Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pin placement-USAAF

Silver Dollar

Practically Family
There were two types of colonel's eagles. One is exactly the same as it is today and the other is a bit different. The first most common type is an eagle holding arrows and olive branches in it's talons. The eagle is facing towards the olive brances and away from the arrows. This was thought to be worn during peace time. Nowadays, this is the only type available. The second type which is super rare and can be older than the WWII eagles is the war eagle thought to be worn only during times the US was at war. The eagle faces towards the arrows and away from the olive branches. I had a set once but I can't seem to find them. I may have lost them with the rest of my stuff in Hurricane Andrew. One thing I forgot to mention is that the WWII colonel's eagle whether it's type one or two was a pin back type. The ones that were post war attached to the shirt by two pins held by two clips called frogs. They call this type clutch back. If anyone tries to sell you a WWII set and they're clutch backs, run the other way. Finally, the WWII eagles were made of sterling silver with a hallmark. Hope this helps somewhat.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here's how Hub wore his - cloth eagle. Excuse the nose hair, I didn't scan this one!

zemkerelease.jpg

-dixon cannon

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
I believe placement depended on whether it was Class-A's, or Class-B's.

Class-B's, like Hogan above, the rank is worn on the right collar, and the branch insignia was on the left. (Air Corp - wings with propeller)

Class-A's the rank was on the blouse coat's epaulets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StrangeRay