Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Photos of hatters tools

I seem to be saying "They don't make 'em like they used to" more and more often these days, but in the case of the 401A it's spot on. This one stills runs like the day it came out of the factory and is built like a tank.

My now quite elderly mother still uses hers, which she has had since new. I recall an incident during my teen years, when she had taken her machine in for routine servicing. A man at the sewing machine shop tried to convince her to trade in her machine on a later model. She felt personally insulted by that. "He must think I'm stupid," she said.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
My now quite elderly mother still uses hers, which she has had since new. I recall an incident during my teen years, when she had taken her machine in for routine servicing. A man at the sewing machine shop tried to convince her to trade in her machine on a later model. She felt personally insulted by that. "He must think I'm stupid," she said.

My mother regrets her mother (my grandma) selling her sewing machine. She stated that it was much better than the modern ones.

Can you hear her using it from downstairs, Tony? ;)

Thundercolt

One of the Regulars
That "Hat Gauge" info should be on every Hatter's website, linked to ordering information. Especially helpful for someone looking for a Long Oval size if they have a perfect fitting hat to take measurements from at the sweatband. The Gauge makes it easy to figure out what the dimensions will be once it's stretched and elongated into a standard Long Oval.

humanshoes

One Too Many
That, tonyb, is a priceless story. Very smart woman your mother. I'm a lucky man to still have both my parents with me into their 80's and going strong. They grew up in a time before planned obsolescence was the order of the day. My mother considers my 1950 Singer 66-16 as something of a "modern" machine simply because it has reverse. IMG_2413.jpg

What amazed me, when I went shopping, is how inexpensively those old machines can still be had. The specialty ones, such as those designed specifically for sewing in sweatbands, fetch high prices, unless you are so fortunate as to come across a seller who doesn't know what he has.

I suppose that the "regular" old sewing machines are inexpensive because so many of them were produced (every home had one, at least, or so it seemed) and these days so few people (relatively) make their own clothing, or even mend it. Plentiful supply, low demand.

humanshoes

One Too Many
Amazes me too tonyb. To buy any product out there with this kind of quality and durability for under a C note ($60 for mine in the furniture grade cabinet) just can't be done in too many instances. Now, if I could find a 108W21 with the original brim binding attachments for even ten times that amount I wouldn't hesitate....

A couple of years ago I saw a retail store in Florida (I don't even recall the primary product they were selling) that had old sewing machines ALL over the store, covering the walls and windows. It took a lot of old machines spread out over the space, easily dozens of them. They must have been cheap enough to pull that off.

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
Hey everyone!
Most (all) of my equipment that I have so far is of the home-made variety. One might call it "rustic" as a compliment. This one, however, I am rather proud of. I think even my hero MacGyver would be impressed, even though I used more than a Swiss Army knife and a paper clip to make it.
ec99b14cee815e5e15ab1375ed05a5cb.jpg
d374a9e09571c08d331f65667919d669.jpg
abfb59f3ee23dc929395fb95bed53ff5.jpg
9eb30200110fb7d9029ba1b1d9b65bfb.jpg

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
Well rounded indeed, hatsRme! No more choppy brims from scissor jobs.☺ Now that I know that it works, I'll pretty it up with a bit more sanding and shellac.
DOGMAN- how right you are on the rewarding feeling. I find that particular emotion (plus being short on funds) to be the driving force behind all of my DIY projects, and what usually keeps me from getting too quickly discouraged from my many initial failures. Of course, on more than one occasion I have ended up spending far too much time and cash on a doomed project before realizing it's time to give up and pay a pro...

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
Joao, I knew you would disapprove! ☺ If you could see from the side it has another hole drilled for a bolt under the 12mm mark so it has the capability to leave a nice round 4 3/4" brim. Not so terrible now!

humanshoes

One Too Many
Rounding Jack 004.jpg Congratulations on your new rounding jack moehawk. Might I recommend a bottom plate to protect your cutting surface. Metal sheets can be purchased at Hobby Lobby in brass, aluminum, or copper (I use the .015 thickness)
and cut to size. A couple of screws to affix and you won't have to worry about cutting more than just your hat brim.

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
I'm confused... are we talking about a metal stand or a thing that goes on the bottom covering the point of the knife while using the jack? I am unsure of the use of the plate by the pics. I use a self-healing cutting mat made for rotary fabric cutters so I'm not worried about my benchtop.

navarre

Vendor
lol ... This may be one of those "how many angels can fit on the head of a pin" questions, but.... how big of a brim would their have to be before Joao brought out the trimmer? Hmmmm. :noidea:

I think we answered that one a while back, this hat might have been to much :)

But then again, you know the saying: "The longer you wear hats, the bigger they get", so he may get to this 7" brim. Just give him time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy