Pickling

Discussion in 'Skills and Smarts' started by 1mach1, Apr 12, 2018.

1. 1mach1

1mach1

Does anyone have a good pickling recipe? I have tried it myself a few times with garlic and small pearl onions, both of which I enjoy emensly. The results are just OK. I have never researched a recipe, but mine always end up too "vinegary". Maybe I am using the wrong type vinegar (I have used white), or too much? I also use mustard seed, dill seed, celery seed, salt, and a little sugar. And thoughts and help would be appreciated.

Desert dog likes this.
  2. Desert dog

Desert dog My Mail is Forwarded Here

I had the same problem when making pickled green tomatoes. The last pickling I did was some beets from the garden. I used 50/50 vinegar to water, with spices, and they were perfect. Pinterest has canning recipes that are helpful.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

1mach1 likes this.
  3. AbbaDatDeHat

AbbaDatDeHat I'll Lock Up

Man i know what you’re talking about! If i can ever get my neighbor to give up his two family secret, regular to die for and spicy (hot) i’ll share them. By far the best i EVER had.
    I prob will have to find something for him to smoke before he will though.
    B

1mach1 and Desert dog like this.
  4. scotrace

scotrace Head Bartender Staff Member

I've actually been experimenting with this for a few months, with cucumbers, radishes, onions, etc. As mentioned above, 1/2 (cider) vinegar, half water is a good mix. I get it to the boil with the spices (some combination of dill seed, dill weed, coriander seed, mustard seed, a few cloves of garlic and a couple of dried red chilies, and some salt and a little sugar. When doing hot peppers, I add a tablespoon or two of olive oil to the jar after filling it.
    Put the vegetables in the jar(s), pour over the boiling liquid, and cap a bit loosely. When cooled, tighten and refrigerate. I only do one jar at a time and don't fuss with preparing them for long term shelf storage. They're gone in a week...
    ...except radishes. They smelled too bad to eat.
    Let them sit in the fridge for a couple days before serving.

AbbaDatDeHat, 1mach1 and Desert dog like this.
  5. 1mach1

1mach1

Thanks fellas. I appreciate the input. Im going to give it another go in the near future.

@scotrace maybe my mistake was not boiling the mix. That makes sense. Thanks!

Desert dog and AbbaDatDeHat like this.
  6. scottyrocks

scottyrocks I'll Lock Up

The only thing I've ever pickled have been hard boiled eggs. 50/50 mix vinegar and water. Let sit for 3 days.

Slice eggs in half and sprinkle with your choice of garnish. I think I've tried paprika, cinnamon, bacon bits, pepper, but not at the same time.

Studebaker Driver and Desert dog like this.
  7. scotrace

scotrace Head Bartender Staff Member

YEs, 1mach1, getting the liquid hot is the key. Good luck!

8. 1mach1

1mach1

I'm glad to know this information. Thanks again!

Studebaker Driver likes this.
  9. ClassyMica

ClassyMica New in Town

The way that I make my brine is simple yet delicious. I think using apple cider vinegar is the best because you can pickle anything. White wine and Rice vinegar are just as good I just personally prefer the apple cider. The way that I make my brine is: vinegar (About 1 Cup sometimes a little more), water(1 Cup), salt(2 teaspoons - I use pickling salt here -- You can get it at any supermarket), and sugar (1 Tablespoon). I combine all of the ingredients in a small saucepan over high heat. Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the salt and sugar. I usually let whatever I am pickling to sit in the refrigerator for a little over a week. Usually stick to cucumbers and carrots because they are my favorite. Sometimes I throw a few slices of jalapino peppers in for a little spice.

1mach1 likes this.
  10. Paisley

Paisley I'll Lock Up

I just pickled cherry tomatoes and onions with vinegar, salt, a little sugar, rosemary and peppercorns. The recipe, along with lots of other good ones, is in The Better Homes and Gardens Complete Canning Guide. Mostly, I use their recipe for drying cherry tomatoes in the oven.

11. Pickling? I got two words for you: quail eggs.

Bamaboots and AbbaDatDeHat like this.
  12. Colin G

Colin G Practically Family

Do not use softened water when pickling. If you have a water softener, put it in bypass and use hard water to pickle. Not sure why, but my mom and grandma told me this so I listened.

I'll have to check but I am sure the brine I use is 4 cups water, 2 cups pickling vinegar, and one 1/4" cup pickling salt.

I don't do pickles any longer but I still like making dilled carrots and dilled green beans.

13. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

I am such a dufus I thought this thread was going to be about a special way of tanning leather!!

14. DaveProc

DaveProc A-List Customer

If you google "Ball Blue Book Michigan State" you will find a pdf of the recipe book that has been put out for probably 3 quarters of a century by the Ball Mason Jar company. It has every old pickling recipe you could ever want.

St. Louis and David Conwill like this.