Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Photos of hatters tools

John Galt

Vendor
No luck with the seller. (S)he (?) bought it at a UK flea market & knows nada...

"Faint hat never won fair lady."

John Galt

Vendor
I'm not a pro hatter yet, but I have used the (Leko) water soluble type in a spray bottle with decent results. Suggestions on a good alternative source would be appreciated.

John Galt

Vendor
Cropped photos from recent eBay auctions, not mine.

8asetahu.jpg

useredyn.jpg

e9a5emur.jpg

repyhudy.jpg

du9y4yha.jpg

ajateha8.jpg

John Galt

Vendor
What he said! These are hard to find.

You can see ads for them in The American Hatter. Sure wish I'd won one of these auctions! Same seller as the rounding jack I posted a while back. These were all reportedly "Grandpa's tools" if I remember correctly.

John Galt

Vendor
You are correct - that refreshes my memory. Hope I'm not competing with you on those new auctions (you know).

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Yes, I know - and no you're not. The defect one I would never buy as a tool - not if it was in good condition, either. I would love to own the halo-version from the same manufactorer, but not the model in question :)

John Galt

Vendor
Very nice purchase. I was watching this one but was engaged when it came up. You got it for a nice price too, if I recall correctly!

John Galt

Vendor
ManofKent's Christy's ruler first, rotated & cropped:

u4ymanav.jpg

Now mine, same style photo:

a8ydavy2.jpg

For comparison. Note that I have not seen them side by side yet. I am posting and cropping from a mobile with no way to view both before posting...

[Edit - As I thought, they do differ!]

Last edited:

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
ManofKent's Christy's ruler first, rotated & cropped:

Now mine, same style photo:

For comparison. Note that I have not seen them side by side yet. I am posting and cropping from a mobile with no way to view both before posting...

[Edit - As I thought, they do differ!]

I'm guessing your rule was an American one - mine is English. For those who are struggling to read the text on the photo - for a 7 1/2 hat mine gives 23 5/8 head and 24 7/8 hat compared with 23 3/4 and 24 3/4 respectively on yours.

John Galt

Vendor
Yes, mine is a late 1800's American model. I don't imagine yours is any earlier based on the company & font style, but I can make no claim of any real knowledge in that regard.

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yes, mine is a late 1800's American model. I don't imagine yours is any earlier based on the company & font style, but I can make no claim of any real knowledge in that regard.

Mine's marked Christy London on the side, which doesn't really help with dating, but I guessed early 20thC.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
I would say, that John's the "youngest" of the two. The construction using a brass tounge - and includes size 8 - seems "younger" to me. Richard's thoughts about origin (British vs. American) also sound realistic to me.

Anyway, mine holds a third version of meassurements - closest to John's:

hat_ruler.jpg

PS: Mine is also constructed with a brass tounge

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran