Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Photos of hatters tools

John Galt

Vendor
Auction photos of a very expensive and a little different hat rule.

y2uqabeb.jpg

a8azanyd.jpg

gy8azu5u.jpg

tydyheqa.jpg

ypugynyj.jpg

a7e4ade9.jpg

7agedesa.jpg

"Faint hat never won fair lady."

humanshoes

One Too Many
Decided to have a go at making my own fedoras. It may be just a passing fancy so I didn't want to invest too much money on hatter's tools. After a day rummaging through the scrap box in my shop, looking at posts here on the lounge, and a little time at the band saw, I believe I have made adequate tools for the job. Spinner, puller downer, pusher down (old table leg), foot tolliker, and rounding jack. IMG_1801.jpg If I ever decide that hat making is not for me, then I'll be out about 10 bucks in materials and a day of my life which I thoroughly enjoyed. Purchased the fur felt capeline, liner, and other necessities from Leko. Simple man, simple tools, complicated process.

John Galt

Vendor
Decided to have a go at making my own fedoras. It may be just a passing fancy so I didn't want to invest too much money on hatter's tools. After a day rummaging through the scrap box in my shop, looking at posts here on the lounge, and a little time at the band saw, I believe I have made adequate tools for the job. Spinner, puller downer, pusher down (old table leg), foot tolliker, and rounding jack. View attachment 8285 If I ever decide that hat making is not for me, then I'll be out about 10 bucks in materials and a day of my life which I thoroughly enjoyed. Purchased the fur felt capeline, liner, and other necessities from Leko. Simple man, simple tools, complicated process.

You are a very talented dude. You should just make & sell hat tools.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Simple man, simple tools, complicated process.

The core set of hatter's tools is actually quite simple. The more complex tools and processes are more or less distinct, and I believe, most hatters of today primarily stick to the elementary set of tools. Your set seems absloutely well executed. Well done!

John: I noticed that ruler on The Bay. It seems, the seller generally has a little difficulties with his pricing. Anyway, the price on that ruler is half past ridiculous!

OT: Your inbox is full ;)

m0nk

One Too Many
Decided to have a go at making my own fedoras. It may be just a passing fancy so I didn't want to invest too much money on hatter's tools. After a day rummaging through the scrap box in my shop, looking at posts here on the lounge, and a little time at the band saw, I believe I have made adequate tools for the job. Spinner, puller downer, pusher down (old table leg), foot tolliker, and rounding jack. View attachment 8285 If I ever decide that hat making is not for me, then I'll be out about 10 bucks in materials and a day of my life which I thoroughly enjoyed. Purchased the fur felt capeline, liner, and other necessities from Leko. Simple man, simple tools, complicated process.

Ever thought of selling any custom made tools?

bloc

One of the Regulars
Playing with the "new" conformateur and formillion today. Formillion seems to come up about 1/2 inch small on me. I read somewhere about them needing to be calibrated to each other, perhaps they are not at the moment. Or perhaps I am doing something wrong. Seemed straightforward, still trying to get my head around it (as it were).

bloc

One of the Regulars
These look great :)

bloc

One of the Regulars
No I have never seen one before...do you know who the manufacturer is?
It seems to have been made from pieces of the formillion that went with the conformateur I have. I presume that the original got broken and this was made to replace it. There is a brass band at the back and I think the small wooden block in the centre is original. So I think it's a one-off, there's no makers mark.

I'll post more photos later.

humanshoes

One Too Many
Hat Tools

Hadn't really thought of making tools to sell, but there seems to be some interest here on the Lounge. I would intertain making tools for fellow loungers if the need is there. I'll be trying out my tools this weekend as I get started on my first fedora so I'll let you know if they are actually functional.

humanshoes

One Too Many
Hello, Landman. I believe the spinner is to place the hat block on so it will spin while stretching the hat body down over the block. I'm an absolute novice at hat making, so I just made the tools I thought I might need before making my first hat. I hate to stop in the middle of a project because I don't have what I need on hand. Any suggestions, of course, would be more than welcome.

Landman

One Too Many
Hello, Landman. I believe the spinner is to place the hat block on so it will spin while stretching the hat body down over the block. I'm an absolute novice at hat making, so I just made the tools I thought I might need before making my first hat. I hate to stop in the middle of a project because I don't have what I need on hand. Any suggestions, of course, would be more than welcome.

That is what I thought it might be for but wasn't sure. Are you going to use a vintage block or did you make one of those too? Everything in the photo looks fantastic. You are very talented!

John Galt

Vendor
You are right about the spinner. It serves as a block anchor for "pulling down" the brim and "pushing down" the cord, and for spinning the block while doing these, pouncing, etc.

bloc

One of the Regulars
Hadn't really thought of making tools to sell, but there seems to be some interest here on the Lounge. I would intertain making tools for fellow loungers if the need is there. I'll be trying out my tools this weekend as I get started on my first fedora so I'll let you know if they are actually functional.

Good luck with the hatmaking, be great to see the results.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats