Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pipe Smoking

eightbore

Suspended
Very sorry to hear about your father. However, it sounds like you have a very healthy attitude about his passing. I just buried my grandmother (never had a vice in her 86 years) and her quality of life over the last decade was not the best either due to alzheimers and heart disease. It seems we risk our necks when we walk out the door these days. [huh]

As for general comments regarding recent studies (and I write this with the firm belief that there exist three types of lies.....lies, damnable lies, and statistics) I think finer distinctions need to be made. Example: Most studies don't generally make distinctions between inhalers and non inhalers. Historically, my guess is pipe inahalation was a major exception to the rule. As more people have moved from cigarettes to the pipe however (trying to quit, perception of it being better for you, etc.), inhalation habits were probably maintained. That might account for increased mortality and lung cancer rates among pipe smokers now inhaling in greater proportion. Further, the move of many from cigs to the pipe has likely changed the socio-economic features of the average pipe smoker effectively thus reducing the groups general access to preventative health care. It might also be interesting to know how this changing socio-economic composition of the population has impacted the relative mortality rates in concert with the simultaneous degradation of access to health care in the US over the last 25 years. hmmmm.....

I would be interested to know two things about the study you cite: 1) What was the life span differential...5 years, 1 year, two months? and 2) Was the difference statistically significant at an acceptable level ... 95%? 99%? only 90%? In other words, can we beleive the results or is there a decent chance the results are capturing random variation? Anyway, aside from all the methodological issues that will exist in any study, if one really wanted to have an impact upon mortality in America and thus reduce general health insurance costs, it might be a good idea to target obesity and fast food LONG before going after the pipe smokers. :) lol :) Further, Burger King counter folks are usually much less friendly than my pusher... err....tobbaconist. :) lol :)

As for second hand smoke, and to be totally frank, I'll start worrying about my second hand smoke on public streets when drivers of big SUVs start worrying about their diesel exhaust. Any scientist who thinks he can measure the cumulative impact of completely unpredictable and unmeasurable exposures to second hand smoke is now a theologian as he is really asking how many theoretical angels can dance on the head of a statistical pin.

Best Regards,

eightbore

Michaelson

One Too Many
Thank you for your kind remarks about my Dad's passing, eightbore.

As I said, it's all about how one wants to read the data to come to a conclusion.;)

Regards! Michaelson

eightbore

Suspended
Think I got these stats right.....

Not to be argumentative, and this is really just a mental exercise as it's late here and I can't sleep, but let's think about these stats. Assuming the article you cite is 100% valid and without any methodological flaws, there exists a 10/100,000 chance that a non smoker will develop (not die from...the odds there are 86%) lung cancer. Given the article you mention, the risk for pipe smokers in relation to non smokers is expressed by... relative risk [RR] = 5.00 at a 95% confidence interval. Note that this is the highest relative risk in the study for any disease discussed.

Anyway...

non smoker odds - 10/100,000 = .000100
pipe smoker - .95(50/100,000) = .000475
gen. public/smoker and non - about 1/14 = .071428

Obviously, the last stat is VERY influenced by the cigarette smokers. It may very well be 1/7 for that population specifically. Obviously, I am not too worried about this...one hundredth of one percent vs. less than five hundredths of one percent? 1/10000 vs 4.7/10000 for non smokers vs. the pipers? Yes, it's a major percentage increase, but the numbers just aren't big enough compared to the smoker/gen. public numbers to matter all that much to most. As you mention, everyone has the right to make their own decisions obviously, but we might ask what daily actions in our lives might completely overcome this theoretical risk? Seatbelts? Looking both ways crossing the street? Weekly exercise? Further, when you think about the theoretical impact of second hand smoke being a very small (and really unmeasurable, lets face it) portion of this discussed difference, it's hard to justify policy being directed here....unless it's not really about health. [huh]

Honestly, the more I read articles on any subject, the more I realize that statistics is all about persuasion and manipulating variables or methods to either increase or decrease the impact of a given identical result. Obviously, all of that garbage goes out the window when someone you love becomes one of the 4/10,000 or even one of the 1/10000. I had a beautiful, healthy, intelligent non-smoking friend die of lung cancer in 1997 (age 42). The disease took her in a few weeks after initial diagnosis. For her, it wasn't about smoking or not, it was about being a poor doctoral student who couldn't afford to see a doctor and thought her "bronchitis" would get better. :(

Best,

eightbore

Michaelson

One Too Many
You're sure obsessing about this, aren't you?lol

I'm not arguing at all. I work at a University where statistics are taught on a daily basis. Statistics and data can be bent, twirlled and spun in any direction to prove any point wanted, as long as funding for research grants can continue to be awarded.

So, if you're happy with your results, fine by me. I don't buy it, but that's MY opinion based on the stats I've read.

Regards! Michaelson;)

Feraud

Bartender
Michaelson said:
I'm not arguing at all. I work at a University where statistics are taught on a daily basis. Statistics and data can be bent, twirlled and spun in any direction to prove any point wanted, as long as funding for research grants can continue to be awarded.

So, if you're happy with your results, fine by me. I don't buy it, but that's MY opinion based on the stats I've read.

Regards! Michaelson;)
Well said. :eusa_clap

eightbore

Suspended
Michaelson said:
You're sure obsessing about this, aren't you?lol
I'm not arguing at all. I work at a University where statistics are taught on a daily basis. Statistics and data can be bent....

Yup, Insomnia has me in it's grip tonight. :) lol :)

I agree wholeheartedly with your assesment of stats. I think life can really be boiled down to the phrase "you buys your tickets and you takes your chances" at most times and with most things. Some people like motorcycles, some like hunting, some like smoking, some drinking, and some simply like doing nothing at all.....but over time the probability of survival for everyone reaches zero. :)

Best,

eightbore

Michaelson

One Too Many
Yet another reason why I like stopping by the FL when I have the time.

You find folks like eightball that I would be MORE than happy to sit down and break bread with.

We agree, we disagree, and we leave the room still friends.

THAT'S the way the world SHOULD be!!!:)

My highest regards and respect, my friend!

Michaelson

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Marc Chevalier said:
IMG_1085_edited-2.jpg

IMG_1092_edited-1.jpg

These are beaufiul...like works of art.

VB

eightbore

Suspended
Michaelson said:
You find folks like eightball that I would be MORE than happy to sit down and break bread with.

Eightball?!?!?! Hey, I shoot rifles...not billiards! :(

Just kidding.....Any time you want a meal or one of your rare cigars, you are welcome to visit "North of 60".

eightbore

Michaelson

One Too Many
I shoot revolvers, so we're well matched.

If the opportunity arise, I'll definitely take you up on that invite!:)

Regards! Michaelson

I was just risking my life last night---sitting next to the Wurlitzer listening to The Crewcuts and smoking my pipe filled with Argosy Black. ;) :p
Oh and I found this cleaning routine that has pretty much amazed me. To clean the bowl of a pipe, my friend advised me to get some non-iodized salt and some 90 proof or more alcohol---be it gin, vodka or whatever. Fill the bowl to about the same level as you would with tobacco---except with the salt. Then wet the salt with the high proof alcohol until it is good and saturated. Let it sit for a few hours. Did I mention plugging the shank with a piece of paper towel or such first? :eusa_doh: :D
After the time has passed, throw out the salt and alcohol and clean the pipe bowl as you would after tobacco. You will see the salt stained brown. It removed all the tar and gunk in my bowl back to as it was new. :eusa_clap It worked great.
A little rubbing compound to get rid of the brown oxidation on the pipe stem and it looked and smoked like new. Amazing what a little elbow grease can do to an old pipe. :cool2:

Regards to all,

J

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
i smoke a Dr. Grabow "Golden Duke" straight briar...i did research and all i found were "Golden Duke" in the bent briar...i dont think they sell the straight briar in the "Golden Duke" model...anyway its a nice pipe that suprised me when i bought a 30's pipe case and it was in there...i smoke Borkum Reef bourbon flavored tobacco that my father picked up and its not half bad but i need to do more looking for a better smoke...just my 2 cents :D

ThomasV

New in Town
I'm looking to purchase a pipe and some tobacco. I smoked a pipe when I was in college. Not your typical thing to do in the late 80's unless it had something else in the bowl. I love a pipe and have since stopped smoking a cigar or cigarette. I'd love to smoke a pipe and drink a scotch, as the two go hand in hand. Any ideas on the right pipe to use? I'm found of the English pipe that Sherlock smoked, but I'm torn between that and the 60's long narrow pipe used in the tv show Mad Men.

Ecuador Jim

A-List Customer
Sherlock's pipe...

was his beloved Calabash. Those are great pipes. They have a meerscaum bowl, which provides a very cool smoke. I have a couple of bent stem briars, and a Kirsten.

The Kirsten is an odd design. A Boeing engineer was told by his doctor to quit smoking his pipe or die. He developed a new pipe, which does look like an engineer's design. It has a moisture reservoir, so the gurgle problem previously mentioned isn't a problem. The pipe is also modlular so if you mess up the bowl or other component, you can purchase a replacement. This Kirsten was developed in the 1930's and smokes quite cool, as does the meerschaum.

Green Miller

New in Town
Welcome, prodigal son...

Thomas V.: If you have a "brick and mortar" pipe and cigar shop near you that has a quality selection of pipes and tobacco, and someone who can help you, I suggest you go there. Brands that are good and that I started with are Savinelli and Stanwell. Pipe "seconds" from factories are great too. My first was a Savinelli "second" and I still smoke it now and then. Go with a straight pipe or a straight with a slight bend to it. Don't forget a pipe tool, pipe cleaners and matches! It will help you get used to the "mechanics" of smoking. Later on go for the calabash if you like!

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
i forgot to mention i light my pipe with Fedora Lounge matches whilst drinking out of 1 of my 4 Fedora Lounge pint glasses :D :D

Bebop

Practically Family
jamespowers said:
I was just risking my life last night---sitting next to the Wurlitzer listening to The Crewcuts and smoking my pipe filled with Argosy Black. ;) :p
Oh and I found this cleaning routine that has pretty much amazed me. To clean the bowl of a pipe, my friend advised me to get some non-iodized salt and some 90 proof or more alcohol---be it gin, vodka or whatever. Fill the bowl to about the same level as you would with tobacco---except with the salt. Then wet the salt with the high proof alcohol until it is good and saturated. Let it sit for a few hours. Did I mention plugging the shank with a piece of paper towel or such first? :eusa_doh: :D
After the time has passed, throw out the salt and alcohol and clean the pipe bowl as you would after tobacco. You will see the salt stained brown. It removed all the tar and gunk in my bowl back to as it was new. :eusa_clap It worked great.
A little rubbing compound to get rid of the brown oxidation on the pipe stem and it looked and smoked like new. Amazing what a little elbow grease can do to an old pipe. :cool2:

Regards to all,

J

Just a precautionary note on the salt and alcohol treatment. I have done it with no ill effects at all but a couple of pipe friends have had their bowls crack a few weeks after doing it. My guess is that they used too much alcohol and it dryed out the briar. [huh] I put it in the bowl drop by drop until I notice the salt has soaked it up. I have not even tried it in a Dunhill. I would hate to have a Dunhill crack. If anyone has any questions about pipes or wants to see some seriously beautiful works of art, try pulversbriar.com Marty owned Sherlocks Haven in San Francisco and is very knowledgable about pipes and tobaccos. When his shop was in S.F., I picked his brain and bought many pipes from him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran