Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Plaid Wool Mackinaws

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Mysterious Mose said:
Hey, how about that Hercules-like Mackinaw-ish coat up there?

Regarding vintage wool mackinaws, their eBay prices are all over the place. Apparently, certain specific brands, colors, cuts and designs are sought after by the Japanese ... but I've never been able to figure out the exact criteria that they lust after.

Mysterious Mose

Practically Family
Marc Chevalier said:
... but I've never been able to figure out the exact criteria.

It's very easy:
If I like it add $100
If it's my size add $250
If it's my size and I like it $500
If i really need it $750 +

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I found this one at my friendly local thrift shop. Too short and ugly plaid so it stayed there. I'm thinking '70s from the collar. The belt makes it interesting though. It was half lined.

P1030423.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
On a less atrocious note:

_1273006591843.jpg

_1273006601803.jpg

_1273006627037.jpg

_1273006619683.jpg

_1272227369813.jpg

It looks pretty similar to Woolrich's offerings of the time- right down to the pocket arrangement and snaps. I don't know if woolrich had zippered game pockets in the '30s, though. Von Lengerke and Antoine by was bought by Abercrombie and Fitch in 1928.

WolfeMan

One of the Regulars
Anyone know how the "jeep coats" compare to these?
My great grandfather wore a mackinaw as a boy around the turn of the century, through cold Minnesota winters.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
How do you mean compare? In terms of warmth? Fit? Style?
Which pattern jeep coat to which kind of mackinaw?

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Thought I'd give this thread a "Bump", seeing as it is getting closer to the season for the 'Pennsylvania tuxedo'. It may be time to shake mine out of storage, especially when we go to the high school football home games. should go well with my campaign hat.

Cheers!

Dan

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Ive also been on the look out for a jacket that is similar to what my Pop had when I was growing up. It is still around and my sister now wears it. But it has seen better days. It would be considered or called a "newsboy jacket". Wool plaid with two hand warmer pockets and one inside pocket. I've seen one on ebay by Ralph Lauren that is as close to Pops jacket as possible but it is just too expensive for me right now.

Of course I suppose I could have my sister take extensive pictures of the jacket from every angle and have it reproduced, but that will be even more expensive. I'm just looking for a lighter warm alternative for the early Autumn season. for those nights that are chilly but not frozen.

Cheers!

Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace