Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pics of my Avirex replica WWII bomber jacket

Owney_Madden

New in Town
Its great to wear in cold windy weather. I wear it when i need to get to class quick on my motorcycle and its freezing out. Im sure its not correct but i wore it with my fedora yesterday lol.
t34wd101.jpg

t34wd106.jpg

t34wd102.jpg

t34wd103.jpg

t34wd104.jpg

t34wd105.jpg

Milu

Familiar Face
There are lots of A2 afficionados that knock Avirex, especially the loose 80's style models. But it's a much more usable and user friendly jacket than an accurate replica. I bet that in 20 years time it will be a real collectable.

A fedora? Why not. Bogey wore one in Tokyo Joe with a G2 style jacket and I'm sure there are lot's of other examples.

yobbos1

New in Town
The Avirex is definitely 'user friendly' I never had any issues with mine and wish I still had it.:( I have seen photos of Charlton Heston in A2 and fedora. Secret of the Incas was the film I think.

CBI

One Too Many
The back of the jacket displays nose art and below, "England 1944". Too bad the 5th Air Force (patch on front of jacket) was based in Australia/Pacific Theater in WWII.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
CBI said:
The back of the jacket displays nose art and below, "England 1944". Too bad the 5th Air Force (patch on front of jacket) was based in Australia/Pacific Theater in WWII.

oh well - you just can't win'em all, can you?lol

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
5th AAF patch and England 44...etc

So what? You see folk in the Top Gun type G-1's with all the different patches that if you dissected all the patches, it would be impossible to have gathered them all in service [huh]

If YOU like it and feel good in it (and actually the leather is looking really good on that one;) ), then that's all that matters and most Joe Public will have 'no idea' these days what the patches mean.

And by all means, wear it with a fedora or a newsboy. As one of our members rightly said, Bogart looked great in an A2 and Fedora in Tokyo Joe!

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
You are so right Paddy. As stated in the "Your first flight jacket" thread, my second
A2 also was an Avirex (- with Sacktime pinup on the back even)
It was - and still is - a nice and comfortable jacket.
It's only when you start to read about the design and the designs of the different makers, you want/need/urge for/crave a real one.
Or some of us, that is.
Just enjoy your jacket Owney_Madden - with or without fedora.;)

Feraud

Bartender
yobbos1 said:
The Avirex is definitely 'user friendly' I never had any issues with mine and wish I still had it.:( I have seen photos of Charlton Heston in A2 and fedora. Secret of the Incas was the film I think.
Yep.
La7Video_08_09_2005_14_09_31.jpg

La7Video_08_09_2005_14_10_11.jpg

La7Video_08_09_2005_14_11_04.jpg

La7Video_08_09_2005_15_00_18.jpg

Heston also sported the look in Greatest Show on Earth too..

CBI

One Too Many
Hey, cut the "snob" line. If Avirex (who are in the biz of making WWII inspired clothes) would have taken an extra 2 minutes it would be an even cooler jacket. Its about getting it right (in any field of business, etc.) It does look pretty nice and I didn't bother to comment in the "its not a Goodwear" area because you are right, if it looks neat, wear it and most importantly, its JUST a jacket. A bit of overreaction here don't you think??? Sorry, I guess I could have said, "hey great jacket and BTW......" Yes, the Top Gun G-1's look silly with all of those "wrong" insignia on them. They could have just as easily gotten it right. The idea that no one in the general public knows so do whatever you want is bad planning in any field and not an argument worth supporting. Appologies seeing as some folks took my original post the wrong way.

Raymundo

One of the Regulars
I tried one on at an Army/Navy store several years ago. It is a sturdy and heavy jacket and good for cold weather wear with the fiberfill in the lining. Be carefull of the silky liner because it can tear at the neck and wear the sleeves are sown to the main body. I found the oversized fit a problem for me and I did not care for the shoulder droop of the epaulets but I still liked the overall appearance of the jacket and the lambskin leather. I normally wear a large but even a medium in this style is roomy. Would fit good on a husky guy with broad shoulders. That's not me. Still, Avirex (Cocpit) makes good looking jackets. Enjoy.

Ray

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
With the fedora-A2 type jacket combination just look at Indiana Jones. He wears them (OK his isn't quite an A2 but it's similar) both together and looks great.

And I know not everyone wants to look like Indy, so when I wear a leather jacket with a fedora I make it a grey fedora with a brown jacket. That way most people don't make IJ comments. Those who do anyway would do so with any fedora you wear so they're just worth ignoring.

bobbyball

One of the Regulars
I picked up a book recently which was a promotional piece for Avirex way back in 1988. It is called “Cowboys of the Sky” and has some nice pictures of original leather and sheepskin jackets.

Jeff Clyman was (probably still is) an avid collector and set up Avirex. They have had contracts to supply the military and I have seen this modern A-2. It is goatskin and similar to the Cooper modern military A2s.

I think to be fair to Avirex they were not setting out to make an exact copy – more a modern hybrid that nods it’s head to the pin-up and nose art of the period. Of course, they are pure Hollywood and suit that relaxed eighties fit that some people want along with handwarmer pockets and map printed linings which never happened in the real jackets. i remember seeing an Avirex with metal trim attached to the collars – very urban cowboy. Just like Charlton Heston’s jacket – probably a product of the film props department. Just love the exposed snap on the pockets.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
This would make an excellent addition to the 'Orphan Jackets' thread, which seeks to recognise and celebrate exactly this type of jacket that purists 'look down their noses at'.

The first series of Avirex A-2s in the 1970s were very good replicas by anyone's standards, and were streets ahead of anything else available at the time.

I can recommend 'Secret of the Incas' to anyone - apart from Heston's role, the appearance of the late Yma Sumac is a revelation (see the 'Passings') thread).

Speedbird

A-List Customer
just a bit of information on the design choices

CBI said:
Hey, cut the "snob" line. If Avirex (who are in the biz of making WWII inspired clothes) would have taken an extra 2 minutes it would be an even cooler jacket. Its about getting it right (in any field of business, etc.) It does look pretty nice and I didn't bother to comment in the "its not a Goodwear" area because you are right, if it looks neat, wear it and most importantly, its JUST a jacket. A bit of overreaction here don't you think??? Sorry, I guess I could have said, "hey great jacket and BTW......" Yes, the Top Gun G-1's look silly with all of those "wrong" insignia on them. They could have just as easily gotten it right. The idea that no one in the general public knows so do whatever you want is bad planning in any field and not an argument worth supporting. Appologies seeing as some folks took my original post the wrong way.

Not to resurrect an old thread or be mean to CBI or anyone else for the sake of it.... I think CBI makes a valid point but I used to work for Avirex in the early 1990's (and had been selling the jackets in the late 80's) so I have some info that might answer an old question (apologies if already answered elsewhere).

So anyway, why incorrect, impossible patch combinations? As mentioned elsewhere Jeff Clyman is an avid collector and afficionado and warbird fanatic. None of the Avirex products were thrown together in two minutes at either design or manufacture stage .... what I believe to be the truth of the matter is that conscious decisions were made, rightly or wrongly, to differentiate the authentic originals from the retail replicas. In the case of the Top Gun jacket - patches were a deliberately impossible to achieve combination so that no one could buy one and swan around misrepresenting themselves, at least to anyone who really had been in service. This was disguised by sales pitches such as - "the G-1 is a beloved talisman reflecting personal service, service of relatives, friends, a record of comradeship and friendships formed overseas with patches traded and swapped over a cold beer, each with their own story......." at least that or something like it was what I wrote for our sales literature and press briefings.... what was really meant was "you can buy the look, but you can never buy the history! For that you have to earn yourself".

As for the A-2, that was a perhaps misguided decision but not a slap dash one. Elements of decorative artwork were taken from different sources to create the distinctive nose art look without ever replicating an original exactly - that in a way was paying homage without prejudicing the veracity and authenticity of originals. Back in 1988 there wasn't a market for tip-top replicas for re-enactors or living historians. There were collectors of originals and purchasers of aspirations - and that was it. Avirex paid due respect to both and should be given credit for that. If everything had been copied exactly, in another 20 years FL will be trying to figure out the 80's replicas from surviving originals. Eventually so many different signature touches were added to each jacket like the patent and copyright lines and overly embroidered/silk screened linings they became too much for many but they certainly let the punter know they were buying a jacket with a back story. Some of the linings were staggeringly beautiful but inconceivable as truly authentic - but all were informed by reality.

Final thought: in the 1988 catalogue there were 7 different models of leather A-2's available to purchase; one came with two choices of nose art. 4 were authentically cut and were considered the flagship jackets in the range, 3 were modernised with convenient pockets and only 1 was available in the oversize 'blouson' cut prevalent in the '80's generally. 9 out every 10 jackets sold (in the UK in my experience) were the non -authentically cut models. That's what people wanted back then. People wanted the look and style but in a modern package. Only a very few diehard aviation enthusiasts wanted originality in totality and Cooper, Eastman, Cockpit Clothing Co, Aviation Leathercraft and Avirex delivered that with the 'niche' authentic products but all sold the more modern versions in far greater numbers.

Now where can I find the orphan flight jackets thread? I have a couple of poor orphans to add to it!

jon z

One of the Regulars
Deadstock Avirex on eBay

If anyone's interested there's one listed on eBay now. Deadstock, Horsehide, size 40, no artwork or patches, starting price $49.99, no bids as yet, item no. 260563376939.

I do not know the Seller or have any connection with him whatsoever. It's refreshing to note that he will accept returns for whatever reason. So if it doesn't fit or you just don't like it your not stuck.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo