Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Photos of hatters tools

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
I'm sure Mike does know Sir but for the benefit of others it's the tool used to mount the hat & spin the chemical out when cleaning. It used to be gas to spin out but who knows now? naptha? Perk?

majormoore

Vendor
Where are you finding these old tools,

I have one of the spinners just like the one you have, I also have a very old Hatters Supply Catalog that shows it sold with the motor and base the spinner came on and was used in the hat shops, looks like a old time fan motor and base that the spinner was on the motor shaft.

Keep posting the old tools you have.

Major Moore

jwalls said:
http://www.xoopit.com/s/20um7cjq58enes34ck48 Art, I know you and the Major will recognize this one. :)

Topper

Vendor

jwalls

Vendor
Yes sir, The miniature block and flange are sales samples. I've been collecting this stuff for 20+ years, but I wish I could find more of them.:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

navarre

Vendor
roudingjack.jpg

Hey there,
Just finished building myself a rounding jack and I'm to exited not to show it off to somebody who knows what it is. This one is made of pine and was planned to be just practice, I've been saving some beautiful cherry for this purpose, but now that its finished I'm happy with it and might save the cherry for something else. Best part, it only took a day and $20.00 to build. Works great and cuts from 1 1/4" to 7". Bring on the Tom Mix.
On a side note, I'm kinda new and was hoping one of the other hat making guys could help me source some quality ribbon. I just can't seem to get any where with ribbon or hat boxes. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

navarre

Vendor
Choices I guess, right now I'm using millinery petersham on my hats. I know there are better ribbon choices out there. I would like something that looks great but still curves well. Know I'm along way from a beautiful collection of ribbon like Art. Is there any body that does good vintage stripe patterns? Or reliable vintage ribbon. Can find ribbon all over the net but I am afraid to order yardage and have it show up and look like the stuff from the craft store.

navarre

Vendor
fedora_thetraveler.jpg

This ribbon is what I'm working with now. But choices are limited and I have found that quality I recieve is sometime inconsistant and I have ended up throwing away yards due to slight flaws that I feel are un-usable.

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I may be corrected, but to the best of my knowledge, the newer stuff is not what you are looking for; it's either acetate or polyester or occasionally rayon.

You want Petersham in rayon/cotton blend.

I have Petersham in solids I would be happy to sell you. I've sent some vintage ribbon to gentlemen here on the Lounge. A couple people on this thread can vouch for me and I've swapped ribbon with Art (Hi Art! :cool2:)

You can PM me if interested; please provide colors, width and length needed. I do not have any striped Petersham I am selling at this time.

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
navarre said:
fedora_thetraveler.jpg

This ribbon is what I'm working with now. But choices are limited and I have found that quality I recieve is sometime inconsistant and I have ended up throwing away yards due to slight flaws that I feel are un-usable.

That ribbon looks unusual and rather thick. Is it vintage?

navarre

Vendor
No, I get it from a little fabric shop that carries amazing stuff, just not to many choices on hat ribbon. Don't get me wrong, its doing alright. i don't feel anyone is picking up my hats and saying "Uh, this ribbon is crap!", i just know that there are better choices.
You can see the edge differance in the following pics. the top is a vintage facto hat, the bottom is what I'm using now.
http://i883.photobucket.com/albums/ac33/fiedligandfoe/ribbon1.jpg
http://i883.photobucket.com/albums/ac33/fiedligandfoe/ribbon2.jpg

navarre

Vendor
Sounds good to me, can't seem to activate PM function though, this forum stuffs all new to me and pretty sure I must be doing something wrong.
Tried enabling the e-mail function so if that works please contact me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points