Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Photos of hatters tools

John Galt

Vendor
Photos by Gary Heller, displayed here with permission. Prints are available on Etsy. The hatter is unidentified...

garyhellerphotograph's shop on #etsy https://www.etsy.com/shop/garyhellerphotograph

e9udyta2.jpg

nazyreta.jpg

amabydet.jpg

tequ4a7e.jpg

Last edited:

Hatter4

One of the Regulars
John, these photos were taken at the Ritch Hat Shop at Old Bethpage Village Restoration on Long Island. I was their hatter for years. If you look at my web site, I am in this hat shop. The young man in the photos is demonstrating 19th cent. hatting of the 1860s. He is a reenactor.

Last edited:

John Galt

Vendor
Oliver, thanks for the clarification.

I thought that the shop looked much like some of your photos. I had requested permission & posted these with you in mind ;-)

Hatter4

One of the Regulars
The hat shop was built in 1810 and belonged to Lewis Ritch. It is an original building . The village is set in the 1860s and the hat shop shows 19th century hatting.

humanshoes

One Too Many
Interesting things going on here in this thread. Need to tune in more often. Anyway, just finished the new rounding jack in response to a request for an affordable "plain Jane" version. Nothing too fancy here, just a functional oak tool that uses standard utility knife blades and is a bit smaller than the full size version. Cutting depth is adjustable and has an optimal cutting width of just over 5 inches. IMG_2132.jpg IMG_2134.jpg IMG_2136.jpg IMG_2137.jpg

Hatter4

One of the Regulars
John, Old Bethpage Village is a living history museum, and the hat shop is still part of it. I make hats for reenactors--they are my biggest customers. I also make other hats. My hat shop is based on the Ritch Hat Shop, but it is a fully functional hat shop.

John Galt

Vendor
Just bought this very old sizing compass on eBay for $20.00. The handles have separated from the brass and it will need some repair, or will just go into my collection as is, but I couldn't pass on that deal.

aganyhut.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy