Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Photos of hatters tools

Mr.Astor

Banned
John in regards to your sandbag what I was referring to is what I constructed,I bought from Northern Tools
Item number 28710-2456 page 457 current catalog. S hooks to hold bag canvas 3 chains that are held together with a 2" diameter ring raised and lowered on a pulley with a bathroom heat lamp that warms the sand from above. In a 24"X24" heat box it works wonders on a straw hat! So so on felt I still trust the right flange with flannel and the proper ironing technique, you're not ironing pant's or a shirt.HA

humanshoes

One Too Many
Thanks for the kind words, Bond. Glad you like the redesign. I don't know what that beautiful hat is that my tolliker is sitting on, but I'm gonna be looking for it in your Etsy shop.

John Galt

Vendor
John in regards to your sandbag what I was referring to is what I constructed,I bought from Northern Tools
Item number 28710-2456 page 457 current catalog. S hooks to hold bag canvas 3 chains that are held together with a 2" diameter ring raised and lowered on a pulley with a bathroom heat lamp that warms the sand from above. In a 24"X24" heat box it works wonders on a straw hat! So so on felt I still trust the right flange with flannel and the proper ironing technique, you're not ironing pant's or a shirt.HA

I'm seriously thinking about building one with an electric wok as the bowl & heat generator. Many have an actual temperature control, ranging from warm to 400+ degrees, and are made of stainless steel. I know the heat would still be at the top, but I think it might be worth a try. It shouldn't hurt a bit to turn one upside down.

As for the ironing, I tend to spray my flanging cloth, lay it on the brim, and then iron the target area until it is dry & repeat until done. With this flange bag, the only area that needed a lot of attention was the sides, where I made my bag a little too narrow to overlap far enough and with enough sand to press them hard enough against the flange, leaving a couple of small waves or wrinkles.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
I'm seriously thinking about building one with an electric wok as the bowl & heat generator.

A brilliant idea! :eusa_clap

Let it heat up, positioned as it's made for - turn off and flip over for flanging. I don't know the diameter of such a wok - or how much sand such a bagger could be made to hold - but I sure like the mental image it projects. The temperature range is more than adequate. You probably won't want to go much higher than 190 degrees.

John Galt

Vendor
Olė, they range in size from 12" to 18 1/2, generally. The big ones ought to work well, and they aren't that expensive. I'm going to look in thrift stores - I know I've seen them there before.

John Galt

Vendor
Maybe a hinge & rest on the lid of my box would help - then I could still mount the thing & heat it right side up before rotating it into the box for flanging. I'm pretty sure I'm going to put a hydraulic jack in the bottom, and some sort of pressure gauge would probably be warranted.

Last edited:

John Galt

Vendor
Vintage brim flanges, no newer than 1952, all size 7 1/4, freshly cleaned & ready for use.

From top to bottom:

901 R
2 inches
No maker's mark

2 1/4
Hatter's Supply House Chicago

2 1/2
Diamond

2 3/8
Hoffman

2 5/8
George Brothers

4uvy8u3u.jpg

John Galt

Vendor
More brim flanges. These are all 7 1/8. Same source for most of these. From top to bottom:

2 inch
MHSCO (Milliner & Hatter's Supply Co.?)

No block #
2 1/4 (I believe - no width #)
No maker's mark
This one has a very rounded brim, like a giant turban roll

2 1/2
Diamond

2 3/8
George Brothers (GB)

2 3/4
GB

2 3/4
Hatter's Supply House Chicago

y5uhe6eb.jpg

John Galt

Vendor
Crown blocks, various brands, many are Langenberg or George Brothers. A couple are very old.

Back row:

6 5/8
No 70
George Bros
6 (height)

6 3/4
No 173
GB (I believe)

6 3/4
Unknown #
Unknown maker
This as an old one

6 7/8
No 70

6 7/8
No 59
GB

6 7/8
No 107
GB
5 3/4

Next row:

"Avon"
Langenberg
5 3/4

GB

7 1/8
No number
"FEDORA"
5 5/8
Old & heavy

7 1/8 LO
No number
Langenberg

7 1/4
Hi Keen
Langenberg

7 1/4
No number
Langenberg

Next row:

7 1/4
"Taft"
MA Cummings & Co.
5 5/8

7 3/8
? Regal
Langenberg
5 5/8

7 3/8
GB
5 3/4

7 3/8
No 59
GB

7 1/2
No 70
GB

7 1/2
NN
Langenberg

Front row:

7 3/4
No 107
ACME NY
5 3/4

CD
Langenberg

u4ejaqaj.jpg

Last edited:

John Galt

Vendor
I have many more flanges in various sizes & styles. Still missing a couple of the larger sizes of crown blocks...

Last edited:

John Galt

Vendor

Never thanked you for this, but THANKS! I will probably use a pressure system in a box for economy of space, and some setup as described, but it is good to know how these things are done properly...

John Galt

Vendor
Oh yes, these ones are mine ;-)

I bought a bunch from a fellow a while back whose father & grandfather had been hatters, and who had apprenticed in their shop. Before that, I bought some blocks from a fellow who had attended the Langenberg auction. I've needed to clean them, and am just doing that.

Last edited:

John Galt

Vendor
John did you find that some of the Langenberg blocks had a rubbery substance on them?

None of the ones I bought, unless you are talking about the epoxy holding the straw bodies on some of the blocks. The flanges from the old hatter had a lot of dust & grime though. My hands wrinkled with all the scrubbing. I have much more to do, but can't complain, I bought everything the grandson still had in his basement at a great price. Probably a few thousand dollars worth at much less, in light if the bulk purchase.

Last edited:

Mr.Astor

Banned
A lot I bought, seems like they were trying to boost the original size a bit as they started to realize the dwindling market for 6 7/8 to 7. About 5 of mine are not raw wood they have had some sort of renovation in comparison to my other blocks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner