Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Plaid Wool Mackinaws

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Hi Folks,

Here's a nice offering from Johnson Woolen Mills.
coat_hunting.jpg

http://johnsonwoolenmills.com//cata...d=105&osCsid=3911b8549339f4d7d4fbe9c2d9e25ea5

Combine that with an original Stormy Kromer Cap.
http://www.stormykromer.com/
49.jpg
36.jpg

All done up in most colors wanted.

Fairly nice for those chilly days and a cool evening out Trick-or-Treating. :)

Cheers!

Dan

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Thanks! I need that hat!

All such jackets are cringe expensive and I'm trying to figure out why. They're into calf-length camel overcoat territory for a kickaround. Yeesh.

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
I have a shawl collared Filson and the quality of materials is astounding. It's like wearing a campfire minus the pain. The pattern ain't bad either.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Songs around a campfire...

That's what it reminds me of. It's the sort of thing I'd wear if I was on horseback in the outback of Australia or Montana. I'd be getting the Billy brewing over the crackling, sparking wood fire, maybe a mouth organ playing in the background (with a Jewish harp mixed in), a coyote or dingo howling eerily in the wind, the laughter of friends around me... Now to me, that's close to heaven! Plus I'd be real toastie wrapped up in that jacket of BT's.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
I also like the River Junction coat. I have a vintage Woolrich (deadstock) that I wear infrequently, though it looks great with a hat (and begs for a pipe).

The Woolrich coat hasn't changed much over the years and is very very affordable:

503_C.JPG

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
the Billy brewing over the crackling, sparking wood fire, maybe a mouth organ playing in the background (with a Jewish harp mixed in), a coyote or dingo howling eerily in the wind, the laughter of friends around me...

Sounds noisy.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Just came from a local hunting supply store. An old family owned place with a lot of neat clothes. Filson and more. Last fall I went in to ask for a Stormy Kromer cap. They were listed on the SK website as a retailer. But they had chickened out and canceled the order thinking they'd never sell.
So today, as soon as the owner saw me (wearing my red Stormy Kromer), he said "I could have sold out of those $#@@! caps twice this winter!"
So now he has a shipment coming.

Speedster

Practically Family
Well, BT, your'e not alone

BellyTank said:
I've posted them here before-
this is my fave-

pmac4.jpg

But strangely, most here seem to think they're not so cool...

B
T

BT that coat from River Junction is also very high on my must have list. I've previously bought shirts from these folks and they are nice to deal with.

Speedster

Martina

One of the Regulars
Duxbak of Utica coat

Hello! I LOVE these jackets! My grandfather and uncles always wore them to hunt in and they are incredibly warm.

I have a similar jacket, made by Duxbak of Utica -the tag says that it's "all wool rainproofed". It has the usual front 4 snap flap pockets, plus the two side waist slit pockets, a rounded collar, and brass zippers on the sides of the back, near the fowl pocket (including some duck feathers IN the pocket). The lining is the usual tan colored heavy duty flannel.

Does anyone know anything about this name brand? It appears to be as heavy as the old Woolrich jackets but as I stated, the back sides have zippers, where as the Woolrich has a center button button, if I remember correctly.

Thanks!
Martina :)

Naphtali

Practically Family
If you act quickly, <www.sierratradingpost.com> is closing out Steinbock (Austria) loden hunting coats. List price is $860 -- this is not a typo!!. Close-out is $249.

I bought two, with the idea that one would be a perfect fit. The quality is so high, the styling for a non-dress wool coat is so good that She Who Must Be Obeyed threatened to cut me off unless I returned one. It was a difficult decision.

I have other wool coats and one Mongolian Camel's hair coat. Only one comes close to the Steinbock. And it is German, made in Munich. No way I'd pay $860 for a coat. Are you nuts? But Steinbock's close-out price is fair for what you get.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Early Season Bump...

Just thought I'd jump start this thread again and find out what kind of Mackinaws, Cruisers & Pensylvania Tuxidos some folks have or will be acquiring for the fall & winter season. I know in some places right now it's too darn hot to think of a wool coat, but what do you have in mind for the up coming fall & winter?
I was thinking of this little number here just to get me in that winter frame of mind and let my imagination cool off anyway.
503_C.JPG

And a few images of Autum to cool the mind. Enjoy.
35993888.PA050047copy.jpg

35993897.PA060065copy.jpg

35993893.PA060058copy.jpg

Cheers!

Dan

jeep44

One of the Regulars
This past year, I picked up a selection of 4-pocket Mackinaws made by Pendleton on eBay. I was able to get the same jacket in red/black, blue/black,and green/black. I don't know when Pendleton stopped making these, but they are very fine jackets with the Filson-type pocket in back, also. I also sprung for a new Filson mackinaw cruiser,too,and I have my eye on their double Mackinaw with the sheepskin collar. I've got enough wool ,I guess,now, if the weather would just cooperate...:p

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
New purchase...

I just got one of the Woolrich mackinaws (Pensylvania Tuxedo) off of Edmund-Bay. This should go well with my Stetson Sovereign in the fall & winter.:D

503_C.JPG

2b_1.JPG

They had added an extra layer of polar fleese to the inside, which I thought was a pretty nifty idea.
2c_1.JPG

Can't wait to use it this winter.

Cheers!

Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo