Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Photos of hatters tools

John Galt

Vendor
Thanks for the assist. This is impressive:

a7yge5an.jpg

adahuhuj.jpg

ty4amu3a.jpg

jskeen

One of the Regulars
Made myself a couple of new toys.

I finally got some new grinder belts in and got my crown block shaped close enough to be useable. I think I am going to have to grind in just a little more taper in the top couple of inches though. The felt on this St Regis is a little heavier than the Resistal Waco I tried it on first, and I had a hard time getting the top pulled down tight, even after I made myself a puller down and runner down to work with. I also decided to make a quick punch awl rather than using my heavier one, as it's set up for harness leather. Just a scrap of wood turned and drilled to hold a standard sewing machine needle with a flat spot to index in hand so it doesn't twist in use. I just take a single turn around my pinky finger with the thread and that lets me control the tension.

This is my roughest beater hat, and I had quit wearing it because the taper had gotten really bad after washing, dying, and getting caught in a rainshower while on a scout campout. I tried blocking it with the sweat just turned out and slid down the block inside out, but the stitching couldn't take it and I ended up removing it and then reinstalling. Same story with the homberg I'm working on now. 'Cest la vie.

Reblocked Waco;
2013-09-17

2013-09-17

Tools of the trade;
2013-09-17

2013-09-17

John Galt

Vendor
Photos from an auction site (I may purchase it, so am being tight lipped :), a very old duckbill Tolliker. Note that it was made in two pieces.

jy5emu5a.jpg

9u6yna2u.jpg

ynavy3yz.jpg

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
JSKeen: Nice tools and great hatwork!

Note that it was made in two pieces.

If it was made in two pieces, I would expect the angle to be the same in front and back. I suspect it broke (most likely along the oars) - was repaired and served well since that. In any case, it's a great old tool, and the sole can easily be repaired. Hope, you win it :)

jskeen

One of the Regulars
I tend to agree, judging from the wood grain and orientation, I think it probably broke and was repaired. A little sanding and it's good for another 50 or more years of work. (at least if you don't hit the tips of the screws before you get the sole level again)

John Galt

Vendor
JSKeen: Nice tools and great hatwork!

If it was made in two pieces, I would expect the angle to be the same in front and back. I suspect it broke (most likely along the oars) - was repaired and served well since that. In any case, it's a great old tool, and the sole can easily be repaired. Hope, you win it :)

I tend to agree, judging from the wood grain and orientation, I think it probably broke and was repaired. A little sanding and it's good for another 50 or more years of work. (at least if you don't hit the tips of the screws before you get the sole level again)

I agree gentlemen, well stated.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
LoL ... pardon my pidgin! :D

"(most likely along the grain)" - of course!

In Danish we also have words like "trunk", that can have several different meanings. One of those can mean "oar", "wood grain" and "blood vessel". According to Mr. Murphy the wrong meaning will sometimes be chosen ... not to mention my occasional weird and "creative" sentence constructions. Well I hope, that speaking a main language hardens against some abuse. Please bear with me - I'm trying :)

John Galt

Vendor
LoL ... pardon my pidgin! :D

"(most likely along the grain)" - of course!

In Danish we also have words like "trunk", that can have several different meanings. One of those can mean "oar", "wood grain" and "blood vessel". According to Mr. Murphy the wrong meaning will sometimes be chosen ... not to mention my occasional weird and "creative" sentence constructions. Well I hope, that speaking a main language hardens against some abuse. Please bear with me - I'm trying :)

You write the language better than many Americans. I merely thought you were using a technical term :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart