Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pipe Smoking

Bebop said:
Just a precautionary note on the salt and alcohol treatment. I have done it with no ill effects at all but a couple of pipe friends have had their bowls crack a few weeks after doing it. My guess is that they used too much alcohol and it dryed out the briar. [huh] I put it in the bowl drop by drop until I notice the salt has soaked it up. I have not even tried it in a Dunhill. I would hate to have a Dunhill crack. If anyone has any questions about pipes or wants to see some seriously beautiful works of art, try pulversbriar.com Marty owned Sherlocks Haven in San Francisco and is very knowledgable about pipes and tobaccos. When his shop was in S.F., I picked his brain and bought many pipes from him.

My guess is that they used rubbing alcohol. :eusa_doh: :p
You shouldn't smoke the pipe right after doing this either. Let it dry out a bit. I wouldn't smoke it too hot either. Then again, some people love burning out their pipes. :eusa_doh: :p

Regards,

J

Bebop

Practically Family
The alcohol-salt treatment I have read about does use rubbing alcohol in very small doses. I use Everclear. I will try 90 proof next time I clean my pipes in Wa. since it's very difficult to find Everclear in Wa.

Bebop said:
The alcohol-salt treatment I have read about does use rubbing alcohol in very small doses. I use Everclear. I will try 90 proof next time I clean my pipes in Wa. since it's very difficult to find Everclear in Wa.

Everclear!? Isn't that rubbing alcohol? ;) :p
I used some cheap 90 proof gin. I think the name was Stanton's or some such thing. I have had it sitting around for a long time. I finally found a use for it since I will never actually drink it. :D
I could use 151 but I am saving that for myself not a dirty pipe.;)

Bebop

Practically Family
jamespowers said:
Everclear!? Isn't that rubbing alcohol? ;) :p
I used some cheap 90 proof gin. I think the name was Stanton's or some such thing. I have had it sitting around for a long time. I finally found a use for it since I will never actually drink it. :D
I could use 151 but I am saving that for myself not a dirty pipe.;)

As far as I am concerned, it may as well be rubbing alcohol. People with a stronger constitution than I have, use it to mix drinks. For some reason, the state of Wa. thinks it's way too strong to sell to anyone as a mixer. It's readily available in Ca. liquor stores. I think it's just right for cleaning pipes. Way too strong for me to enjoy it as a drink. [huh]

I have not tried it but I bet using a good bourbon would impart the flavor onto the pipe and leave you with a sweet bourbon scent. There's a good reason to go out and buy a bottle of 151 Wild Turkey! :D

Bebop said:
As far as I am concerned, it may as well be rubbing alcohol. People with a stronger constitution than I have, use it to mix drinks. For some reason, the state of Wa. thinks it's way too strong to sell to anyone as a mixer. It's readily available in Ca. liquor stores. I think it's just right for cleaning pipes. Way too strong for me to enjoy it as a drink. [huh]

I have not tried it but I bet using a good bourbon would impart the flavor onto the pipe and leave you with a sweet bourbon scent. There's a good reason to go out and buy a bottle of 151 Wild Turkey! :D

I was thinking Bacardi 151 but that would be good too. :cheers1:

Edward

Bartender
There were no pipe smokers in my family in any generation I remember, but being something of an eccentric, I took it up for a few years at uni / early working days (this would have been about 96 through 2001). It was, like cigars at the time, a very occasional recreational thing for me. Gave it up years ago for one reason and another, but I do enjoy the smell of pipe tobacco - much more pleasant than many cigars, and all cigarettes. If only it did have health benefits for me, I'd likely take it up again in a flash, lol.

It facinates me how pipes are imbued with such a different social status than cigarettes, or (to a lesser extent) cigars. Pipes are associated with grandfathers, fine upstanding members of society, rugged but reliable men, whereas cigarettes nowadays are something villainous..... maybe partly because (leaving completely aside the passive smoking argument) pipesmoke is more pleasant to be around for the non-smoker? Or is it something as simple as pipes not being at all common, they don't attract the same negative press due to the damaging effects tobacco can have on health? Interesting. Of course, much of this also I think is affected by the way pipe tobacco is generally used: always seemed to me that whereas cigarettes are a habit which has to be fed, pipe-smoking is a hobby with the smoker deriving as much pleasure from the ritual as the actual smoke itself. I never heard of a pipe smoker rushing to light up as soon as possible in the morning either, lol.

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
well said Edward...especially with the status difference between the two...whenever i mention i smoking the occasional cigar and pipe i always get the same ol', "you know your increasing your chances of lung cancer?" and always from people who have to no clue how to light the end of a stick...i get tired of explaining you don't want to inhale pipe or cigar smoke but it becomes moot after so long...mouth and throat problems are more accurate lol ...anyways thats :eek:fftopic: ...pipe and cigars are just for relaxing. like you said Edward, pipe enthusiasts are not up before dawn craving a pinch of tobacco...lol
ps- this is all my opinion folks :D

eightbore

Suspended
Edward said:
It facinates me how pipes are imbued with such a different social status than cigarettes, or (to a lesser extent) cigars. Pipes are associated with grandfathers, fine upstanding members of society, rugged but reliable men, ... Of course, much of this also I think is affected by the way pipe tobacco is generally used: always seemed to me that whereas cigarettes are a habit which has to be fed, pipe-smoking is a hobby with the smoker deriving as much pleasure from the ritual as the actual smoke itself. I never heard of a pipe smoker rushing to light up as soon as possible in the morning either, lol.

You are absolutely right! Pipe smokers represent a completely different personality type. They are generally more leisurely in their manner while cig smokers are always rushing...rushing to work, rushing to the car, rushing to get that smoke in before something or other which requires them to engage in more rushing. In contrast, pipe smokers are almost always the type that will take an hour out of work or play to pack a bowl, pre-light....maybe let it sit for 10 minutes while chatting....and then finally smoke. These folks are clearly the sort that most people would rather hang around with. They embrace the time and listen to others, they appreciate the world around them, they enjoy the process of living rather than only the final objectives or goals. More technically, I think the socio-economic "status" of pipe smokers is enhanced by the drawn out "conspicuous leisure" embodied in the process. Siumultaneously however, it is also a more frugal/practical practice than smoking cigars or cigarettes. It is much less expensive (I can buy a kilo of Dunhill 965 for around $60USD, try that with cigars or cigs) and is also not as wasteful of tobbacco as it actually allows the smoking of otherwise discarded cigar butts. I think this makes the "hobby" appeal to the "everyman" as much as the upper class and helps it resist elitist overtones associated with other habits. For every image of a snobbish dandy smoking his dunhill straight grain pipe, there is also an image of pipe smoking during Shackleton's expedition or of some Midwestern American farmer with a corn cob clenched in his teeth. In short, there is a wonderfully egalitarian spirit to pipe smoking as any of the above mentioned characters or groups are, and would likely perceive one another as, brothers of the briar.

JMHO,

eightbore

Bebop

Practically Family
It is strange that when cigarette smokers find out I smoke a pipe, they usually tell me they think there is too much involved just to get a smoke from a pipe. I tell them that all the packing of the tobacco, tamping, gently lighting, puffing just right is part of the whole process. I don't think I would enjoy a pipe full of tobacco if it came pre-packed and there was no ritual in preparing to smoke involved. It all slows me down and relaxes me. I think I do more good to my spirit with pipe smoking than harm my body with the smoke alone. :)

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
cigarette smokers can't slow down enough to pack and light a pipe...they have to use their shaking hands to flick the lighter...lol lol...no offense folks

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
I've been a pipe smoker for the past several years. I do beleive in moderation, I usually smoke between one and four bowls a month (sometimes more, sometimes less). I've smoked a few cigars, didn't care for them much, and have never touched a cigarette.

Pipe smoking is very much a meditative thing for me. It's a good way to relax and take a moment out of an otherwise busy day.

I've been complimented several times by people passing by on my pipe.

I tend to smoke fairly inexpensive briars (though I'm picky about shape), but I have some nicer ones and non-briars as well that I usually use when I'm sitting on the back porch with a book on a lazy summer day. Especially my two gourd calabashes and my Stanwell HCA. I also have a long clay, which is a great smoke but not one I use much.

Nigel

One of the Regulars
scotrace said:
I just ordered a tin of Mcclelland's Christmas Cheer. Anyone else tried the 2007 edition?

I haven't ordered my tin yet this year. I usually order 2 tins, one to smoke right away and the other to smoke in 12 months time. With 12 months age on it, it is sublime. Initial reports suggest it is much like CC2006 but I cannot comment without having tried it.

To NickD: May I be so bold as to suggest a visit to SmokersForums a great online pipesmoking community. Plenty of wonderful people with a great collective knowledge.

dostacos

Practically Family
Michaelson said:
Oh, and just to make it clear, just because I had to watch my Dad die that way, I'm not one who 'blames the tobacco' for doing the deed. He made that choice, and who am I to condemn him for enjoying his vice? My Mom and sister don't understand my attitude, but that's the way it is. [huh]

I love the smell of a good pipe and cigar, but rarely indulge anymore, as I used to smoke both (one to the point of obsession), but gave it all just when our first daughter was born in 1980. I haven't regretted it one bit.

It's that old 'second hand smoke' thing that folks are up in arms about. I totally support anyone who wants to 'embrace their vice', be it overboard or in moderation....just don't force someone ELSE into having to 'embrace' that vice involuntarily.

Not trying to be a wet blanket here. Enjoy the pipe if that's your vice, and pleased to hear it's doing you good. Just understand others have rights too, and some do not choose to participate in that vice with you, especially those with breathing problems that are aggrevated BY having to breathe said second hand smoke.

Regards! Michaelson
I also quit when my kids were little, I started by smoking outside only {I used to sit on the patio and watch TV through the sliding glass door, cigar in one hand and a flyswatter in the other, take a puff then smack a June bug into the outer darkness of the back yard lol } then stopped totally when every cold I got turned to bronchitis, stopped smoking and solved that one. I love the smell of a GOOD cigar, and enjoy the pipe, but I do think when you are out and about you should be able to avoid the big blue clouds;)

Being from California, we have led the country in smoke free environments, though they are now getting a little to personal trying to ban smoking inside apartments etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran