Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Playboy Review

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
I got my Stetson Playboy yesterday and it looks like it was new old stock. It just does not look like it could ever have been worn. The felt is very, very thin and dense. No noticable felt stiffner at all. You can't handle the crown at all without denting it. If Optimo is trying to imitate a vintage felt this one is it. It is very similar to my Optimo except the Playboy is pounced finer.

The dimensions aren't quite what was advertised. It's 5 3/4 inches open crown and the brim is 2 5/8ths. It looks like a natural color, I'm not sure if the felt has any dye in it at all. The sweatband is top stitched in which is uncommon for a Stetson. I have an Imperial Stetson that doesn't even have that. For a fedora that is just a Royal Stetson it is a very high quality. I stretched the size to a 7 1/4 and it fits just fine. Another lucky find.

regards fedoralover

That is great. I am glad you like it. I love mine too.
Nothing like a lightweight hat that delivers on style and quality.
It makes me wonder what Stetson of today is thinking. They make low qulaity hats---period. There is no other way to say it. In two letters---PU! LOL I guess they still sell a lot of hats though. There must be a market for hats for the blind. LOL
I need to find a vintage Playboy in natural too. I doubt it will be too easy though. :D
Just look at the junk Stetson was calling a playboy in the 1960s. It was all downhill from there.

Regards to all,

J

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Wow!! that is one ugly hat. Also another reason I stay away from Stetson's that have black sweatbands. By the way James, what kind of edge does your playboy have around the brim? Mine is essentially a raw edge but then they came in about 1/8th of an inch and just sowed around it. No edging sewn on, just stitched. Also,does yours have the top stitched sweatband too?

regards fedoralover

Yeah, That is why the new Stetsons are not much better. It was a gradual backslide to stinkoness. LOL
Your Playboy has the same features mine does. The raw edge is stitched around the circumference of the brim. I just got up to check it out and it does have a top stitched sweatband as well. Fits nice too. Yeah, I had to put it on to check the fit. ;)

Regards to all,

J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy