Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Physical Culture -- Bodybuilding

Gromulus

Practically Family
Been lifting for nearly thirty-five years and competed in bodybuilding and a few local powerlifting contests back in the eighties. While not nearly in the same shape as in my "previous life", I still work out on average of 5 - 6 days per week and am still in reasonable shape at age" 5'7" and 210 - 215# (although I would look much better at 200!). Plagued with some shoulder problems after years of lifting but I can still move some heavy weight, including 500# squats for a few reps on a good day.

In a nutshell, bodybuilding is the maximization of muscle and minimization of fat -and diet is nearly as important as training, especially as you get older! The most important things to keep in mind regarding training are consistency and intensity. You must also know your body and what works for you and that only comes with time and experience.

Aside from these basic axioms, the topic is very broad and I wouldn't even know where to start (or end!) but ask or PM me if you have any specific questions. While I used to train others on a personal level back in the day, I am still willing to give some pointers here and there.

I am glad to hear you are interested in pursuing a "classical" physique. As you probably know, modern bodybuilding isn't necessarily concerned with ultimate health. If you are looking for role models among the professionals, limit your field to those who achieved prominence before the early - mid 1950s, such as Steve Reeves (whose pictures you posted) and others of that era.

Me in 1985:

MrMuscularityContest1985.jpg

Last edited:

Old Rogue

Practically Family
I forgot about my meds and supplements. Over the years they have increased in number quite a bit.

I've been taking a high potency multi for years. Then I added C which less the frequency and severity of my colds (with rose hips for delayed release), garlic, glucosamine condroitin, mainly for my left knee, acidophilus, the best thing I ever did for my digestion, fish oil, saw palmetto, which was replaced by a stronger beta-prostate which contains chromium which helps control diabetes, and CoQ10 which helps the body generate energy. The body makes less of this as it ages.

I just started the glucosamine a couple of weeks ago. I don't know if it's just my imagination, but my joints do seem to be more flexible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails