Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Photos of hatters tools

rsteinjr

New in Town
Precisely, I can envisage how one could make a 3D model of a head so the ideal conformateur for someone’s hat would be a molded block upon which one would have the shape of your own hat built-in the hat. Even more so if one could actually “ spray” the hair fibre on the mold with a 3D printer ( which would be the perfect anachronism , using a 21st century device to make an item, a hat, with the materials used in a far past!).

By the same maker

Your idea is fascinating, I’m going to think more about it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

milandro

A-List Customer
Your idea is fascinating, I’m going to think more about it

I am glad that I may have inspired your creativity. It would be nice if the hair (fur? wool?) fibre were to be sprayed with some sort of glue base into a perfect 3D model of a head but, would this be really necessary? What, if not the novelty content, would be the advantage over a normal hat? They can already print 3D hats made of some materials ( Plastics?). It seems to me that the motivation would be that you can make shapes otherwise difficult but not impossible with traditional methods.

( :) one thing, please, could you disable the Tapatalk signature appearing on each of your posts? It is not difficult to do on your phone or tapatalk preferences, it’s free advertising for Apple and for Tapatalk and adds nothing to your contributions ;))

3d-printing-hats-gabriela-ligenza.jpg

rsteinjr

New in Town
I am glad that I may have inspired your creativity. It would be nice if the hair (fur? wool?) fibre were to be sprayed with some sort of glue base into a perfect 3D model of a head but, would this be really necessary? What, if not the novelty content, would be the advantage over a normal hat? They can already print 3D hats made of some materials ( Plastics?). It seems to me that the motivation would be that you can make shapes otherwise difficult but not impossible with traditional methods.

( :) one thing, please, could you disable the Tapatalk signature appearing on each of your posts? It is not difficult to do on your phone or tapatalk preferences, it’s free advertising for Apple and for Tapatalk and adds nothing to your contributions ;))

I think I disabled it but not sure can you let me know?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hat and Rehat

Call Me a Cab

Why does that stick in your craw, Milandro?
Several long time members sign in with Tapatalk, and their ad.
You are the first member that seems to have issues with it.
What's up with that?

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
It's my understanding that the use of conformateurs by custom hatters is a relatively recent practice. Scientific Hat Finishing, for example, says, "before passing on to the more difficult processes of stiff hat work a chapter on conforming will be of value," and just further down the page, "nine-tenths of all hat sales require no conforming. Those customers who do need their hats shaped, however, will fully appreciate the advantage of being carefully fitted..." We can reasonably infer that it was intended for use with stiff hats primarily. I also think the higher quality of earlier felt contributed to a lack of need conform soft felt hats. Anecdotally, it certainly feels like my VS-renovated black Stetson holds my headshape a lot better than say, my modern premier Strat.

A good number of us here got custom band blocks from Art that are cut out in our headshape. An excellent tool for keeping hats comfortable. Now that Art is retiring, seems like there's a need for an enterprising person with a conformateur...

On blocks with built in head shapes....interesting idea. But I wonder what effect blocking an enlarged version of one's head shape might have on the flange and/or taper (as blocks are generally needing to be 1/4" larger than the intended finished hat size).

Last edited:

milandro

A-List Customer
I just don’t like to read an ad for tapatalk telling me which phone one uses on every post . It is unpaid publicity that can easily be removed, I have asked politely and made no fuss. In any case I don’t se the advantage of the free ad for Tapatalk signature.
This is an issue on many fora and I am certainly not the only person on line bothered by this. A 5 second search brought a number of complaints on other fora (there are many more). Typed at my computer (insert brand) while sipping coffee (insert brand) ;)

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=89446
https://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=322333
https://mycotopia.net/topic/99063-tapatalk-users-please-disable-your-default-signature/

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner