other than that, it runs great.
Singer-5.png

Cornshucker77

Call Me a Cab

Cornshucker77

Call Me a Cab
No more hand sewing brim bindings. Just won this 1956 Singer 201-2 for that very purpose. This is one smooth running machine. The Husqvarna foot pedal isn't original to the Singer but it does a very nice job, nonetheless. Unfortunately, the cover over motor received some damage via FedEx shipping. It was pretty badly dented. I was able to take a block of Ipe, (eepay), wood and a hammer and I pounded the dent back out. It still looks bad, though, but it at least it doesn't affect the running condition. I'll look for another cover and replace it. Other than that, the Singer's in very good condition and all the decals are intact. It's a good looking machine and very nicely balanced, and very heavy too. I can't wait to get started with it.

Singer-1.jpg

Singer-2.jpg

Singer-3.jpg

Singer-4.jpg

This is the kind of stuff that makes me hesitant to buy anything off eBay. When they said that it was going to be shipped by FedEx, I was immediately nervous about that whole thing, and this is the way I received it. I'm just relieved that this was all that was damaged. I'll find another cover and replace it later on. Other than that, it runs great.
Singer-5.png
Nice get Terry. Now I know who to send my brim bindings to. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider