Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Playing outside

The D.A.

Familiar Face
scotrace said:
It just struck me that children indoors on the internet unsupervised are probably at greater risk from Predatory Pedophiles than they are outside playing at a friend's house under watchful guardianship.

Absolutely! The Internet is a far greater menace to kids than playing outdoors. In the past victimizers had to risk far more to contact kids; now, thanks to the Internet, they have direct access to kids. They can pose as fellow teens, groom them with little risk to themselves, then arrange meetings in environments that are safe for them. This kind of thing happens far more often than the traditional stranger abduction.

Again, as with everything, it comes down to involved parenting.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Phil_in_CS said:
Many kids today can't simply run around being kids; they are constantly in some kind of organized activity, be it t ball, soccer, dance, art, etc. And if there are multiple kids in the family, they spend time watching the siblings games.

There is a wonderful section of Disney's animated film, "Fantasia 2000", that highlights this very point. Drawn in the style of Al Hirschfeld, the Golden Era's king of celebrity caricaturists, it uses Gershwin's "Rhapsody in Blue" to tell the story of a girl who is weary of being dragged from activity to activity, never getting a chance to breathe.

scotrace said:
It just struck me that children indoors on the internet unsupervised are probably at greater risk from Predatory Pedophiles than they are outside playing at a friend's house under watchful guardianship.

The worst part is that many children go to the pedophile in that case. They set up meeting to draw them away from a safe environment. There are tons of groups like NAMBLA that even teach their membership this! Isn't it about time we got rid of these groups? Free speech is one thing but they are a group dedicated to criminal acts. :rage:
Ok, now back to playing outside. Keeping children involved in activities to keep them out of trouble is a very old idea. The Victorians were very much for this. The small adults were taking piano lessons and other activities and were expected to spend every waking hour in the pursuit of some type of knowledge. Hobbies were another way to keep them involved.
It might be a good idea but forcing them to do something they have no interest in is a waste of time. Also, keeping all of their time involved is a bit much to me.

Regards,

J

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
When the playground gets WI-FI, things will change!

I fear we are raising a generation of over-proteccted and sheltered children. When I was a kid, you rode your bike all day and as said before, came home when the street lights came on. Oh and we had BB guns, toy pistols, darts..firecrackers, and :eek: MATCHES. We never burned the city down!

There were dangerous people out there in the past...but you had some things that have DIED in America:

Your NEIGHBOR or STRANGER in YOUR TOWN looked after eachother. I couldn't get away with michief, fear that someone would telephone mom to report what her kids were doing. Today, "don't get involved" and look the other way, is the rule. Sad.

Two, THERE are TONS of UNTREATED MENTAL patients on the streets. And a lot more DRUG BURNOUTS, and a lot more SEX DERANGED folks who are the result of ANYTHING GOES mentality. I am very conservative about this.
Look at the ROMANS. History repeats itself. Our country is in trouble.

Just look at the empty playgrounds....

In ref to the NAMBLA thing ...

There's a great book about the Uranians by Timothy d'Arch Smith called Love in earnest: Some notes on the lives and writings of English 'Uranian' poets from 1889 to 1930 . Sadly out of print. A very interesting analysis of what would now be called paedophile literature, the people who wrote it, and the social conditions of the time.

bk

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
mysterygal said:
A thing to remember is that kids get worn out just like we do.
Especially in the psychological realm. Children are not psychologically ready to handle acting like adults, with their lives crammed full of "edifying" activities. A kid is a kid. Give a child what he/she can realistically cope with. Challenge the kid, definitely, but don't overload or you'll sink the ship.

Baron Kurtz said:
In ref to the NAMBLA thing ...

There's a great book about the Uranians by Timothy d'Arch Smith called Love in earnest: Some notes on the lives and writings of English 'Uranian' poets from 1889 to 1930 . Sadly out of print. A very interesting analysis of what would now be called paedophile literature, the people who wrote it, and the social conditions of the time.

bk

There were these type of people in the Golden Era too. Remember the Birdman of Alcatraz---Robert Stroud? Yeah he wrote a lot of stories like that was well. You didn't see that in the movie did you? :eek:

Regards,

J

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Andykev said:
Look at the ROMANS.
And everyone does, it seems. Environmentalists argue that water pipes made from lead deranged the Romans' senses. Anti-illegal immigration activists insist that "Barbarian" incursions across the frozen Rhine led to Rome's downfall. Religious fundamentalists claim that Rome's multitude of foreign gods and faiths corroded the empire (until Constantine). I say, "Rome is Rome and America is America." If history repeated itself so faithfully, then we'd all make much better soothsayers.

jamespowers said:
There were these type of people in the Golden Era too. Remember the Birdman of Alcatraz---Robert Stroud? Yeah he wrote a lot of stories like that was well. You didn't see that in the movie did you? :eek:

Regards,

J

Actually, in purely literary terms, alot of the Uranian stuff is very good (and incidentally, most of them were not abusing boys. Their writing was quite often pure fantasy. The best of the bunch was a paedophile, though. A schoolmaster, in fact, who groomed a succession of boys under age of 12). Funnily enough the Uranians were reminiscing for the days of old (Greece) when Uranian love - not necessarily (in fact very rarely) sexual - was not frowned upon. Funny what people will get nostalgic about, ain't it?

I doubt the birdman was much of a writer. I may be wrong.

bk

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Whoops there I go again

Marc Chevalier said:
And everyone does, it seems. Environmentalists argue that water pipes made from lead deranged the Romans' senses. Anti-illegal immigration activists insist that "Barbarian" incursions across the frozen Rhine led to Rome's downfall. Religious fundamentalists claim that Rome's multitude of foreign gods and faiths corroded the empire (until Constantine). I say, "Rome is Rome and America is America." If history repeated itself so faithfully, then we'd all make much better soothsayers.

My comment on the Romans wasn't all inclusive. I was referring to what happens to most great civilizations that evolve into "having it too easy" and going into social and moral decay. Lead pipes, hell, I think in America it is what the liberals are smoking in THEIRS!lol

Marc Chevalier said:

Well, lets take a bit from a man who was there:
"Thus, before our own time, the customs of our ancestors produced excellent men, and eminent men preserved our ancient customs and the institutions of their forefathers. But through the republic, when it came to us, was like a beautiful painting, whose colours, however, were already fading with age, our own time not only has neglected to freshen it by renewing the original colors, but has not even taken the trouble to preserve its configuration and, so to speak, its general outlines. For what is now left of the "ancient customs" on which ... "the commonwealth of Rome" was "founded firm"? They have been, as we see, so completely buried in oblivion that they are not only no longer practiced, but are already unknown. And what shall I say of the men? ... For it is through our own faults, not by any accident, that we retain only the form of the commonwealth, but have long since lost its substance..."
Marcus Tullius Cicero
More can be found in his Scipio's Dream purportedly written between 54 and 51 B.C. His death signaled the fall of the Roman Empire, as he predicted, because there was no one left to fight against what was happening. This we can learn from. :cheers1:

Regards to all,

J

Baron Kurtz said:
I doubt the birdman was much of a writer. I may be wrong.

You're kidding right? They found tons of this stuff after his death. He had plenty of time since he spent the majority of his life in prison. He wrote prolifically and quite descriptively. Fortunately nothing was ever published. Only his Bird Diseases books were actually published. It was also fortunate he was never let out of prison.
You can read what you want but I am glad it is not still in print. There are enough manuals out there by the likes of NAMBLA, Paedophile Information Exchange in London, Danish Pedophile Association (disbanded in 2004), MARTIJN and a ton of others I won't mention because there is no need to give such organizations copy anywhere.

Regards to all,

J

jamespowers said:
You can read what you want but I am glad it is not still in print.

Well, the actual Uranian literature is still in print (at least some of it). I picked up a recent reprint of Lord Alfred Douglas' book "Two Loves, and other poems" (sans his later life purges) at a library sale.

The book analysing the people, time and literature is out of print ...

bk

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
jamespowers said:
Marcus Tullius Cicero ... His death signaled the fall of the Roman Empire, as he predicted, because there was no one left to fight against what was happening.

Didn't you mean to say that Cicero's death signalled the fall of the Roman Republic? After all, it was just 10 days before Cicero's murder that Octavian, Lepidus, and Mark Antony formed the Second Triumvirate. Now that led to birth of the Roman Empire, which flourished for another two hundred years or so.

Marc Chevalier said:
Didn't you mean to say that Cicero's death signalled the fall of the Roman Republic? After all, it was just 10 days before Cicero's murder that Octavian, Lepidus, and Mark Antony formed the Second Triumvirate. Now that led to birth of the Roman Empire, which flourished for another two hundred years or so.

Yes, yes. I got the wrong word in there. I meant Republic. Duh. :eek:
I don't think we want to revisit the Roman Empire's excesses in modern times.

Regards,

J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot