Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Photos of hatters tools

John Galt

Vendor
It's not that "young." ;-)

Mine is reliably dated between 1874 to 1897 based on the operating years of the Hartford, Connecticut hat shop that is identified on the side of the ruler.

"Faint hat never won fair lady."

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
John, I'm sorry I didn't put the youngster in quotes in my latest post (or this) ;)

"dated between 1874 to 1897" ... WoW, it's older than Cher! I really didn't realize that :D

John Galt

Vendor
Yes, mine is a late 1800's American model. I don't imagine yours is any earlier based on the company & font style, but I can make no claim of any real knowledge in that regard.

I actually meant "later" here. I agree with Ole that the Christy's ruler appears older. We know that the company is very old, and the non-uniform fractions does objectively seem to suggest more extreme age, akin to non-standardized spelling in old documents.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Another interesting difference is the range of hat sizes. They all start at 5 7/8, but Richard's and mine stop at 7 3/4 - while your goes all the way to 8. In the late 1800s that was h-u-g-e! :)

John Galt

Vendor
I have a hatter's rule marked J.R.Mast,co 111 Mercer st NY and it also stops at 8 . Mast was a supplier of hatters tools.

Maybe you could post photos of yours too. It would be neat to compare the figures...

John Galt

Vendor
Another interesting difference is the range of hat sizes. They all start at 5 7/8, but Richard's and mine stop at 7 3/4 - while your goes all the way to 8. In the late 1800s that was h-u-g-e! :)

It's still huge! Although average head sizes have gotten bigger (anecdotally - I'm confident but have no studies), I doubt if there has been much movement at the extremes. Also, size 8 is ostensibly - depending on which hat ruler you use - the same size now as then ;-)

Last edited:

John Galt

Vendor
I have a hatter's rule marked J.R.Mast,co 111 Mercer st NY and it also stops at 8 . Mast was a supplier of hatters tools.

I looked this up, and note that this was actually J.B. Mast Co. per several sources including the American Hatter. I don't know if "J.R." was a typo or an illegible letter on your ruler, and want to help you and others find information on this old school hat supply company that apparently dates to at least the 1880's.

Hatter4

One of the Regulars
Here's a picture of front and back of my hatter's rule, showing the number 8. And, you were right John, it is J B Mast - it was difficult to read that tiny lettering.
Ruler1.jpg Ruler2.jpg

John Galt

Vendor
e3yreza4.jpg

Rotated & reoriented. Frankly, the lettering looked like "JM" to me, so you did much better than I would have done based on the font. I guess it's a good thing you were that close - a search for JM may not have yielded results leading to the proper name...

Last edited:

John Galt

Vendor
Thanks for asking, I was gonna...

Here's one that passed me by on eBay while I was broke, at an amazing $77 - a rounding jack in a configuration I've not previously seen.

uqymazyg.jpg

zahu7yda.jpg

me9a9aba.jpg

dyzymaqy.jpg

sumerusu.jpg

sy5ade6y.jpg

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
It appears to me in your photos John that the material on the block is fiberglass matting covered with epoxy

This one is obviously straw - but I can't say for sure, that some of the rest isn't covered in fibreglass.

hatter4: It's very rare to see an electric shell iron up for sale. I would try to make one myself. If you make the heating element, you'll have to know what you're doing, to be safe. Instead, you could dismantle an old electric iron and make it heavier. The only difference between an ordinary iron and a shell iron is the weight.

Hatter4

One of the Regulars
I have an old electric shell iron. My friend took it apart - there had been a fire in it and the element was destroyed. There is no way to rewire it. In the early American Hatter's Supply catalog, they were listed in 9 lb or 12 lb sizes and they sold for $22.50.
ElecShellIron3.jpg ElecShellIron4.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic