Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Photos of hatters tools

bond

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Would someone mind posting a pic of a flange stand ,I would like to make one for a flange I have.
Thanks

John Galt

Vendor
aqy5a3an.jpg

"Faint hat never won fair lady."

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Check your kitchen cuboards for a "flange stand" like this:

pintinox-gryde-mellem.jpg

With a diameter of around 10", it works great. The flange is not "locked" to the pot, but it's actually not a big problem. I used it for quite a while, and I was very happy with it. And then it complemented my crown-freshening-tool - an old soup laddle - so very well :)

bloc

One of the Regulars
Check your kitchen cuboards for a "flange stand" like this:

View attachment 9529

With a diameter of around 10", it works great. The flange is not "locked" to the pot, but it's actually not a big problem. I used it for quite a while, and I was very happy with it. And then it complemented my crown-freshening-tool - an old soup laddle - so very well :)

Never thought of using a pot, great idea, thank you. Love browsing on here, there's always something useful to try tomorrow. Cheers everyone.

John Galt

Vendor
I don't think it's a stretcher, although it was advertised as one. I think it's a spinning block, or something like that. If I'm right, and I think I am, these guys are pretty hard to find.

I've seen these and was just looking in the hat books I have for one. They are used to spin lacquer out of hats, pounce hats, etc. I will find the ad I'm thinking of and post later.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
When you clean a hat in a tub of naphtha, most of the grease and dirt in the felt will dissolve. You can clearly see it in the leftover solvent. But in the solvent, still trapped within the felt, there's just as much dirt, if not more. This solvent you will spin out of the felt, along with the dirt, dissolved in it. If you don't spin the hat, this dirt will still be in the felt, when the solvent has evaporated. A great tool ... congratulations ;)

Be careful, though! I would definitely mount it on a bearing with a weel and belt to keep the motor at safe distance. An asynchronous motor (ie. for a sewing machine) with "coal", "sliding contacts" (or whatever the English term) could be fatal close to a naphtha saturated environtment :flame:

Last edited:

John Galt

Vendor
Be careful, though! I would definitely mount it on a bearing with a weel and belt to keep the motor at safe distance. An asynchronous motor (ie. for a sewing machine) with "coal", "sliding contacts" (or whatever the English term) could be fatal close to a naphtha saturated environtment :flame:

That is very good advice, Olė. An aerosolized naphtha cloud could create quite a blast if sparked.

humanshoes

One Too Many
IMG_1825.jpg Bond, made this flange stand with 1" x 8" poplar that's readily available at Lowe's. Glued two pieces together for verticals, cut them at 6" high, and glued doweling in at 9 3/4" spacing. Uprights are screwed from underside with 1 1/2" wood screws and extra length was left on base plate for later adjustments if necessary. Not fancy, but a hell of lot more stable than the mixing bowl I was using.

Last edited:

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
That is very good advice, Olė. An aerosolized naphtha cloud could create quite a blast if sparked.

If you're the owner of a deceased bike and a garage, you could spend a couple of hours on making something like this:

Bike_Spinner.jpg

Use whatever you have lying around to brace the spinner-shaft against the wheel. Just an idea :)

Last edited:

John Galt

Vendor
Thanks John. I can't imagine rubbing crude oil on a hat!

Crude Oil in this context was exactly that as far as I can tell, although some references I found in old insurance books speak of the use of "mineral oil," which was a slightly more refined product.

Block Maker

New in Town
Where on earth do you guys find these wonderful toys! I am looking for some shackles for brims to reproduce to make available to guys that could use them…at a reasonable price. I have seen what is out there and while the repo's offered are nice…i think the price reflects the fact that there are not a lot making them. So if some one has a cache of them and wouldn't mind lending them for some measurements……i could have some available down the road!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner